Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Celebs, Articles, Jokes, etc.
 The lady thats mad at me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  06:54:47 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was at a friends Grandmother house she is a knitter. She had a box of old patterns. I found a sweater, that I just had to make. This sweater had roses around the yoke just beautiful. I made it and was wearing it proudly. There was a lady walking thru the lab I work in who ask where I got the sweater. I told her I made it, and that's what started her to act weird. She ask who I made it for I said for myself. She then ask If I would give it to her, I said NO. A co worker was sitting near, said I better not give it away because I didn't make him socks. I have received calls about the sweater and e-mails. The last e-mail said that she would be watching and that I better not leave it on my chair anymore. Did I say I don't know her? I find her a little weird and told my boss about her and he said she had came to him about the sweater. He thought it was funny I didn't. Tell me is she weird? Donna

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  08:05:19 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes that is very weird and a little scary. I would not wear it to work again. What is really odd is that she went to the boss about it.
That must be some sweater. Could we see a pic of it?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2605 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  08:09:50 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is one of the strangest work stories I have ever heard. I agree - don't wear the sweater to work again. Perhaps if she (or the sock guy) raises the issue again, you might consider noting that you could teach them to knit during lunch, or do a commission piece for them. The cost of yarn + labor should quiet them right down. But this does not change the fact that you have one weird office.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  10:56:11 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made this sweater for work because its cold in here. I now have a hoodie at my desk. I'll have to post a picture, to me its just a sweater. Donna
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  12:02:41 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like she was threatening you, and you should report her to your HR dept and if they refuse to take action, to your local police dept

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  05:57:28 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you absolutely sure she is not joking and treating it as a running gag? I would say to her "When you threatened to take my sweater, you were only joking weren't you?" She will probably say yes in which case you can tell her what it is worth and how long it took to knit and that if it disappeared it would be theft and you would have to report it to the police because as she can see it is really a very valuable item and stealing it would be a police matter. Tell her you wanted to make sure as you felt threatened and it would be a shame if a joke got her into trouble like that but of course being so valuable, it would not be a joke to you if it disappeared.
Sort of labour the value of it and the seriousness of it and the fact that you would have to report it to the police etc and she should get the message.
Our parish priest is retired and lives in a house in the parish as he has no family and was in this town for nearly 30 years so it is really his home. He is great mates with my husband and they insult one another all the time. This is an Australian sense of humour. When my daughter was in US she was sitting in a cafe with a New Zealander and they were insulting one another hell bent for leather and there was a table of blokes sitting near them who were watching them aghast with their mouths wide open. Anne said they were waiting to see which of them started hitting the other first. They seemed astounded that these two girls were slinging insults at one another and laughing. It is very much an Australian thing. Mind you, you do have to be careful. Some people do not have the knack and they say things which are really insulting and that causes problems. The thing is you must not say anything that is true. For example if someone has a big nose you could not insult them by saying what a big nose they have. On the other hand you can insult someone for being old as long as you are also old. So the thing is, if this lady does have this sense of humour, the fact that she joked about stealing it means she is very unlikely to steal it. The fact that she mentioned it to the boss could just mean that she was saying how lovely she thought it was and including the boss in the joke.
My Mum used to get along very well with her sons in law who used to have a competition going to see who could insult her the worst. They used to skite about the latest insult they had flung at her and laugh uproariously at the insults she flung back at them. When she died, one of my brothers in law stood at the end of the bed almost in tears and said to my husband, "She's won. We can't beat this"

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  4:39:59 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say this is akin to harassment and HR may be able to shed some advise. In the meantime, I wouldn't wear it to work unless you have a locked locker to put it in if you take it off.
judy
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  07:13:23 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grandmoogi, We called that way of talking playing the dozen. I have a have a co-worker that we speak that way to each other and family members. This lady I don't know. I took what she said and moved my sweater. When I said NO to her that was the end of it for me. She is telling people that the sweater is going to be hers if she see it again. She didn't scare me at all just made sure I knew she was weird. Donna
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2395 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  12:16:59 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really think she was joking....trying to pay you a compliment.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  10:38:14 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't sound like she is joking to me. She asked you for the sweater, called you, sent emails, spoke to your boss and coworkers. She is determined to take your sweater even it seems, it will negatively effect her work reputation. If you brought it to work and she took it, does she think she can then keep it? Keep the emails and make a note of each phone call with the date and the substance of the conversation. If I worked with her I would be very careful. Something is not right with her. Can you find out if she talked about you before she saw the sweater? Do you think she is really obsessed with you and is using the sweater to get attention from you?
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  12:55:55 AM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Schaeferyarnlover about making note of her contacts with date and content and all, if possible. Just in case this escalates.
But she is definitely odd.

Good luck!

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

397 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  08:37:59 AM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, agree with Schaeferyarnlover.
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  10:56:52 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today when I came to work I thought it looked funny. Then it hit me there was not a sweater or a jacket on any chair. I know now I'm not the only one watching out for her. Donna
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  1:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised the management hasn't fired her. She is creating a threatening and stressful environment for you and now all of the co-workers in the office. HR needs to pull her in and have a talk with her, if nothing else.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  11:17:08 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Donna, maybe your co-workers are making moves to support you!

Whatever, it must help you to feel a little better......hope so!

This will blow over. I fantasized your wearing the lovely sweater one day, and as she walks by ogling it, you turn, glare at her, and say threateningly, "Deal with it!" .

Maybe not so good in a work environment, but good gracious, but she is out of line! (Also, doesn't it look as if she partakes of the dreadful non-knitter's mental disability called "Those Who Think Knitting Is So Simple That Anyone Can Do It, And Knitters Give Things Away, Anyway"?)

Poor woman, to be so disabled! :-)

Best wishes.

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  09:37:32 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Donna,
Do you have any updates on the situation? Has she threatened other co-workers with theft, is that why they removed their sweaters too?

Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  03:25:18 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think everybody remove their sweaters because in the past, we all have things come up missing. I had my babies picture frame stolen, we all had lunches missing, one lady had her breast milk stolen. Who would think sanitary napkins or flowers that our boss sent us. I haven't seen her around but I did tell everybody to watch out for her. Donna
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  04:05:17 AM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donnawatk

I think everybody remove their sweaters because in the past, we all have things come up missing. I had my babies picture frame stolen, we all had lunches missing, one lady had her breast milk stolen. Who would think sanitary napkins or flowers that our boss sent us. I haven't seen her around but I did tell everybody to watch out for her. Donna

Wow! You do work in an unusual place - I've never had a boss who sent me sanitary napkins...

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  07:34:57 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We didn't get sanitary napkins from my boss just flowers. The napkins were stolen from a desk. Donna
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  06:37:02 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow,

This lady sounds seriously scary, I would be afraid she might start stalking you and then steal the jumper.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose
Go to Top of Page

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  08:58:33 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donnawatk

I was at a friends Grandmother house she is a knitter. She had a box of old patterns. I found a sweater, that I just had to make. This sweater had roses around the yoke just beautiful. I made it and was wearing it proudly. There was a lady walking thru the lab I work in who ask where I got the sweater. I told her I made it, and that's what started her to act weird. She ask who I made it for I said for myself. She then ask If I would give it to her, I said NO. A co worker was sitting near, said I better not give it away because I didn't make him socks. I have received calls about the sweater and e-mails. The last e-mail said that she would be watching and that I better not leave it on my chair anymore. Did I say I don't know her? I find her a little weird and told my boss about her and he said she had came to him about the sweater. He thought it was funny I didn't. Tell me is she weird? Donna

I agree with other posters who urged you to notify HR. This woman is not merely weird, she is stalking and harassing you. Your boss needs to stop laughing and put an end to it, if he doesn't then it's a matter for Human Resources. It's too bad that you can't even wear your beautiful sweater to work. I used to keep a small hand-carved bird in my office but took it home after a co-worker who was rumored to take things kept admiring it. After being in the business world a hundred years (not really it just feels that way), I've learned never to keep anything "nice" at work.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?