Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Addi Turbo Rockets and Sock Rockets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  9:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several years ago, the folks at Skacel kindly sent us a whole box of prototype needles for the Knitter's Review Retreat goody bags. They were perfectly good needles, Karin Skacel reassured me. They had the pointy tip of the Lace (at that time only available in brass) and the smooth, speedy nickel plating of the Turbos.

In fact, they were beyond good. They were, in the true sense of the word, AWESOME.

Guess what? They're finally here.

Clara

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

582 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  10:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have that prototype set and always longed for them to be reproduced. The grippy finish of Addi Lace needles makes me bonkers, as I require my needles to be slicker than the interstate after an ice storm. I was so excited to glimpse these recently that I gifted myself with a deck of them last week, sight unseen. I have not been so happy about a tool in YEARS. (They were a few bucks shy of $20, BTW, and I got free shipping.)

As one who knits exclusively with circular needles, I like my Signature stiletto tips - mainly for knitting lace. They have a key limitation beyond price: the actual "tip" of those needles is a few millimeters longer than my Addis. If you do not adjust your knitting to keep it off the tips, your gauge will change. That matters for garments more than lace shawls.

I already have two projects on my new Addi Rockets and you'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands. Forgive my gushing hoots. But this is BIG.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

serenestitcher
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  04:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Send serenestitcher a Yahoo! Message Send serenestitcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
great story! I can never decide which types I like best so my solution is to buy a few of everything :) But sure do love these sock rockets...if I had to pick a favorite..

serene stitcher
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  05:13:15 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sock Rockets are the best! I have them now in all three sizes and will not use anything else for sock knitting.
Go to Top of Page

Raven_Girl
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  05:39:11 AM  Show Profile Send Raven_Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a sock knitting heretic, as in, I don't knit socks. A pair of sock rockets were included in a VKL goody bag one year O.K. I thought. A stitch holder. One day I tried them and WOW!!!! Love love these needles. I'm very excited they've expanded their sizes and will be buying some. Truly, they are the perfect marriage of materials.
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  07:16:47 AM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Addi... For most of us in the U.S., 2.25 mm is a 1. 2.75 mm is a 2.
I don't know why it bugs me so much when Addi tries to redefine sizes.

-- Jeri
Go to Top of Page

Betsie Czeschin
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  09:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Betsie Czeschin's Homepage Send Betsie Czeschin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a set of these at Webs in March and LOVE them. My Addi Lace Clicks are my go to needles, but I need the smaller sizes and my skin oil seems to remove the finish off the brass needles (they get stickier the longer I use them).
So glad these are available
Go to Top of Page

OPKnitter
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  09:41:48 AM  Show Profile Send OPKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Betsie Czeschin

I got a set of these at Webs in March and LOVE them. My Addi Lace Clicks are my go to needles, but I need the smaller sizes and my skin oil seems to remove the finish off the brass needles (they get stickier the longer I use them).
So glad these are available

And 3mm is a US 2.5. It bugs me as well. It's annoying to have to remember that the needle size given in a pattern applies for every needle but (maybe) for Addis.
Go to Top of Page

carol@cfmdesigns.net
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  11:31:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit carol@cfmdesigns.net's Homepage Send carol@cfmdesigns.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: Sizing. Give me the diameter in millimeters every time, no matter where the thing is made. Then multiply by Pi to gt the real difference in stitch size between diameters - it's all about the circumference, kids.

Here's my chart: http://cfmdesigns.net/Knitting_Needle_Size_Chart.xlsx

CFM Designs
"It's All About the Pretty"
http://cfmdesigns.net
Go to Top of Page

BJLK@aol.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  12:28:00 PM  Show Profile Send BJLK@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have accumulated a generous collection of Addi Turbo circular needles in all sizes and lengths over the past few years, and truly enjoy using them. However,I am really disappointed in how short a time they remain usable, because the tips seem to separate from the cables so very often. Just in the past few months, I have lost two more circular needles because a tip has broken off unexpectedly in thr middle of a large project. (It's no fun trying to pick up hundreds of stitches while trying to work on a relatively mindless project on the bus or train.) It doesn't seem to matter where the needles were purchased either, because I buy needles both on-line and at various yarn shops. Has anyone else had this problem?
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  12:43:33 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a lot of Addis (but no Rockets which I will rectify soon!) and I've never had any problem with the tips separating from the cables. Can't say the same for some of the other circs I have but no problems with Addis. I'd contact them, BJLK.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  1:45:54 PM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My understanding, with addis, in the US, is that you have to have the original packaging and the receipt, to make a warranty claim. And I think they want you to "go" back to where you bought them. If the lys is no longer there, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do.

-- Jeri
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3466 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  5:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silly question but are the Addi turbo/sock rockets in sizes US 4 and above basically the same finish and tips as the Addi Click Lace long tips interchangeables except that ... they are not interchangeable? Because I have that set so I would probably only buy the Addi Rockets in the small sizes.

BJLK -- when I broke the tips of my Addi Natura, I sent them back in the original US packaging to Skacel in the US and they sent me back a replacement right away.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  6:17:20 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh, I think you can only get the Sock Rockets in sizes 0, 1 and 2. The tips are long and sharp made of brass but plated with nickel. Size 1 and 2 have a flexible blue cord while size 0 has a brownish cord.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

bunnyraku
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2013 :  7:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit bunnyraku's Homepage Send bunnyraku a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great discussion. AS a LYS that carries only addis for our circular needles, I am obviously a fan. Regarding any problems with the needles, any authorized addi dealer will replace the defective product on the spot no matter where they were purchased.
Go to Top of Page

PuppyMom
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2014 :  5:38:21 PM  Show Profile Send PuppyMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know if/when the Addi rocket fixed circulars will be coming out with an interchangeable set. I would hate to spend the money necessary to get the fixed circulars, only to find out that 6 months from now they will be selling rocket tips which you can use with any Addi click cable?
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  05:51:48 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PuppyMom, this is one of the more complete sites for Sock Rockets: http://www.addineedleshop.com/addi_needles/addi_circulars/rockets.htm
It might give you some idea about what's out there so far.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe