Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 The Yarn Woman
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Kniterly
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2014 :  10:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kniterly's Homepage Send Kniterly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's too bad that it's self-published only.

books + yarn = life

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2014 :  05:07:50 AM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to order this book from Amazon. It looks great. I love a good mystery and always like to hear of new mystery series that are well written. Having knitting themes is icing on the cake.
Go to Top of Page

soravec
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2014 :  12:38:06 PM  Show Profile Send soravec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book definitely has certain charms, with vivid characters and some nice insights and turns-of-phrase. But I did find the title to be substantially misleading. There are some almost scholarly passages about yarn and knitting history related to victims' clothing from crime scenes, but the majority of the stories are about supernatural occurrences in faded, old-world and other-worldly parts of San Francisco. Think Sunset Boulevard meets Stephen King. The not-quite central character is a knitter, but she too fades in and out of the stories. The narrator's voice switches from first to omniscient unexpectedly, and there are many gaps in the story lines.

All that said, there is an appeal to the title character and potential for serious development. But this book is not about a "yarn woman" in the sense that I was anticipating from the title. It's essentially about supernatural occurrences related to crimes in San Francisco. For me personally, the actual textile-related material was a disappointingly minor side theme.

So, as long as you understand what you're getting, it does have some interesting elements.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe