Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 what's your line of work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Mary D.
Chatty Knitter

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  04:05:48 AM  Show Profile Send Mary D. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an unemployed payroll manager who would love to find work related to knitting. Knitting has kept me sane during my unemployment.

Mary D.
Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  05:18:42 AM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a Judicial Assistant to a Judge in a civil litigation courtroom. I manage the courtroom, read verdicts, give people the oath "Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth....", etc. etc. I like my job, because I work with a great group of people and it can be interesting, but it is not at all creative. I started out going to fashion design school and got detoured. Knitting is a creative outlet in my crazy life. I knit on the commute to and from work and at lunch. If I get time, I knit some more at home.

Jeannine

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/my_photos

Destashing - For Sale:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/album?.dir=/cb32
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobbie
New Pal

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  06:49:04 AM  Show Profile Send HollyHobbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an editorial assistant for a scientific journal. Basically my inbox fills up with emails and I do my best to empty them out before the next day's pile rolls in. My work is very monotonous, routine, and predictable, but I work with some pretty fun people, which helps. One of the reasons I love knitting so much is that, after a day spent in front of the computer shuffling electronic files, it feels great to engage my creative side and work with something tangible. My dream is really to open my own yarn shop/cafe, but I think there is much knitting/business experience I have yet to acquire before I could seriously consider that (I've only been knitting a year!)

Holly R.
Go to Top of Page

Bean
Chatty Knitter

143 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  08:07:17 AM  Show Profile Send Bean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a graphic designer in the field of economic research.

Donna
Go to Top of Page

eyeknit2
Warming Up

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  8:04:02 PM  Show Profile Send eyeknit2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a cytologist where I look at beautifully stained cells doing all sorts of good and sometimes bad things. I think knitting appeals to me because of all of the colors and textures I see at my LYS. Very overwhelming but exciting!!
Go to Top of Page

freecia
Chatty Knitter

195 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  10:04:37 PM  Show Profile Send freecia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another Software Engineer who is getting her master's. I find it soothing to create a tangible finished object.
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  10:39:54 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet another Software Engineer (with Masters). Currently doing Integrated Logistics Support (ILS). So is knitting like programming only because of the previous use of punched cards, or is there more?

Wendy
We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  04:24:09 AM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do realtime closed captioning for live television programs. Mostly news, shopping, and a never-ending stream of sports. I knit during commercial breaks!

Melissa
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  07:39:47 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a system process engineer in software. I work at the local university for a research centre which attempts to educate the software community in our area.

Again I have always thought that knitting patterns were the first example of OO code. You know patterns are object templates - create an object (stitches, needles, sleeves, back front) get it to reference/ incorporate other objects, join then together to make a system etc etc...

Bet the knitting patterns just like the computer code (Ada Lovelace) were invented by a woman.

With me the knitting came first and computing came after

Sabrina
Go to Top of Page

dignitynaplomb
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  08:35:53 AM  Show Profile Send dignitynaplomb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an accountant for a construction company that specializes in HVAC, plumbing, and sprinkler installation in highrise and apartment buildings.

-Heather

http://sitnknit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tedbets
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  09:18:47 AM  Show Profile Send tedbets a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flutebabe,
I'll bet that in your "myoosical" training you've encountered lots of real life situations/characters that would be fine fodder for the word processor. Start writing!!
Betsy
Go to Top of Page

Musicknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  4:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Musicknitter's Homepage Send Musicknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Flutebabe I'm also a myoosishun, though I teach music to support my habit. I teach 5th-8th grade band at several private schools plus private trumpet lessons on the side.
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  5:30:58 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a school librarian - 4 buildings (2 elementary, 1 middle school and 1 high school). I joke that I am the stereotypical librarian - single, live with cats and knit. Knitting relieves stress and keeps me busy at night. Tried knitting during breaks at an inservice - was not well received. Have a huge stash that I'm hoping to reduce when I retire in a couple of years.
Go to Top of Page

argoknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  8:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit argoknit's Homepage Send argoknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! This has been really interesting to see what everyone does. I am currently working as a Web Site supervisor for a publisher (coordinating the day-to-day as well as planning our site for the future). I also serve as a graphic designer in my position. My background is in apparel design I used to be an assistant designer for Wilsons Leather and then went on to design life jackets, wetsuits and rainwear before moving into graphic and web design.
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  9:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jaw, I get crabby if I don't get to knit during meetings, or at least during breaks. I can't believe they were against your knitting. Shame on them.

Cameellie
Remember, everybody is somebody else's weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

addicted
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  11:20:46 AM  Show Profile Send addicted a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Social worker, currently in hospice work. I'll sometimes sit & knit & talk with/sing to/pray with my non-responsive clients, just like i did w/ my mom when she was ill...

- Nancy
Go to Top of Page

tess1e
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
627 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  12:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit tess1e's Homepage Send tess1e a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a trained commercial interior designer but now have the job of my dreams - I run an online yarn shop and when I'm not doing that I look after 4 strapping boys to relax! Hmmm

I'm trying to do more knitting and designing than just dispatching now though as that's much more fun and so far, fingers crossed it's going great. Got 5 things on needles/hooks and try to finish one a week 16 month old baby permitting. My shop is my stash!

Love reading up on what everyone does, it's great to try to picture you all doing what you do!!

~ Give me one good reason why you can do something instead of ten reasons why you can't ~

www.yarn-shop.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  1:04:46 PM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Musicknitter and tedbets, :)

Tedbets, you're right about the characters. However, I don't know if any of them are worthy of an entire novel... :) GOOD idea, however! I'll have to ponder that.

Musicknitter, I tried the teaching avenue. Was NOT for me. I repeat NOT. I taught privately for 4 years in the public schools and almost lost my sanity. Not that I'm sane now... ;) For now, it is performing only. My boss lets me out to do gigs and such. I have a great boss.
Go to Top of Page

Laxmom4x
Gabber Extraordinaire

527 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  3:05:17 PM  Show Profile Send Laxmom4x a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also a school librarian. But I only have one building with 500 kids. I am also married with 4 kids of my own, and no cats (allergic), so the stereotype breaks down.

KNitting as an addiction. Plain and simple.

Janet

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
Go to Top of Page

ohgrumpy@fcgnetworks.net

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  5:00:58 PM  Show Profile Send ohgrumpy@fcgnetworks.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! What a group. My profession is knitting. I have a line of felted 22 bags, totes, etc. I am a member of the League of NH Craftsmen. When I'm not knitting I'm renovating an old farmhouse with my husband or gardening.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?