Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Laborous knitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  06:46:33 AM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am getting my "go bag" ready for when I go into labor(which could happen any day). Of course the first thing I packed was my knitting. So far I have a pair of socks wip, a lovely lace top pattern and yarn, and a baby sweater pattern and yarn. I figure I will wait and see how I feel and how complicating I want my project to be. Maybe I am a little too obsessive, since my knitting is taking up the majority of my bag...

My name is Michelle, and I'm a yarnaholic.

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  5:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting was about last on my list when I was in labor. Lol

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2014 :  03:56:46 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First baby?

IF you feel like knitting at all during labor, something simple and relaxing could be a good thing. You need something you can drop whenever you need to. Labor pains won't wait for you to get to a good stopping place in your pattern.

Best wishes to you and yours!

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2014 :  9:18:56 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Marilyn, my first baby. I would think that labor would realize the importance of a good stopping point, but alas I think you are right :).

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  07:27:53 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took a pineapple pattern crochet tablecloth to the hospital with me when my first was born (it was about half-way finished at that time). Took me another 4 years to finish it...just before my second was born. Then several years later, one of the kids cut into it when they were cutting paper on the table. Memories

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  07:42:30 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My daughter had her first child a year ago. The knitting project she brought along never left its bag. She was in too much pain before and too woozy after, and then it was time to go home!

Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  07:57:00 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yah, it was a long time ago when I had my kids, but really, I can't imagine knitting during labor or after delivery... like, for 5 years after delivery.
But as they say, "Your mileage may vary."

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  2:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The night before I started labor I decided I absolutely had to make a hat for the baby to wear home from the hospital (it was January in Boston, and very cold, and I was in nesting mode!) I was about 5 rows from the end when I fell asleep. The next morning I was awakened by my contractions and spent the day in labor. I tossed the almost-done hat in my bag as we left for the hospital. I forgot all about it until it was time to leave several days later. Made Mr. Luann sit and wait while I finished it off so the baby could wear it home.

My knitting is my security blanket, I don't like to leave home without it, even when it's highly likely I won't get a chance to touch it. So bring what makes you feel good, knowing you might not knit a stitch. Wishing you an easy labor!

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  12:22:18 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advise ladies, and for sharing your memories with me! I know I have a 50/50 chance of having an easy labor, or a labor from hell. I figure I have to plan for both and have something ready to distract me. There is a good chance that I won't even touch it, but I want it there just in case. I did decide though to just bring the charity hats that I can knit by heart. No sense in trying to figure out a new pattern while I am trying to concentrate on other more pressing matters.

Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  08:35:18 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A nice simple knit is almost like meditation which can be useful! I didn't think to bring knitting for my first and boy was that a mistake!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  7:46:16 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is done and she is here! And I have a lovely pair of socks to show for my 27 hours of labor :). There was quite a bit of start and stop, but everything was finished eventually. Thanks all for the advice and support!

Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  10:32:25 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey Michelle! Congratulations on a successful birthing, and yay for your new daughter!

So glad everything went well.

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  03:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Michelle!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
My Website: Not Plain Jane
My Ravelry Store: Jane Cochran
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  04:55:46 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
congrats!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  07:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had children, but almost 22 years ago, my husband died of cancer and was in home hospice for 5 1/2 months. I wove for a while (hadn't thought of knitting yet), and when that became too taxing on the brain towards the end, I resorted to spinning yarn on my wheel. That was as much as my brain could take! (Not that you're going to take a spinning wheel to the hospital!) Certainly go prepared, but don't get on yourself if nothing moves on your knit list. One moment at a time! Enjoy the new baby when it comes!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  10:28:29 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Congratulations, Michelle! Those will always be some super special socks!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

285 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  05:27:48 AM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Michelle.
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  04:00:25 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Michelle!

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

Sloknitr
Warming Up

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  09:53:50 AM  Show Profile Send Sloknitr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats!!!
Go to Top of Page

grandmasally
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2014 :  09:05:44 AM  Show Profile Send grandmasally a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Michelle. Knitting was my salvation as I cared for my husband who had alzheimer's disease. It calmed my nerves and gave me a bit of distraction. Now that he's gone, knitting has kept me going while grieving. It has also helped me focus on the future. I can not tally up all the started projects! :-) I definitely give knitting and my knitting friends most of the credit for my sanity.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2014 :  10:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on your baby girl!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?