Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 what's your line of work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

8kids4me
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  5:27:41 PM  Show Profile Send 8kids4me a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a SAHM, and have been since before the term was coined! I am coming up on 30 years of marriage, have 5 kids completely on their own, one in college and two at home. I am on my second tour of homeschooling(big gap in kids), I have a little soap and lotions business that I really haven't done anything with, I sew, knit, and vi.....I've made some toys!

I am close to finishing up an associate's degree in Business Administration. Four more classes is all I lack. I'm hoping to get them done this year.

I've been enjoying this thread!

Cindy B
Go to Top of Page

kitnknitn
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  8:11:45 PM  Show Profile Send kitnknitn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of ESL teachers here! I taught EFL for years at a local university. I stopped teaching after 9/11 because so few students were getting visas. I had a two year at the time too and I wanted to spend more time with him.

I am now a very part-time health educator working with parents and car seats. Working part-time is great for my knitting! And I get to spend way more time with my son.

Of course, I have two cats.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  8:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't post on this when it first started (I don't think). I was a general ed teacher in Atlanta then.

For almost a year now I've been teaching ESL to kindergarten students in South Korea (and I've been fired, and then evicted at my second job because my boss was a lying, cheating witch) but starting at the end of this month I'm switching to a real school and elementary students.

Amanda Takes Off... and Amanda Knits

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Go to Top of Page

shazzief
New Pal

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  02:21:47 AM  Show Profile Send shazzief a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am an Administrator for a Pre-School. I do anything from PAYE, budgets and Accounting to Fee books and photocopying. It's only a part-time position on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I work from home in the afternoons. This leaves me with plenty of time to sit and knit!
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  06:26:38 AM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a teacher. I teach 12th grade English, Advanced Placement English Literature and Composition (also includes Freshman Composition 1301-1302 from a nearby college), and Pre-Advanced Placement 10th grade English. My husband and I also own a small business in a small town.

I spent years when my children were small as a SAHM mother/helping at our business before I returned to teaching.

http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com

. . .already the halls and salons and verandas are gaudy with primary colors and hair shorn in strange new ways and shawls beyond the dreams of Castile.--F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2752 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  12:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I ever posted either. I'm a Realtor and auctioneer. Yes I can talk fast, and no, I don't give free samples. If you want to hear me work, show up at an auction!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nheladams
Warming Up

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  6:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit nheladams's Homepage Send nheladams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another RN here knitting to stay sane!
Go to Top of Page

K8T
Warming Up

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  08:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit K8T's Homepage Send K8T a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done everything!

My current position is Marketing Coordinator for an architecture firm. I also do a lot of their graphic design for clients. I started there as a receptionist a year ago... moved up quick!

I also have a nail technician license in VA and MD. I worked at a salon for almost 3 years and loved it, but the commission was awful.

I also have a huge finance background with banking, investing, accounting.

All that by 24 and keepin' it going!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

knitterbug1023
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:54:10 AM  Show Profile Send knitterbug1023 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been an RN for 16 years. I've spent the last 9 years working the ER and I'm married to a flight paramedic. I have to admit that I'm burned out at work and my knitting gives me a much bigger adrenaline rush than anything at work does anymore. Nothing like mastering a complicated pattern or getting tons of compliments on a FO to get the old adrenaline flowing My current sock project is to make a pair of socks to match each set of scrubs that I wear.

Robin
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

sarahthomasknits
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  6:53:15 PM  Show Profile Send sarahthomasknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am an administrative law judge. I started knitting a few years ago but am in a terrible rut. Have piles of throws that I don't use, and sweaters that don't fit! Have any ideas for intermediate-difficulty projects that are completely satisfying at completion? 8-)
Go to Top of Page

Isis Rising
Chatty Knitter

320 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  7:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isis Rising's Homepage Send Isis Rising a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a property-casualty insurance agent, licensed in 48 states. I sell policies, I fix policies, I listen to folks complain about their policy.

While doing all that, I knit at work.

http://isisrising.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

joycet
Warming Up

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  10:42:39 AM  Show Profile Send joycet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am the staffing manager for an information technology company. We do software development and I do the hiring.

I learned to knit and crochet from Girl Scouts in grade school. I loved it right away and made several afghans. I picked it up again in college and made some items for family members. I got away from it for probably ten years. I didn't have the time (or at least I thought I didn't have time). Something possessed me to try my hand at knitting again a few years ago and the rest is history. I've made a couple of sweaters, two afghans and picked up cross stich and needlepoint as well. I like the creative outlet and seeing something develop.
Go to Top of Page

KrisKnits
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  7:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit KrisKnits's Homepage Send KrisKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a pediatric nurse practitioner for many years. Hope to return part time in the near future. Meanwhile I stay home with my daughter and run the shop.

Check out our shop:
Sonny & Shear
The I've Got Ewe, Babe Yarn Shop
http://www.sonnyandshear.com

Or check out the blog....
The Knitting Wannabe
http://knittingwannabe.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

ganciamay
Warming Up

68 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  9:47:03 PM  Show Profile Send ganciamay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a Nanny for a wonderful family in Mass. I have worked for my family since their little one was 3 months old and he is now 2. It has been a wonderful couple years with them, but sadly I am moving at the end of summer and moving back to my home state.
Go to Top of Page

K8T
Warming Up

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  12:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit K8T's Homepage Send K8T a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knitterbug1023

I've been an RN for 16 years. I've spent the last 9 years working the ER and I'm married to a flight paramedic. I have to admit that I'm burned out at work and my knitting gives me a much bigger adrenaline rush than anything at work does anymore. Nothing like mastering a complicated pattern or getting tons of compliments on a FO to get the old adrenaline flowing My current sock project is to make a pair of socks to match each set of scrubs that I wear.

Robin
My Blog

+1 on being burnt out at work... I give up and spend all day searching KR for something to wake me up during the day!
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  7:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geologist. I've been doing this since 1979. Primarily exploration work, which means I do research and then search for mineral deposits. If it doesn't come from a farm (or from the land in the case of the Arctic) it comes from a mine!

Arctic-mermaid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/MermaidKnits/
Go to Top of Page

watcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  8:52:05 PM  Show Profile Send watcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Degreed Accountant, but skipped the CPA, mostly doing bookkeeping, payroll, and tax return prep for the past 12 or so years after a break to stay home with DS#1; last year began working part time at a small private school to cover tuition for my toddler and it's morphed into almost full-time work. Might do some tax prep this coming tax season but only if they call me, I think. My stress level is a lot lower working with the kids!

Jean Marie
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  9:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Project manager....it's just what I am, when I am not dyeing, knitting,spinning, talking on KR or writing my book.

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Strin9Theory
Chatty Knitter

130 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  4:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Strin9Theory's Homepage Send Strin9Theory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the last 12 years I have been a high school special ed teacher, teaching resource English. I love my students. It's the adults I need stress reduction from! Prior to teaching I was a SAHM, interior designer, faux finisher, realtor, and architectural/engineering draftsperson!

Eve
Strin9Theory
http://strin9theory.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TeenKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  10:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit TeenKnitter's Homepage Send TeenKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still at school.

Annie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by