Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Needle size for 3-needle BO
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  10:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read that you go up one OR two needle sizes to work this BO.

I'm knitting a sweater with Elsbeth Lavold's Silky Wool. Because of the silk, the yarn has less stretch than wool yarn. So, when a yarn has less stretch, how many sizes up would you go to work this BO? Fwiw, I am using it on shoulder seams.

Thanks!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  07:13:12 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No idea about the BO, but I have some of the Silky Wool in my stash. If you don't mind sharing, which pattern did you use?

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  10:41:41 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have done this bind-off many times, and have never gone up a needle size to do so. If I were you, I'd thread a lifeline in the stitches, and then try a few stitches of BO using same needle size, and then a few BO's with one size larger needle. See which you like better. I can't imagine going up 2 sizes.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  6:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by azblueskies

No idea about the BO, but I have some of the Silky Wool in my stash. If you don't mind sharing, which pattern did you use?

Jolien, from "Fresh Fashion Knits" by Rowan. Obviously, I did not use Rowan yarn.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  6:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anderknit

I have done this bind-off many times, and have never gone up a needle size to do so. If I were you, I'd thread a lifeline in the stitches, and then try a few stitches of BO using same needle size, and then a few BO's with one size larger needle. See which you like better. I can't imagine going up 2 sizes.

I'm using the same needle size for the bind off, and it looks like it's working very well. Thanks so much!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  11:21:15 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good, Ceil, because I remember from a class I took with Laura Bryant, that the sweater hangs from the shoulders, and you want to have them reasonably stable. (She preferred seamed sweaters, because of the greater stability). Anyway, I would think loosely bound off shoulders would lead to a saggy armscye and be a bit droopy, so I think better not to make them looser!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by