Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 what's your line of work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

mkdow
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  5:53:23 PM  Show Profile Send mkdow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a medical librarian. Two weeks ago I started a new job at a university dental school library after 10 years at hospital libraries. I think it's probably too soon to start knitting at the reference desk :).

This is a second career -- I was a claims adjuster in personal injury litigation for 18 years before I got tired of that BS and went to library school. My husband had just had cancer and while researching treatment options pre-web I decided it would be cool to work in a hospital library. And it is.
Go to Top of Page

Laxmom4x
Gabber Extraordinaire

527 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  03:46:12 AM  Show Profile Send Laxmom4x a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sure hope someone is analyzing this data!

I am a librarian, currently working in an elementary school. I think this explains why I keep collecting so many patterns and organizing them! (and suggested the data should be categorized.)

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
Go to Top of Page

miele
Chatty Knitter

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  04:51:55 AM  Show Profile Send miele a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another librarian here! I, too, had another career: I was in stock brokerage and regulation of that industry. I escaped and went to library school, and now work PT adult reference and reader's advisory in a public library.
Ellen
Go to Top of Page

celticknitter
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  08:30:09 AM  Show Profile Send celticknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking through all your posts I feel so fortunate. I am a freelance designer and knitting teacher. I knit 24/7 and get paid for it so I guess Lucky.
Go to Top of Page

vviolet
Chatty Knitter

148 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  11:09:53 AM  Show Profile Send vviolet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a quasi-electric engineer at a large utility. I started my career there as one of the very first female gas construction workers. I ran a jackhammer and other pneumatic tools, dug ditches, repaired gas leaks, and ran gas lines in all kinds of weather, in all kinds of neighborhoods. It was very hard physical work, and I was terribly shy, but I managed. The hardest part was dealing with the nearly constant hassle from my crew members and the public. (No protection from sexual harrassment in those days.) I was in construction for five years, then managed to get into electric engineering, another male-dominated field, for the rest of my career. I retired from the company after a total of 30 years. It was a love-hate relationship, but I am grateful to have been able to retire with a decent pension and benefits. Ultimately, it was worth putting up with all of the BS. I learned a lot of practical stuff (tools, design, different plumbing techiniques, CADD, electric theory, electric distribution equipment and installation, etc.) I have a BA in English Literature, and two years of graduate study, with the original notion that I would teach. That idea obviously didn't pan out. Life sure is strange! Instead, I ended up with a secure job and was paid very well.

"I always try to do that what I cannot do in order to learn how to do it." -- Picasso
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3972 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  4:35:44 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1st grade teacher

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1684 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  08:57:25 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may have answered in this thread before, but I'm a Registered Nurse in the Radiology Dept. of a large hospital.
judy
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  5:49:17 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a professional dressmaker for thirty- five years. Ran my own business, had to move it twice, learned to be adaptable to slowdowns, and take advantage of seasonal rush situations.
I loved the creative side, made my own patterns, designed a good deal for customers, and helped to start the National organization for sewing professionals: "The Association of Sewing and Design Professionals".
It was a good innings. i had to retire because my hands became useless with erosive arthritis. Not happy about that, but I am over it and am knitting away happily, retired from my business.
Anna
Go to Top of Page

kknit
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  2:43:06 PM  Show Profile Send kknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a lawyer, and now I'm retired from that and training to be a teacher of the Alexander Technique. Being a lawyer for 25 years of constant stress, sleep deprivation and being chained to a computer ended up giving me chronic tension headaches, forcing me to take time off and ultimately to quit for the sake of my mental and physical health. The good parts of this story are (1) now I have much more time for knitting, spinning and the other activities I love, and (2) it led me to the Alexander Technique, a wonderful way to learn to move, sit and stand better and to get rid of unnecessary tension and compression. It's actually great for my knitting and spinning: no more aching shoulders and hands, and much more patience and control!
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

284 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  03:38:48 AM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in my third career. I am currently a high school English teacher teaching juniors and seniors. I am ready for this year to be over. Before teaching I spent 8 years in the IT department of a large credit union as a user support (mostly software, some hardware)representative and sometime computer operator. Before that I was enlisted for 10 1/2 years in the United States Navy. I I also worked in the IT field doing a little bit of lots of things.
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2009 :  2:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a Nurse (RN) but has not worked as a nurse for 4 years now by my own choosing. I'm thinking seriously about retiring my RN license before this year is over. I want to get a Crochet and Knitting Certificate from CYCA or Crochet Certificate from CGOA so I can teach Crochet and or Knitting where I live.

zknit
Go to Top of Page

miggice
New Pal

Philippines
4 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  03:46:00 AM  Show Profile Send miggice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a practicing architect in the Philippines, and I work for a Georgia-based green firm seeking to develop sustainable building construction here. I've always loved anything that involved thread or some kind of yarn (crochet, tatting, knitting with needles), but now I've taken up machine knitting and I love it.
Go to Top of Page

morted
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  8:34:12 PM  Show Profile Send morted a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting to see what we do in our non-knitting lives. I'm a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist and work in a large community hospital. It is a very rewarding and only somewhat of a creative job - it definitely keeps you on your toes. Knitting gives me a way to relax in the evening after work. It also occupies my hands and I enjoy the creative process and to have something tangible to show for my efforts! I so enjoy this community and the kindness of it's members. Everyone is just great. What a great support system for one's knitting, but more importantly for one another!

Diane
Go to Top of Page

La galloise
Chatty Knitter

France
162 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  02:52:20 AM  Show Profile Send La galloise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I looked at this topic for the first time today
What an amazing diversity,isn't it wonderful to practice a craft,that knows no boundaries!
just to stay on topic........I'm a retired physiotherapist!
Go to Top of Page

prixby
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  6:52:32 PM  Show Profile Send prixby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a technical support rep at a software company.

Life is what happens while we're listening to music.
Go to Top of Page

jlpanecki
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  06:31:55 AM  Show Profile Send jlpanecki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work at home on the computer for a private hotel firm. I take reservations, answer questions, and re-route calls. Since I must work hands-free, I am on a head-set for the phone.

This means my hands are free to knit when I am not actually typing or taking a call. A good day for me is when I can get lots of knitting done! I keep my project on a small chair next to my desk and work chair - knitting bag, yarn, pattern, and if it's a doll sweater, the intended doll as a try-on model. It's amazing how much I can get done in a few minutes here and there!

Janet
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  08:51:51 AM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm RETIRED! RETIRED! RETIRED! YEE-HAA!!!!! I was in retail and owned 2 businesses (at the same time) - a gift shop and a hardware store. They were next door to each other and we had a large opening between the 2 buildings. My husband and I worked together in both of them. We both loved working together and we raised our children in the businesses with us.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  3:59:44 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a master in Art History, but I have been running my husband's surgical practice for the last 20 years. In December next year we plan to close the doors and retire, and I plan to knit full time. I too love to knit small items like baby stuff, socks, mittens etc., and it is so pleasing to see things finished and to give it always.

Kristina

kk
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  4:02:39 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant away. Sorry!

kk
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  4:06:03 PM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Newly retired school teacher and newly retired from family hardware business as well.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by