Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Bulky or Chunky Machines
 Brother KH 270 vs. Silver Reed LK 155
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

HopkinGreen
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  4:05:17 PM  Show Profile Send HopkinGreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I'm interested in purchasing a double bed machine (knitting machine + ribber) that takes bulkier yarns. I have a mid-gauge machine now - but since it's the LK 150 - there is no ribber available for that. And I have a LOT of bulky yarns (some of them won't go through any knitting machine of course - but many of them would).

I found an excellent resource for refurbished knitting machines that have had all their servicing done, etc. - new sponge bars, etc. It seems like the cost of the LK 155 and the Brother KH 270 would be about the same for me. So then it comes down to - which one would be better. I know the Silver Reed LK 155 machines are still being made and that would be a definite point in it's favor! After all, if it's still being made, then I don't have to worry about parts aging and not being able to hunt down replacement parts eventually. But I know of a few good places that still service Brother machines - so maybe it's not that big of an issue?

I'm also just wondering that between the Silver Reed 155 and the Brother KH 270 - Do these two "bulky machines" perform the same on bulky weight yarns? Does one accept heavier gauge yarns more easily than the other? Is one just a sturdier machine over the other? Sometimes newer isn't always better. I just don't have any idea of how the Silver Reed LK 155 compares with the Brother KH 270 in terms of how well it works with the yarn, how reliable it is and how easy it is to use. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, I was looking into buying a Hague Linker and while I'm not sure if the Hague Linker would be okay for knits coming off of my mid-gauge machine, I feel even less confident that it would handle stuff coming off of a bulky machine. Anyone have any two cents on a great linker for bulky machine knits? (or is it just assumed that all finishing would be done by hand for bulky knits because bulky knits have fewer stitches to deal with?)

Thanks!

Elise
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?