Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Magic loop and dpn's - your preferred method
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paloma
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  06:02:02 AM  Show Profile Send paloma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wanted to ask what preferences have any of you developed towards knitting socks and mittens - either magic loop or dpn's? I can knit either way with fine results (socks - not yet, but they are on my priority list starting next year) and they each have their pros and cons, but I'm starting to enjoy one method over the other. I'd rather not get comfortable with only one way. Just something I've been thinking about lately, thought this part of the forum might be the best place to post this question. Thanks!

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2361 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  06:55:11 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit socks both at the same time on two circulars. Easy to do and when finished, I have both done at the same time. Haven't knit mittens in awhile but last ones were done on dpns. I'm not a fan of dpns so only use them when nothing else will work.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  08:31:59 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it depends upon the gauge of what I'm knitting. I just finished some mittens with worsted on dpns. I can't knit magic loop, but I do socks on two circs. I took a class to learn how to do them like azblue, two at a time, but I haven't tried it yet. I really, really like both ways, and have not developed a preference, I just enjoy my "opportunities".

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2361 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  12:02:32 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally found the technique I love for socks two at a time. Toe up using Judy's Magic Cast On, Fleegle's heel and then bind off with Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off. In between can be any pattern but once I found the toe, heel and bind off I was all set. Funny thing: For the first I don't-how-many two-at-a-time socks on two cirs I made, I always took the socks off the two needles when I came to the heel and worked just the heels on one needle and then transferred both socks back to the two needles to complete. Totally unnecessary - what was I thinking of? That was it...I wasn't thinking, I guess.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1458 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  2:21:50 PM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer 1 sock at a time with 2 circulars but have done 2 socks at a time also with 2 circulars. I do a Turkish cast on for toe up, peasant heel, and Jenny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off (Thanks Azblueskies, I had forgotten what the bind off was called - I love, love that bind off). I use 2 circulars for the crown of hats, mittens, gloves and the fingers of gloves,sleeves in the round, and all sorts of things that are circles or tubes. I stopped using dp's when I had trouble dropping one on planes, busses, other places where picking up the dropped needle was difficult. I find magic loop too hard to start and not as easy to keep the loop in place when going from one half of the tube to the next.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4368 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  3:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Proudly waving my DPNs here! I've tried every method, and for me, nothing can replace them. They're quiet, nothing dangles or flops around while I'm knitting, and I never get ladders. My DPNs suit me perfectly!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2746 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  4:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hate every DPN I have ever used, and I don't like 2 circa, either. It's too many needles flapping loose for me. I'm a dedicated magic loop girl.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
Go to Top of Page

paloma
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  07:23:43 AM  Show Profile Send paloma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd enjoy magic loop a lot more if I completely understood the mechanics of getting the working yarn to carry over properly onto the front needle - there is definitely a correct system in doing so, and I transfer the yarn correctly only half the time - it slows me down a bit to correct it before moving on. But additionally I find this method a bit more monotonous than using my dpn's.

I never thought I'd say this but I adore working with my dpn's and have grown very fond of them for small circumferences. If there were a way to do socks two at a time this way I'd be one happy woman.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

680 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  08:49:55 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Socks I almost always do on the magic loop at this point . And, I'm right at the moment trying out the same method on a pair of mittens with two colors.
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  12:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mshark's Homepage Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a great thread! Personally, I gave up on DPNs after the Nth time I had to go chase one under somebody else's seat on the plane. I guess I just can't keep track of so many moving parts at once! I've become a big fan of Magic Loop and use it for just about any small-circumference knitting . The exception seems to be hats where I usually do switch to DPNs for the final few rounds and just pray none of the needles goes flying

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  7:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This question seems to come up every so often ... I definitely have become most comfortable with only one method, Magic Loop, even though I have tried them all. I learned to knit socks on dpns, but just "knew" there must be a better way. That was around the same time Cat Bordhi's book about using two circulars came out, which was also close to the same time the book on Magic Loop was available. I bought them both and tried both methods, but Magic Loop won out easily. The only thing I cannot handle (hands too big?) are the short circulars (9 inches and 16 inches), which for me are very inferior to Magic Loop for just about anything that's knit in the round. I also frequently knit two socks at once, but each on a separate circular needle, not on one needle, as that (for me) greatly removes the portability factor I like about socks.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

paloma
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2013 :  01:19:10 AM  Show Profile Send paloma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
This question seems to come up every so often

This topic does seem to arise often, but I've always read the personal preferences usually as part of another question (toe-up or top down comes up quite often as well). This way I'm able to gage what knitters are doing specifically through method to improve their skills, whether it be for speed (as in 2 socks at a time), needle handling, overall results, and preference for certain sock designs which I'm not sure can be translated from dpn's to magic loop but I could be wrong. I haven't been knitting that long but I've begun collecting Cookie A patterns since I started knitting. I believe she generally does cuff down on dpn's, though not sure if she adheres strictly to that. In any case I would have much trouble trying to translate her patterns to magic loop at this stage of the game.

I just finished one of "Bella's mittens" (meant for magic loop) on dpn's simply because I enjoy working with them. I may not take advantage of the 2-at-a-time method -- we'll see, though it can take away from having a small portable knitting project at hand for travelling when you need to. Like everyone else, too much going on with the holidays, so I'll have to wait next year in order to devote some time to the sock project.

One viable solution for travelling dpn knitters is to get the squared off needles so they don't roll away but it doesn't really solve the problem of them disappearing into the black hole of a crevice lol. I don't travel much, just the errands and short trips sort of thing and bring my work when I can, so not a flying-travelling issue for me, at least not yet
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe