Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Pattern Talk
 Designers Forum
 When to send the design out for testing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1845 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  5:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few days ago, one of my friends sent out a pattern to several of us that she wanted someone to test. It was too early for her to do that. I looked over the pattern and found several errors, and some things missing. As it is a simple pattern, it was easy to see all of these things. But my point for posting this story is to say that designers might consider having an editor look over their pattern for any possible errors before it reaches the hands and bodies of a test knitter. I know that's an extra step, but it will lead to less frustration for the test knitter.

HTH!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  6:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could it be that she's asking for help seeing errors, even before the test knitting begins? I know that for me, tech editing is almost more important than test knitting. I always have someone check my pattern for errors and typos, long before it gets knitted by anyone but me.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1932 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  06:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I test knit for a woman who does the test knitting first and the tech editing second. I've tech edited for people who do it first and test knit second. It think it depends on the designer. Everyone has ways of thinking and it definitely makes sense to some to do one before the other.

She is lucky to have such a good friend in you. Test knitting is a big help to someone who is designing.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1845 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  5:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the encouragement! In this case, my friend was looking for people to actually knit the pattern. I don't think she realized there were simple errors in the writing. The pattern also needed some places where would be helpful to list the number of stitches after working increases in a row, for example.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe