Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Men's Sock
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marjjellaa
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  10:59:04 AM  Show Profile Send Marjjellaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Making a mens sock patt."on Dpn. needles. Knit 20 stiches past the marker. Now reposition your stitches so they are on only 2 needles;the heel needle will have the stitiches you just worked plus the same number from before the marker, the remaining half of your stitches will lagter become the instep. They remain unworked for this portion of the sock"My question is I started with 80 stitches for the sock, I work the heel flat, back and forth over half the stitches. My marker is to be at the center of my heel, so if I put 40 stitches for the instep on one needle and 20 stitches on the other needle what do I do with the other 20 stitches, Could someone clear up this confusion. This is a Margaret Testa Pattern and I can't access her website to ask quesions. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  12:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once you have made the heel flap, as you have done, you will need to turn the heel. When working a sock you have needles 1, 2, 3 and 4 with stitches on them. Now, of the 80 stitches, you will have 20 stitches, then your marker, then 20 more stitches on your heel needle. These 40 stitches are actually the stitches from needles 1 and 4, the heel flap stitches you just worked. I normally leave the other stitches on 2 needles = needles 2 and 3 which are the instep stitches. Each of those needles have 20 stitches already on them. I find it easier to manipulate my needles this way.

Turning the heel: Row 1: Slip 1, knit 22 stitches, ssk, k1, turn. Row 2: sl 1, p7, p2tog, p1, turn. Row 3: sl 1, k8, ssk, k1, turn. Row 4: sl 1, p9, p2tog, p1, turn. Continue on, increasing 1 more stitch with each row; that closes the gap from the turn. Stop when you have 24 stitches remaining on the needle. (Don't remove your marker because later you need to know where needle 1 separates from needle 4.)

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4369 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  4:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharon has answered your question well already, but you can contact Martha on Ravelry if you have questions, too. Her username is Martheme. Now I want to cast on a sock... reaching the heel flap is always so exciting!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth