Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Tension Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

demib
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  1:56:23 PM  Show Profile Send demib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any suggestions to prevent rowing out with regular stockinette knitting? Pattern stitching is a breeze for me - simple even stockinette drives me crazy!

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
542 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  2:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I am knitting stockinette stitch flat, I sometimes will use a smaller needle for the purl row, since my natural tension is to purl more loosely than I knit. This is really easy with an interchangeable needle ... just put the smaller size on the end in use on the purl row. And some yarns are more forgiving than others, too; often good wools even out after blocking.

I will admit, though, that I try to avoid large swaths of stockinette knit flat.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

demib
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  6:41:58 PM  Show Profile Send demib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll try that except in reverse - I think I'll try the smaller needle for my stitches which seem to be the larger ones. I'm determined to win this battle yet!
Go to Top of Page

demib
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  6:44:44 PM  Show Profile Send demib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops! I forgot the word 'knit' - It is my knit row that I think is looser. I knit English Style for the most part - so I tend to purl tighter. Combination knitting is helping me somewhat - I just have to get more practice with it.
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  9:58:03 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh good for you trying Combination knitting! The technique has helped me, too, and I have the same problem with rowing out, usually with small-needle projects like baby sweaters. Also, I seem to knit more loosely at the beginning of rows than at the end......there's always something!

Good luck on this--I do advocate practicing with different approaches, like the Combination Knitting--give it some time, see if you can make it work....everybody has his/her way of knitting well!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  05:58:52 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I have to ask. I've never heard the term rowing out. What does it mean - I get it that it concerns tension, but beyond that, no clue.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1256 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  08:17:18 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, ditto what yarnlover says.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
542 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  07:22:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I THINK "rowing out" is when there is a discernable difference in the look of the right-side rows in stockinette stitch (maybe others, but it seems to be most noticeable with st stitch) ... between the rows knit on one side and the rows purled on the other. Sometimes, to me, it almost looks as if there is sort of a horizontal "run" in the fabric, i.e., one row looks much tighter than the row above or below it. I have little problems with this myself when knitting in the round, since I'm not changing back and forth between knitting and purling. It is my understanding that many knitters do not knit and purl with the same tension, and this is what causes the difference in appearance. Some yarns are much more forgiving of tension issues than others.

I believe EZ said something about tension issues "evening out" with time, washing and wearing of items knit with good wool yarn.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Janettoo
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  7:13:06 PM  Show Profile Send Janettoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, rowing out is when the tension is different on alternate stockinette rows. It is easiest to see on the reverse side. If the rows of reverse stockinette nubs have gaps, that's rowing out.

There are several solutions. Different needle sizes for knit and purl. Experiment with different knitting and purling methods. Awareness and a conscious effort to knit/purl looser or tighter as needed.

Janet in TN
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  5:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first learned combination knitting, my purl stitches had bigger stitches than my knit stitches. I started knitting purl rose a little tighter, and now everything is fine. You might try that.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe