Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Hats, Gloves, and Mittens
 Lace thumb gusset
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2014 :  9:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I am finishing up knitting this:

http://acmeknits.wordpress.com/lace-leg-warmer-pattern/

The lace pattern is a simple faggoting stitch, and it looks like I have enough yarn left to knit matching mitts.

I can come up with my own mitts pattern (I've knitted several pairs of gloves by formulating patterns from scratch), so my question is: how do I shape the thumb gusset using the lace pattern? I'm having some trouble seeing my way beyond a stockinette thumb! And should I knit the palms in stockinette?

(Btw, I'm not a lace buff, so the legwarmers were a bit of a stretch. They look good and this is one of the few times I've used the yarn called for in a pattern! I also went down one needle size to knit the cuffs so the legwarmers won't sag (that drives me nuts). So I'm just throwing this thought out there in case anyone wants to knit this project.)

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer on the mitts!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  10:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I am IN this now, and I've goofed after 12 hand rows, also working the thumb gusset. I'm still studying the goof so I can rewrite the directions on my iPad. Then I can frog back to the ribbing and nail it.

I wasn't sure if anyone would have an answer. It took a lot of thought to be able to get past the ribbing.

The other thing I've discovered is that stockinette on the palm will knit longer than the faggoting across the back, which is backwards. As long as I'm frogging, I may work a short row at the beginning of the hand to shorten the palm length. Oh my, this is getting tricky..... Won't it be great if it works?

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2014 :  07:55:17 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll have to post a picture when you finish, Ceil. I've never made leg warmers but may have to give them a go. My granddaughter wants a pair (don't think I'd have much of a need for them in AZ!).

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2014 :  10:15:14 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Ceil, it'll be awesome if it works! I've done what you're doing about once: just kinda sorta made up a pattern as I went, ripping and adjusting and trying new techniques as needed. It was total fun, and I'm in love with the finished item. I hope you love yours as well. They sound very cool, faggoting is under-represented in knitting, I think.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2014 :  9:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first mitt is now up to the thumb crotch, so I started the second mitt to catch it up so that both thumb crotches can be worked at the same time. Then some more rounds of faggotting followed by k1p1 rib to finish the hand, then ditto for the thumb.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2014 :  8:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit: due to the worsted weight yarn and the thickness of the lace fabric, I'm sticking with stockinette for the palm side, except for ribbing all the way around. Also got some good ideas for length once past the thumb crotch.

It's happening.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe