Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Hello Everyone!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MuddyYork
New Pal

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  06:36:47 AM  Show Profile Send MuddyYork a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am from Toronto, Canada. I learned to knit as a child in the 60's from my mother and great-grandmother. I recall that our materials were very "British" and I still have a substantial collection of Aero needles with UK sizing on them. I was taught the English style of knitting. My mother held the right needle like a pencil (Mary Thomas was their primary source of knitting know-how) but after struggling with that for a while I adapted the overhand style and taught myself continental - I use both) My female mentors mostly created slippers, tea cosies, hats, mittens, scarves and many, many squares for blankets. My great-grandmother made the finest lace edgings which graced all our pillow cases for many years. My mom and I developed our skills together and at 16 I finished my first garment - a yoke fair isle sweater which I still wear, even though I cast off the neck too tightly! I knit regularly through the next decades, mostly for others and then for my children (lots of intarsia!). I have been off the needles for several years for various reasons, mostly to do with supporting my children through some pretty tough teenage years. We have all come through OK! I kept my stash and supplies with me through the upheavals and occasionally swatched and fiddled. Just dived back in after Christmas and am shocked to realize the last knitting mag I bought was in 2004. I feel like Rip van Winkle waking up to find everything has changed. For example, thought I would make some socks (our feet are soooo cold). Went to buy sock yarn in grey or maybe..grey! You could have knocked me over with a feather - jacquard?!, self-striping?!, pink! Wow! And the wealth of information, advice and mentoring on the internet has actually overwhelmed me. I have been getting to know this site for a few weeks now, learning how to access forums. I think you are all amazing, supporting each other in this wonderful craft. And thank you Clara. I have read all the archives and feel an excitement about knitting that I haven't for years. This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum. Hope I did this right.

Lizzy

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  10:55:00 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the site shut down....I haven't had any new posts since 3/5. ????

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...I'm fairly certain that, given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  1:45:19 PM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the knitting world has change, and for the better. The internet has brought so much (sometimes too much) information and connected-ness. Welcome back to knitting, don't be a stranger!
Go to Top of Page

blessedinMO
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  10:31:10 PM  Show Profile Send blessedinMO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone in the knitting world. I grew up in NY and lived in So. CA the last 20 years before moving to MO a year-and-a-half ago. My first knitting project was a washcloth for my dad for Christmas when I was just about 6 years old, and that was just about 70 some years ago. I have been knitting ever since, but I take short sabbaticals once in a while to do thread crochet. I love to learn anything new, and look forward to sharing stitches, laughter and friendship, and look forward to meeting you all.

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

MuddyYork
New Pal

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  2:42:16 PM  Show Profile Send MuddyYork a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome. Working my way through some of the other forums. Posting in "yarn" right now. I am really interested in the materials we use so following discussions in Yarn and Needles.

Lizzy
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2019 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  5:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Welcome, Lizzy. It was fun to read about you & your family's history in knitting.

You sound like you are feeling like you have come through the Way-Back Machine w/Sherman & Mr. Peabody - there are so many fabulous yarns & colors & needles & knitting accessories & very cool knitting bags. Woo hoo, there's a party goin' on.

Keep us posted, Lizzy.
Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1684 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2014 :  03:59:42 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy the fun and inspiration!
Judy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?