Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Literally dropping the ball
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3461 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  12:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read in the Yarn Harlot's books about dropped yarn balls that follow you as you walk around (the worse being a ball dragged from a car!) but it never happened to me until last week.

It could have been the drinks (two cocktails). Maybe the dim lighting at the bar obscured the surroundings. In any case I left the bar with a ball of Sundara silk lace unravelling for at least 30 feet while a nice gentleman ran after me (he even wound the ball as he went along!).

So when was the last time you 'dropped the ball'?

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  3:04:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not dropped one like that outside of my house, but I did once have a rogue ball of Twilley's Freedom Wool take off on a plane. It made it a good 10 rows before I realized it. Lol!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1684 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  4:08:20 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh, that nice gentleman must have a knitter in his life. I'm impressed that he was winding the ball as he went along! How else would he have known what to do?LOL
judy
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3978 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  06:35:23 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, what a nice man

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1256 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  08:22:38 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I lost a ball on the subway once. Zip! In 2 seconds it was rows down, past the doors, and almost to the end of the car. My stop was coming. I ran to retrieve it. People had to lift feet and stuff, but they were very nice and laughing. The last strand ran under a guy's legs, and he was sleeping. By that time, people were starting to get on at the stop. I had to bend down and reach behind his legs to unwrap the strand. But then it was free and I leapt off the train.

And I bet it was a pleasure for the gentleman to retrieve your ball of yarn. It seems like such a sweet, unconscious action. I bet you reminded him of a knitter he loves.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  11:38:59 AM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a wonderful little story, Minh!

Knitting with Sundara silk lace in a bar! Wuf! pretty nervy!
(I think I may be extra-posessive of my one ball of Sundara silk lace, because I get it out and stroke it from time to time, and have had it for several years. No pattern seems to be worthy of this yarn! I am silly about this, I think!)

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  09:01:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love these stories!

YAY Minh that you had a helpful person!

Yay Robinstephanie that you got it all done in time for your stop!

I too have dropped yarn. Usually either waiting for a subway or once I stepped into the subway and a man followed me with a dropped ball. Thank goodness for him or my ball would unraveled behind my train like something in a movie.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  10:41:19 AM  Show Profile Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh, that scene could be the opening of a very romantic movie! I had an experience like Robinstephanie on an Amtrak train. I happened to drop the ball as the train was going around a curve so in addition to unrolling down the aisle, it crossed back and forth and under seats so just about everybody in the car -- mostly businessmen in suits, half of them on their cell phones -- had to get involved in the retrieval. Fortunately, everybody was good natured about it. I have since invested in a couple of the Yarn Pop project bags that have a small space to feed the working yarn through even when it is completely zipped. No more runaway yarn for me!

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Go to Top of Page

hnick
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  04:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit hnick's Homepage Send hnick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One time I dropped a ball of yarn in a school auditorium at my kids concert. Because the floor was sloped downwards, the ball took off and rolled under rows and rows of seats. It was the most embarrassing thing ever. A friend helped me retrieve it. I had to ask all the people in the seats in front of me to pass the ball underneath their seats to the people behind them.

http://hnick.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

luxyarns
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  09:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit luxyarns's Homepage Send luxyarns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last time I DROPPED the ball...involved a mud puddle...NOT pretty, but leading me to design my Yarn a Long bracelet, and ending the problem for me!

For the Love of Fiber,
Deb Rock
Go to Top of Page

knittingsister
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  1:17:15 PM  Show Profile Send knittingsister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have a dropped yarn story: My daughter's dog got a ball of my special tatting thread, dragged it all around the yard, the entire ball. Embarrassed because I had left it within her reach, I quietly picked it all up from the yard, put it in a plastic bag to unsnarl and rewind on my plane trip home. On the plane, didn't I drop the ball and it rolled under a nearby seat. I was about to give up and leave it there, but a kind man in the next row got under the seat and retrieved it for me. I could never thank him enough.
Go to Top of Page

Sloknitr
New Pal

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile Send Sloknitr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While the ball of yarn was securely in my knitting bag, I dropped the project on my exit from the elevator. I discovered this when I got to the door of my hotel room. I followed the yarn back to the elevator door and was able to pull the project and needle free, but the door had bent my precious Addi Lace needle. Well, I found that it was no trouble at all to knit with a bent Addi Lace needle and continued to knit my shawl for the rest of my trip.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  10:22:51 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hee hee these are good "yarns" My daughter dropped a ball as she was walking along knitting in a shopping centre once. It went along the street and in the door and through into the shop. Trouble was, we could not get out the in door. I had to go out the exit while she waited inside the entrance for me to go and retrieve it. Serves her right for knitting while walking along the street.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1256 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  08:24:00 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a great thread. These stories fill me with a sense of glee--all those people being exposed to knitting and helping the knitter. No one has mentioned any grumps or anybody being mean or annoyed, they're all good matured [edited: uh, natured, not matured] folks. It's like helping with the knitting brings out the best, or at least the good, in people somehow. Or at least that's my little fantasy world.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

crc532
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  8:34:31 PM  Show Profile Send crc532 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last summer, my husband, daughter and I went out for breakfast. Of course, my knitting was along for the ride and came in and out of the restaurant with me. On our return home, I started to knit again and all of a sudden we hear a boing! after a mile or so and I screamed realizing my yarn had been trailing us from outside the car. My wonderful, wonderful husband turned the car around and drove slowly down the road and wouldn't you know it, we found the end of the yarn. He stopped the car and I got out and started rolling the yarn into a ball. I had to, it was the last of the yarn for a project I was in the middle of. I am one crazy knitter!

crc
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  5:28:36 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I "dropped the ball" on a bus. I was in the back & it rolled right down the middle to the the front!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe