Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Share your knitting predictions for 2014!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3465 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  06:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's hear our collective conjectures for 2014. Will 2014 be the year that fun fur comes back, octogonal knitting needles take off, or someone invents a knitting machine powered by our feet?

I predict that knitted socks and skirts will make a comeback. Flirty tweedy skirts and cute knee high socks.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  06:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I predict that the "it" color will be Radiant Orchid: Google Pantone radiant orchid great white bale!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

sunshine0430
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  10:22:57 AM  Show Profile Send sunshine0430 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My significant other's mother has just asked to commission me for a sweater, so that's on my agenda, just as soon as I finish my hooded pull over.

Rachel Potter
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  05:24:33 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year all!

M prediction(and hope really) is that LYSs will make a come back.

Therefore my resolution is to buy as much as possible of my knitting needs from my LYS, Another Yarn in Winchester MA. (Not including of course the marketplace at the KRR, should I remain lucky enough to go.) And maybe Rhinebeck if I can make it there!

Jane, that's some crystal ball you've got!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  1:02:53 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I predict that handknits will become even MORE fashionable, especially in a rustic, freeform way, because of their prevalence on Katniss Everdeen in Hunger Games. (Or perhaps that was only a symptom that this is already happening?)

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

littlesheep7
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  1:22:04 PM  Show Profile Send littlesheep7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I predict ... My prognosticating is usually very unreliable but cables and tweeds will make a comeback with knitted thigh high stockings. LYS will thrive and attract young people to knitting needles and I'll actually finish that second sock.

Melanie
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2014 :  09:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this topic! And I'm fascinated by what you think - please, keep those answers coming.

We've seemed to make a collective shift away from triangle shawls to half-moon-ish Colour Affection shawls to giant, wonderful, freeform cowls (along the ones of what Robinsteph mentioned), so I'm wondering if the cowl will continue through this year, or if there's ANOTHER clever accessory waiting to take its place? Boot-toppers have begun, so will they evolve into leg warmers? For those who aren't yet ready to conquer the cute high knee socks but need something to keep them warm while wearing those flirty tweedy skirts?

What about fingerless mitts? Have we finally moved back to mittens, and in wonderful colorwork?

What about yarn clubs? Knitting from our stashes? Designing our own projects?

So many variables. It's part of why I love this business so much. You can never, ever grow bored.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

396 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2014 :  10:35:35 AM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was an article in the Christian Science Monitor last week saying that tweed clothing was coming back due to the popularity of Downton Abbey. Can knitted sweaters to wear with those tweeds be far behind? I hope not and predict that the tweed will launch a knitting trend to coordinate with it.

My friends and I trying to knit more from our stashes, so from my point of view that is a prediction for this year.
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2014 :  12:14:35 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope your prediction comes true, Robinsteph!

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2014 :  4:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair Isle - or faux isle? - seems to be all around still - even for kids.

http://www.gap.com/browse/search.do?searchText=fair+isle

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  01:26:32 AM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think knitting and knitwear is surging in popularity! Yes! Surging! With the popularity of tweeds and Downton Abbey, and the passing on of knitting skills taking place, it is getting more and more mixed into our lives.
And with Clara's books and more frequent notices in the media, more is being learned about yarns, hopefully mostly wool and natural fibers, and it is less odd to be a knitter.

That's maybe it: it is less odd to be a knitter! Maybe that is my prediction! (I must have some Canadian roots somewhere, to be so reserved about my predictions), but I can go with
"Less Odd"..........what do you think?

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  05:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see more knitting groups pop up. I was in our library yesterday and there was a sign up for a knitting group starting at the library. No sign ups. Just show up with your yarn and needles. Too bad it's at 2:30 or I would be there......

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

396 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  10:27:29 AM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the "less odd" idea. It seems like one reason more people don't knit outside the home is because they don't want to look "odd." My knitting group meets once a week at a local deli/coffee shop. At first I felt a little self-conscious but often other customers stop by to admire our projects and make positive comments. That has made a difference and I'm not reluctant to be seen knitting anymore.
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  10:40:27 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I certainly hope that fun fur does not come back!

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...I'm fairly certain that, given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

Go to Top of Page

LoplollyBlue
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  11:19:30 AM  Show Profile Send LoplollyBlue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been looking at Brooklyn Tweed on Ravelry and have noticed that dolman sleeves - only narrow - seem to be making a comeback. This means sweaters are no longer super fitted. They're loose and very light (fingering or sport weight). Look at "Relax" or "Boxy" to see what I mean. Lots of t.v., or in my case, meeting knitting.
Go to Top of Page

bearknitter
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  4:58:29 PM  Show Profile Send bearknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend just asked me if I liked that knitting was coming back in style. Really??? I asked her where she has been for the last 10 years or so. Perhaps her awareness just kicked in, but I've been knitting/living knitting round the clock for decades.

As for me, I'm into shawls and sweaters right now, a big change from socks and shawls. Can't see that passion changing. But I love seeing other people are doing lots of different things.

I love knitting, so please bring it all on. Except Fun Fur and Fru-fru Yarn. Give me the real stuff any day!
Go to Top of Page

DonnaH
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2014 :  06:46:05 AM  Show Profile Send DonnaH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Judging from the numerous alpaca farms I've seen and heard of in my area, I'm guessing that alpaca fibers and yarns will become even more popular than they already are. I do still love the feel of Sheep's wool between my fingers, though. I was just given a gift of three large bags of alpaca fleece to spin, and then knit from. So that's the new trend at my house.
Go to Top of Page

Nelliebean
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2014 :  2:46:37 PM  Show Profile Send Nelliebean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling that knitting will gather a wider audience, I think more people will appreciate it's art and utility and become knitter's. I think this will fuel a broader interest in the fiber process. Well, that's my wish anyway. :)

But, fashion-wise, I think we're steering towards smooth gauge and the depth of a simple stitch, with one unique focus to the garment.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe