Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Knitting machine for socks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KAJA
New Pal

Slovakia
1 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  12:21:38 PM  Show Profile Send KAJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hallo everybody.
I would like to ask you if you could help me to recommend me some knitting machine for socks and tights. I've tried knitting manually but it was not really for me. I would like to try with some machine.
Thank you very much in advance for your recommendation, advice.
Regards,
Kaja

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  2:20:55 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only know about conditions that apply in the US, so you may have different alternatives available where you are, but here there are cheap machines (and by cheap, I am talking under $200) that can be used to knit socks with a lot of manual intervention, but even then, they are far from ideal. Those machines have fewer needles and produce a coarser weave that is less comfortable to walk on. A true sock machine with lots of small needles that uses fingering or sock weight yarn is going to cost in excess of $1000 and most likely will be used, as I understand there is only one company manufacturing them nowadays. With a used machine, parts and maintenance are going to be an ongoing issue. There are instructions on the Internet on how to knit a flat piece on a flat-bed knitting machine and then seam it to make a sock, but the seam usually rubs the wearer's foot and is also uncomfortable. There are mini-looms designed for making socks - have you seen or considered one of those?

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  10:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are two CSM's that are currently, to my knowledge, being manufactured. One in the USA and the other in New Zealand. I know for sure that the one in the USA is being manufactured by the Erlbacher Gearhart Company in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. Their machine is based on a 1924 Gearhart Circular Sock Machine and is available with the original 3:1 ratio and their new "Speedster" with a 1:1 ratio. The machine from New Zealand is the NZAK; the owner is Jacquie. A year and a half ago she put the CSM portion of her company up for sale. I have not been following her group, on Yahoo, for about a year now so I don't know the company's current status.

I bought an Erl a year and a half ago, a machine with 2 cylinders and 2 ribbers. Then last summer I bought another machine to mount my 2nd setup on. So now I don't have to change out cylinders, I just go to which ever machine I want to use. I chose the Erl because the family that owns and manufactures the Erl is 100% customer oriented and great to work with. They have a group on Ravelry.

There are several CSM ( circular sock machine) groups on Ravelry. You could get a lot of help there, and possibly find a used machine. What ever you do, get help and advice if you see a machine you might want. Be careful when buying a used machine.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  2:28:38 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shalee
I bought an Erl a year and a half ago, a machine with 2 cylinders and 2 ribbers. Then last summer I bought another machine to mount my 2nd setup on. So now I don't have to change out cylinders, I just go to which ever machine I want to use. I chose the Erl because the family that owns and manufactures the Erl is 100% customer oriented and great to work with. They have a group on Ravelry.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did each of those machines cost?

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  7:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When i purchased my first machine I bought the super delexe machine package and added a 2nd ribber. Then I bought a 2nd ribber arm. Then I decided to get a 2nd base. It did add up! The current prices are listed on their web site: www.erlbachergearhart.com. they have all the machines listed plus prices for extras that you can add later, if you don't buy the super deluxe to begin with. If you were to buy the super deluxe there would't be anything else you would need to buy to knit socks, hats, etc. Everything, including oil, is included.

I'm not trying to get you to buy everything all at once! You don't need anything but the basic machine to start. Of course you would need to fix a table to attach it to, but that would be easy. I would suggest that anyone considering getting a CSM go to the Ravelry site and then from there go to the Erlbacher Gearhart Group and click on the tab that says pages. There you will see all sorts of videos that are great. The 3rd video from the bottom shows Peewee unpacking and setting up a brand new machine. Peewee is the owner of the company and a real sweetheart. Both of his daughters, Jamie and Grayson, run the CSM portion of the company.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe