Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Is Craftsy Meth for Knitters?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2014 :  08:29:13 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a dangerous site. I finished Marley Bird's Mittens and Gloves Galore, and I was very pleased with the format, and learned some things. Anyway, I now have just about every knitting class they offer, and am buying kits, left and right. Because they keep discounting them-they offer a kit for less than I can buy the constituent yarn. Not because I cannot resist buying yarn if I can come up with any possible rationale.

Craftsy is very sophisticated. They send me notices of new classes-I log on, but don't buy. They send me notice of a 25% sale. I spend a little more time online, but I don't buy. They tell me it is under $20, and I click. Then, I look at kits. I will say, I haven't bought any kits if I believe I have the yarn in my stash (but I don't really know my stash, although it is arranged by guage and yardage.)

Craftsy is experiencing some growing pains. Kits come as a box of yarn-even the invoice just refers how many balls of x yarn. I then have to go back online and try to figure out which kits are included. I suggested they fix this. Also, there is nothing that indicates I may have already bought a particular kit. I suggested they have something like Amazon, where when you click on a kit, it says you already purchased it. (Is that addictive behavior?) Finally, and you won't believe this, they mix dyelots!! They are very nice about fixing this, and let me keep the unmatched yarn, but can you imagine receiving mixed dyelots from a yarn purveyor?

Anyway, I love, love, love Craftsy! Anyone else?

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2014 :  8:48:46 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started with one class to learn how to weave on a rigid heddle loom. Now am enrolled in about 15 classes but haven't had a chance to watch much yet. Took advantage of recent sale to add to my collection. The classes that I have watched are very well done. Free classes are worthwhile too, not fluff.

I haven't bought any kits yet. Too much yarn in my house, but maybe in the future.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1258 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2014 :  10:06:06 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, my gateway drug was the broomstick lace class, after I saw Jennifer Hansen's booth at an event. I've purchased and watched so many classes since then that I've never even finished the broomstick lace!

Some classes have been totally great and worth it, and others not so much. Because of that, and because I loaded up on so many of them when they went under $20, I've put a moratorium on buying more until I've watched more.

Interesting to hear about the mixed dye lots in kits, and good to hear they are nice about fixing that. Another thing that would be really nice is some kind of organization options for your classes, like moving ones you've watched to a "finished" folder, or being able to order your queue.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

vismajor
Warming Up

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2014 :  06:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit vismajor's Homepage Send vismajor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I've fallen down the Craftsy rabbit hole. I started with one of the free offerings because I wasn't sure if I would really like the format. Next I created a wishlist of classes but didn't purchase anything.

And then, when they sent me an email alerting me some of my wishlist classes were on sale? That's when I finally took the plunge to purchase. :)

Now it's my go-to spot for online classes. I'm pleased they've expanded their topics - I've registered for classes about knitting, painting, sewing, spinning, crocheting, quilting, weaving, and embroidery.

I haven't bought any kits or supplies from Craftsy, though. Good to know about the potentiality for mixed dyelots.

Amy McC.
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  6:25:04 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently made a wishlist at Craftsy and was impressed with their offerings. I'll have to look out for that $20 business! It sounds addictive.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: 2 BYOB (market bags), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest; LYS mystery shawl; black helmet liner; Fetching

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe