Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Guild and Group Info
 Where to gather?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tangneyc
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  3:15:31 PM  Show Profile Send tangneyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to get a knitting group together and am trying to find a place to gather that's not someone's house, that will allow us to bring food and wine and is private so we can chat and be silly. Any ideas?

Cindy
Fuzzythinker on Ravelry

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  04:22:07 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Cindy! That is a good question. The group I knit with had to find a new home recently, and after several tries we are now getting together in a local library. We have a room off to the side where we can even make coffee...and it is well lit and warm in the dark months. Maybe you could look into something similar?

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  05:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd suggest library meeting rooms too. Some community centers and government building also have rooms available for groups to meet in. It will probably be harder to find a public place that allows alcohol from the outside to be brought in though--you may have to let that part of the dream go.

I've met in a number of places for knitting groups--libraries, friends' houses, restaurants, coffee shops, the wine tasting room in a local fancy grocery store (that's my favorite). Every one has its own rules.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

tangneyc
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  7:26:42 PM  Show Profile Send tangneyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great suggestions! Do yarn shops ever allow this sort of thing? We may have to give up the wine and cheese part of the dream, I agree.

Cindy
Fuzzythinker on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  05:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of yarn stores do have knitting nights, but it's generally considered best to work on projects using yarn bought at that store. Some have paid knit nights where the shop owner and teachers will help with mini-lessons and advice. It doesn't hurt to call your local yarn shop to ask!

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

wildwinowoman
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  03:42:03 AM  Show Profile Send wildwinowoman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try a local bookstore (or even a larger one that has a coffee shop). They often have cozy nooks that are perfect - and they welcome the occasional buyer to become a regular visitor.
Go to Top of Page

eroomje
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  04:05:46 AM  Show Profile Send eroomje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know a group that was tossed out of the library because they made too much noise. I believe it was laughter that was the culprit. The librarian would often close the door, giving a broad hint, but it would make the room too hot or cold. They now meet in the town senior center. I am not sure they would be able to meet there if all the ladies weren't seniors.

Ellen G. Moore
Go to Top of Page

chlkh
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  04:14:49 AM  Show Profile Send chlkh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tangneyc

I'm trying to get a knitting group together and am trying to find a place to gather that's not someone's house, that will allow us to bring food and wine and is private so we can chat and be silly. Any ideas?

Cindy
Fuzzythinker on Ravelry

Go to Top of Page

chlkh
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  04:16:16 AM  Show Profile Send chlkh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chlkh

quote:

Cindy
Fuzzythinker on Ravelry

Go to Top of Page

chlkh
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  04:18:52 AM  Show Profile Send chlkh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Panera is a great place to meet.
My local Panera is very welcoming to our group.
No wine, though!
Go to Top of Page

Betty0323@hotmail.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  04:28:55 AM  Show Profile Send Betty0323@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kkknitter

Hi Cindy! That is a good question. The group I knit with had to find a new home recently, and after several tries we are now getting together in a local library. We have a room off to the side where we can even make coffee...and it is well lit and warm in the dark months. Maybe you could look into something similar?

Kristina

Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  04:29:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a church fellowship hall? Wine probably would be a no-no, but most have great kitchens and hot tea and cookies are close runner up to wine in my book. I always end up frogging after a night of wine and knitting :-)

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4170 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  07:08:50 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A local grocery store in my town has a community room--you can reserve it and then the expectation is that you buy something to eat or drink while you're using it. So then you can have your cake (and wine) and eat it too!

I agree it might be challenging to find a 'public' type place that will allow you to bring in your own alcohol.

Good luck!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1932 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  07:13:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Places my knitting groups meet. (yes, I belong to more than one. Shut up. I am NOT addicted!)

cafe. We have been meeting there for years. YEARS. in fact we even bring in wine. Not often. But when we do we offer our barista a glass. Sometimes we bring plastic cups for this, other times she gives us cups. But since we have been a steady source of income for 5+ yrs she doesn't mind.

yarn stores. after going for awhile you can gauge if food and wine are appropriate. It is at both of the stores I attend, but one store is more equipped to deal with it than the other.

I don't go to this one, but a grocery store with a cafe/foodstation area with seating. I have been to whole foods and wegmans as knitting areas. Both worked. And while I don't know if people brought food in, I do know some people bought food and shared. so if you were not trumpeting your home made fancy cookies it might be possible. wine depends on if you live in a state that sells wine in a grocery store. I live in an area where that doesn't happen.

Library. depends on the librarian and if she is a knitter. Ours are and let us do anything any local community meeting would do. And that includes food and drink.

church hall/community center.

bar. We once met for awhile in a bar until the new owner changed the lighting and only put tea lights on the tables. then we went to a better lighted locale. We didn't bring food or drink.

state or local park that has a rentable bldg. Some locations like this are community use and can be "rented" by signing up and no fee if you are a resident.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

mwenskay@hotmail.com
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  08:17:09 AM  Show Profile Send mwenskay@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not- I have held a Wednesday night group called Knitwits at the local Presbyterian Church for 11 years! We gather at 5:30-8:30 for Knitting, potluck snacks and wine. The Church supplies us with a beautiful room, water, tea, and I have a key. We have a microwave and sink in the well lit room. Sometimes we bring dinner! The wine is the only alcohol allowed. During the years the Pastor has stopped by to see what we are working on and have a little nip with us. We have donated many knits to the Churches various missions and local homeless outreach programs in small repayment. It is totally open to the knit community regardless of any faith affiliation. Try it?!
Go to Top of Page

tizzy2@yarncafe.com

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  08:17:31 AM  Show Profile Send tizzy2@yarncafe.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have a winery near by? Ours lets us bring in food as long as we buy glasses or bottles of wine from them. We enjoy the space and location and they love having us there.

Go to Top of Page

RMacAskill
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  09:17:29 AM  Show Profile Send RMacAskill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all these suggestions. Very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  6:32:33 PM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the place where you want to meet sells food or drinks, it's really important that you buy your food or drinks from them. Or at least not bring in outside food and drinks.

-- Jeri
Go to Top of Page

Thneed
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  07:50:14 AM  Show Profile Send Thneed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Lanea

A lot of yarn stores do have knitting nights, but it's generally considered best to work on projects using yarn bought at that store.

Honestly, this varies so much by region and even by store that I just had to say something.

I've just heard too many stories of people being shy to come to a knit night in a store because they can't afford to work on more than one project at a time. Or they just moved to an area so of course their WIPs use yarn purchased elsewhere. And I've heard lots of LYS employees say that they really welcome anyone, no matter where the yarn came from.

But I think everyone agrees that if you're in store A, it's pretty bad form to talk up store B to every stranger who comes in. (I'm not saying you can't say where you got the yarn; just be polite about it and don't insult the store you're actually visiting.)

But I do agree with Lanea: call or visit the actual store to ask if they have a policy or preference.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/YouNeedaThneed
Go to Top of Page

cindyh1057
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  09:30:54 AM  Show Profile Send cindyh1057 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Cindy. I am Cindy too and am doing the same thing here in Montana. We lost our local yarn shop where we could eat,drink and laugh (loud)! So now I am asking my cohorts what they would like, a venue or our homes. Not sure what we will do yet. I like the idea of a library room. I will be interested to hear what you come up with.

Cynthia M. Hanson
Go to Top of Page

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  06:37:17 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the great suggestions! Do yarn shops ever allow this sort of thing? We may have to give up the wine and cheese part of the dream, I agree.

Cindy
Fuzzythinker on Ravelry

My local yarn shop has knitting night on Tuesdays, bring finger foods to share but no alcohol. The only drawback is that space is very limited.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?