Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 The chicken or the egg?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  04:29:56 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For most of my knitting life, my knitting choices have been pattern first, then yarn. Recently, I've been going the other way; I have the yarn, now I have to find the perfect pattern. Case in point, it was very important to find the perfect pattern for Lot 1 of the Great White Bale. Thank you Dawn Cantanzaro for Kennebec! I'm starting to really like "yarn first" method.

So I was wondering how do others approach their project choices?

emmyc
winchester ma

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4376 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  05:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sitting here, cursor blinking, trying to figure out how I decide what to knit. It's a tough question, because it all depends. If I have startitis, I go to the yarn first. What can I knit with this yarn right now? If I have something as incredible as Lot 1 sitting in front of me, I just start knitting and see where it goes, then I choose a pattern (or make one!). Sometimes, though, I'll be browsing Ravelry and a pattern will pop out it might use a technique that I want to try or master, or it might just be so incredible that I need to knit it. Then I dive into my stash and see what I can come up with.

Because I think I'm mostly a process knitter I love the knitting almost more than the result I don't think I'll ever have a clear idea of how I answer your question, but it sure is a good one!

And if the photos of Lot 2 are any indication, we're going to have a hard time deciding whether to knit it, or just keep the skeins draped around our necks!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

760 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  05:33:51 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look at my library on Ravelry, I would say its the pattern first. If you ask anybody that knows me they would say it yarn first. Donna
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  09:37:51 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane, you are a scoundrel with that tease about lot 2! but I'm sure going to ready when it shows up!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  10:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had startitis with the Lot 1. I think I've finally settled on Autobahn by Kate Gilbert. But Jane's lovely pattern is also so lovely. See? Startitis.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1228 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  07:34:18 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I start with the pattern, which is where I usually feel the initial lust. I'm kind of a pattern stalker. Somebody mentions a pattern and I go look it up. If I feel the lust and the pattern has a lot of techniques that are new to me, I'll seek a pattern with less whatever it is, less twisted stitches, less fair isle, fewer new techniques, and I'll work my way up to the more complex pattern. I pick out specific yarn pretty much project by project.
Not to say I don't go bonkers sometimes and see some yarn I have to have, but yarn lust is powerful stuff, and I'm afraid it will take over my pocketbook and my savings account, not to mention my freezer, so I keep it in a deep, dark well in my soul and only let it out sometimes.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

877 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  10:10:01 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by robinstephanie:
quote:
yarn lust is powerful stuff, and I'm afraid it will take over my pocketbook and my savings account, not to mention my freezer...

Wait, you keep your yarn in the freezer, too? That makes me feel almost sane. I thought I was the only one.

Sorry for the threadjack.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  9:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me tell you about my first sweater, knitted in 2009. I bought the yarn in 1993, thinking I would weave it, and nothing happened. Then in 2005, I resumed knitting and kept eyeballing that yarn, thinking there was enough there for a sweater. So I started looking for a pattern, and it was IMPOSSIBLE to find a pattern whose guage was 3 sts/inch!

Enter Priscilla Gibson-Roberts, who I met and spent four hours with in August 2009. She showed me a couple cardigans she'd knitted, and I swooned over the sleeve design. Yes, I thought I could do that. But nothing happened.

Six weeks later, I had emergency eye surgery and knitting socks was impossible for a while: the stitches were too small. So I thought about that yarn, and about Priscilla's sweater, so I called her up and asked about her shoulder join, another detail I love, and bless her heart: she knew darned well I'd never knitted a sweater before and gave me all the percentages over the phone. I knitted that bulky yarn up into a V-neck, pullover, drop-sleeve sweater in five days, from scratch, with all those percentages. The wonderful thing I realized after it was finished was that the gauge didn't matter any more if I was developing all the numbers. Shortly thereafter, I bought Priscilla's "Knitting in the Old Way," and the rest is history. My next eight sweaters were all from scratch, too.

Yes, I knit sweaters from patterns, too, but it doesn't freak me if the numbers don't come out quite right. I made many adjustments to the Central Park Hoodie--increasing the hipband ribbing, exchanging some weird seams for seamless areas, removing the "elf point" from the hood, and so on--and it all worked (you can see it on Ravelry). I think it's great to use THE yarn stated in a pattern, but the "undesignated" yarn I have in my stash eventually inspires me to create something, a real gift given by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts that I would love to pass on to other knitters.

OK, I'm back to my knitting (a new pair of socks right now).

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  04:43:04 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am now consumed with finding a perfect pattern for 1800 yds of DK alpaca from the KR stash lounge. My motivation is that it is 45 degrees in Boston.

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1228 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  09:48:43 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ruh-roh. Now she's done it. She's used the word "perfect". This always stirs us up. The perfect what? Sweater? Blanket? It always opens up so many questions, the word "perfect" and means so many things.

This made me feel a little lusty this morning. It's kind of perfect:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/beck-3

This is stunning, but it takes a certain body type to pull it off:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kimono-styled-sweater

I find so much of "perfect" depends upon mood.

Good luck, emmyc!

[[Flicka: I don't really keep yarn in my freezer, although I'm not sayin' I never will. It was a little homage to Clara. wink.]]

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  1:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the kimono style sweater. Now lets see, where can I buy a corset . . . . .

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

877 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  09:56:15 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by robinstephanie:
quote:
Flicka: I don't really keep yarn in my freezer, although I'm not sayin' I never will.

Hahaha, I should have known! I am so out of the loop. I will now cede this topic to those in the loop, and go back to knitting with my well-chilled yarn.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  09:39:09 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oooh, both are beautiful. the kimono would fit me better...

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  10:35:38 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta find that book. Too tired to search now but I have noted the name and author. Priscilla Knitting the old fashioned way.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4376 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  1:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the link to Clara's review of Priscilla Gibson-Roberts' Knitting in the Old Way: http://www.knittersreview.com/article_book.asp?article=/review/reading/031211_a.asp

I have an original version, and it's an amazing resource!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

760 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  03:37:57 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK somebody tell me, I have a deep freezer why would I put yarn in there?
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  07:02:38 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
donna, if it is wool to keep the moths out.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1228 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  08:35:51 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flicka and Donna, re: freezer: http://knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/profile/040108_a.asp

Shalee: http://www.darkgarden.com/

EmmyC: Any decisions yet?

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  06:31:11 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed. I've chosen an older pattern from vogue knitting shawls and wraps called "bobble trim wrap" although I am skipping the bobbles. I may do them after the fact (or maybe not!).

I was absurdly pleased with my lot 1 kennebec. So much that I'm just leaving it draped on my living room sofa like a throw. Even my DH touches
it when he walks by.

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1228 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  10:18:12 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an elegant wrap, EmmyC. I checked it out on Rav and put it in my favorites. I just loved the texture of it. It's gonna be gorgeous in DK Alpaca.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  07:32:07 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always keep yarns in the freezer, when I can. It's the perfect place. But now I have so much yarn that the small chest freezer is full. I used to start with the pattern, but then, having lived through the great yarn drought of the late 80's, early 90's, I started stashing.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth