Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Mice and Socks continue.......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1797 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  02:34:38 AM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our heroine has turned the heel, decreased for the instep, and is trundling along towards the toe.
Yesterday, she had a very bad moment, when, with only half-an-inch to go before decreasing for the toe, she thought she had run out of yarn!

This was particularly bad, because she had tried to prepare for such a moment by purchasing a skein of yarn of similar hand-dye type, and what looked like a similar color.

Mais helas! Ce ne va pas. The color was too intense for the soft, warm tone of the original sock wool.

The heroine went to bed to sleep off the disappointment, and when she woke up, AHA! hiding in her little knitting bag was a small ball of the original yarn, looking like just enough to get to the end of the toe!

The mice had been busy! They had taken all the 12-inch lengths of frogged yarn which our heroine just happened to save (because her mother was of Dutch ancestry, and kept house and worked during the great depression).

The mice twined and spit and rolled all the little yarn ends up to make a little yarn ball to finish Anna's little sock!

So, watch this space for the gripping finale, to make sure that the mice have learned to leave well enough alone, and Anna (our heroine) has overcome her knitting sinkhole, and is on her way!

Your friend,

The sock knitter.

PS. Lesson learned: Not even a Mac can guarantee color for picky knitters!

Life is beautiful.

flicka
Seriously Hooked

877 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  8:25:53 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a tale, Anna. It was mighty nice of the mice to give you some of the yarn back. Be careful of your toes while wearing those socks, though. The yarn must be very tasty.

flicka

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  9:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hooray for helpful mice!

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1797 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  6:52:35 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was picturing the little mice of Beatrix Potter's story of "The Tailor of Gloucester".

But really, the yarn is not little 12 inch strips, I am pretty sure it is all one length. (I hope).

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?