Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 what's your line of work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Jehaine
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  5:57:22 PM  Show Profile Send Jehaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, fairly new to the forum.

I work as a clinical pharmaicst in a hospital. The job is quite stressful, but rewarding. During my lunch break, sometimes I bring out my knitting needles and just relax. Although, I don't think I'm relaxed because I knit so tightly. I'm just starting to learn so I think I have to learn to loosen up. :) My favorite parts of learning this new hobby is playing with all the beautiful yarns at the local yarn shop. Unfortunately, I don't know what to do with them just yet! I haven't even completed my first project. Bah...

-- Jehaine
Go to Top of Page

tincanknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  11:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit tincanknitter's Homepage Send tincanknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a CAD technician/AutoCAd Designer/Computer draftsman (so many ways to label me but they all mean the same thing). I work currently for an Architecture Firm and do construction drawings for projects from coast to coast. I also design some of my knitting projects using the CAD program since it is highly accurate. It's great for creating graph paper to match my gauge too.

Vyv

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vyvneel%40sbcglobal.net/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

AJ
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  6:45:03 PM  Show Profile Send AJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am an Intensive In-home Family Therapist. I am referred to families that are at risk of having their children taken from the home. It is stressful but rewarding. Lots of experience accumulated in a short time. I am hoping to eventually move into an office theripst position in the future. But until then...its into the homes I go!!

Knitting has really helped me deal with stress. I can actually 'see' the progress I make when knitting. Not always so in my profession.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  8:34:51 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tincanknitter

I also design some of my knitting projects using the CAD program since it is highly accurate. It's great for creating graph paper to match my gauge too.

Smashing! What specific package do you use? I'm certain we'd have it at work.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

tincanknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  09:41:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit tincanknitter's Homepage Send tincanknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mokey
Smashing! What specific package do you use? I'm certain we'd have it at work.

We use AutoCad 2002. I haven't used it at great length designing knit items since I haven't had much time lately but it's very useful when designing modular pieces. I'm currently knitting up a modular sweater I designed with the software. I drew the basic shape, printed them out like a coloring book pages and got out my colored pencils. I've used the program to write up & draw charts for a scarf I entered in a contest this past year also. But, ssshhhhh, don't tell my boss!

Vyv

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vyvneel%40sbcglobal.net/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

Sandra@351
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  4:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sandra@351's Homepage Send Sandra@351 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shepherd and farmer here...I have a flock of three dozen sheep specifically bred for fabulous wool fleeces which are made into roving for spinners, yarn, blankets, hats, scarves, shawls, etc.

I earn my keep by speaking, teaching, giving workshops, etc. on Increasing Farm Income Using Agri-Culture and Including
Agri-Tourism, Agri-Tainment and Agri-Education. I also write and sell magazine articles and photographs.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm * www.thistlecovefarm.com * www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com * Appalachian Wool Works * Interesting Yarns for Discerning Knitters
Go to Top of Page

Sandra@351
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  4:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sandra@351's Homepage Send Sandra@351 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But I have almost no computer skills!

I raise and breed American Curly horses, Nature's Only Hypoallergenic horse. The sheep are Romney, Shetland, Merino and crosses and pets one and all.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm * www.thistlecovefarm.com * www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com * Appalachian Wool Works * Interesting Yarns for Discerning Knitters
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  6:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandra@351

But I have almost no computer skills!

I raise and breed American Curly horses, Nature's Only Hypoallergenic horse. The sheep are Romney, Shetland, Merino and crosses and pets one and all.

i was looking at them curly horses....
I have curly CATS
but them horses are pretty interesting and I hear you can spin the fiber too

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

KnitRedSox
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  4:38:39 PM  Show Profile Send KnitRedSox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a great thread... I've been sucked in!
I work in international affairs, a field that can be frustrating because it seems like there is a whole lot of talk but nothing ever gets DONE (unless we invade a country, of course ). Knitting/spinning is the no b.s. part of my day... and unlike my line of work, in knitting there is a clear end product! Which is nice. I love hearing what you all do...
Go to Top of Page

jenknit
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  12:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jenknit's Homepage Send jenknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a really fun topic (and great way to take a break from work). I work at The Nature Conservancy as a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) analyst. I use maps to analyze spatial relationships mostly in ecological applications. An example would be how various interstates and roads affect the ability of a population of pronghorn antelope to move about within their habitat. It is all computer work and I miss the days when I did field work with the US Forest Service and still worked with GIS.

I dream of having a small farm with a few angora and nubian goats and maybe a few alpacas, learn to process the wool, spin and knit and felt, as well as work on my photography and try to develop it more. I would like to make soap and cheese from goat milk and make biodiesel fuel from waste oil (I already run biodiesel in my TDI!) I would love to take a break from computers and email for a year or so (except maybe to read Knitter's Review where I get lots of help with knitting projects!!)

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  12:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only make goats milk soap when it's cold out.....so I can put it in a draft and it cools off fast

( yes the goat milk soap is being made very soon for the year..... hmmmmmmm )

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

blackcrow
Warming Up

Australia
89 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  2:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit blackcrow's Homepage Send blackcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I paint and Animate!

http://littleblackcrow.blogspot.com//

LittleBlackCrow
Go to Top of Page

knitterbug42
New Pal

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  6:25:44 PM  Show Profile Send knitterbug42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a sales manager at a GM dealership. It's a very stressful job, so I knit and quilt as a way to relax and unwind in the evenings and on weekends and also to remind myself I do have a compassionate side

Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  8:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I put my details in this thread I was a Business analyst in IT.

My role has expanded somewhat so that now I do pre-sales demos and proposals, BA for the implementations/upgrades, test management, training and ongoing support of ERP systems (accounting packages with sales/purchasing/payroll/manufacturing/HR bits attached). I have accounting qualifications from years ago that I never used directly until now!

Wen

2006 stats: 1 FO, too many WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

jebrem
Warming Up

60 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  10:46:02 PM  Show Profile Send jebrem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great thread. I only saw one other pharmacist out there. I'm mostly a SAHM to three kids, but I work as a pharmacist one day a week. But, I wish I were a librarian. When my youngest starts school I plan to volunteer at the closest public library and dream about working at my LYS. I guess I could pick up some more hours at the hospital too.
Go to Top of Page

jgtck
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  11:18:40 PM  Show Profile Send jgtck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am retired military and now am a full-time college student. Currently working toward my BA in elem ed with a minor in library media. After that I plan to get my masters in library science. Other than knitting, my other great passion is books; so being a librarian seemed to make sense to me.
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  04:57:57 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize this thread was in the forum. What a very diverse and interesting group we are!

I'm in IT with a environmental-based research organization. I received a BS in Animal Sciences which is of some benefit since part of our group is about invasive species and aquaculture. I work with some great people at a wonderful workplace but I'm bored with my work. I need to find a way to branch out my position to include more contact with our customers.

Angie
Go to Top of Page

mamacita
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  11:26:40 AM  Show Profile Send mamacita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What fun learning more about everyone. I am a SAHM to my two kids, a part-time RN in critical care and a Mary Kay consultant. Right now I am only working 12 hours/week so I can be there for the kids. Nursing has been wonderful to me over the years (19 and counting) allowing me the flexibility to raise a family.
I am with you jebrem. My other love is books. Most women my age go to the mall when they have free time. I find myself in the library way too frequently. My husband says I should just get a job there. Since I have taken up knitting I am torn about how to spend my free time.........read or knit, read or knit. (When I really should be cleaning the toilets or cleaning up the dirty clothes!) Guess I'll just keeping nursing part-time to support my yarn fix.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

thatgirlnamedsuz
New Pal

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  12:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Send thatgirlnamedsuz a Yahoo! Message Send thatgirlnamedsuz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a student majoring in History with a minor in Sociology. I want to go to grad school for either Historical/Archival preservation or Museum Studies although I have been looking in to Library Science as well. In the evenings I babysit for a 7 year old for a few hours.
Go to Top of Page

tercat
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  2:02:39 PM  Show Profile Send tercat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm... I guess I'll resurrect this thread. I'm a freelance development editor. I work on college textbooks, primarily in the social sciences--history, political science, education, etc. I do a lot of the planning and conceptual work and hashing things out with authors. One nice thing about what I do is that freelancing is relatively common--once you have the necessary experience, it's an option.

I love the diversity of fields here... knitting transcends a lot!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?