Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 What's on your list?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2027 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2013 :  04:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

We know it has been a rugged week for the US as a country w/the Boston Marathon tragedy & the tragedy & deaths w/ the factory fire in Texas & on personal/professional levels, so many of us have had full plates. One way we know we find comfort is to hit on our knitting bags. For me, it's plural & many are Lanea bags that I have bought at the KR Retreat, Rhinebeck or at MD.

So, what items are in my knitting bags? Thanks for asking.
* the 1st sock w/yummy Spirit Trail sock yarn which is almost done!
* the 2nd sock for my wonderful partner, 2 or so inches to go
* a Jayne hat, binding off w/the ear flaps to go
* a really sweet simple shawl. 1/4 done
* the bottom 1/3 of a sweater that I am ambivalent about - to frog or to turn into a vest.

Please share - a little good news please.
Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
543 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2013 :  06:43:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ... after struggling through a very pink, very lacy, very girlie baby blanket for my niece's first baby that was supposed to be a girl according to the ultrasound or whatever they use now to determine that before birth, she had a boy! This was the first time EVER that I strayed from a unisex color for a not-yet-born baby (I've never trusted those scans), and I learned my lesson, that's for sure.

So, I've started on a pale green blanket that will just have to be late. I'm not fond of baby blankets, as they go on forever for me. I usually make one of the 8-hour (I know, always takes me more than 8 hours!) patterns, but have chosen another this time. I'm not in the mood at all for this.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2013 :  07:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Martha, how did you know that I need to do a little knitting bag assessment today? I have a serious case of startitis, but I need to stop and enjoy what I've got right in front of me! Here's what I can see from here:

A lace scarf (Road Less Traveled by Lisa Lloyd) in Spirit Trail's beautiful Nona the yarn was chosen by one of the Remarkable R's at last year's Rhinebeck, and the scarf is just about halfway finished.
A blanket for my best friend, also almost finished. It was supposed to be her Christmas present...
Socks in Peace Love Yarn's BFL just for me.
More socks, a pair of Hickories in Sundara Sock, also for me.
Even more socks, a pair of Hedgerows for a friend, also in Sundara Sock.

I have started and finished quite a few wonderful projects lately, but these are the ones that seem to get taken for granted. Poor babies.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1256 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2013 :  10:50:09 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, startitis--or maybe what i have is finiboinkis. At Stitches I found this incredible orange Russian yarn, from the oldest continuously operating yarn mill in Russia. I bought all 22 balls, because, well, you know how it is. It jump-started my latent lust to make a crocheted granny square blanket in really bright colors, and I've been going nuts with Knitpicks palette trying to get the "perfect" set of colors together. I've given myself strict instructions to finish carding my Cormo, knitting the Fair Isle baby hat, the Kalajoki socks, the Comfy Shawl, finish crocheting the freeform cowl before I start that blanket! I've finished the hat, am on the last stretch of the socks... let's see how far I get before I cave! Luckily I'm still waiting on the final batch of yarn from knitpicks...

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2027 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  07:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

You go, Robinsteph - what a terrific list!

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  10:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 2 baby sweaters I put on the needles this weekend b'c I finished 2 shawls last week and a pair of mittens. I figure finish more than I start and I am ahead of myself.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  3:49:46 PM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a cowl in one bag and a Wingspan in another. These are my "active" projects.

I also have:

an Einstein coat
a pair of plain red socks
at least 3 bags in my closet that I should open because I forgot what is in them

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  10:07:20 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still have not finished that shrug.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2389 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  12:15:20 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on a pullover in cotton. I wish I could start multiple projects but I have this thing about finishing whatever I'm working on before moving onto the next (except for socks - I like to have a pair on the needles for travel knitting). But right now, I can't wait to move on. I've swatched my next project but that's it until I finish this darned thing. Starting the sleeves this evening so I'm getting close.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  04:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So glad there are so many others who manage to start projects all the time. Right now in the bag I have 2 crochet projects started, both mesh scarves, and two sets of knitted and felted napkin rings that are/were finished and haven't sold. So now I'm thinking of adding wet-felted flowers to them. Or maybe not!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/scarfitupwilmington
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  05:32:26 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just finished Earth & sky shawl and Deco Beanie. In my bag I have Lion brand Autumn Lace Afghan. I need to know am I sick I have this afghan on needles and have a strange need to find something else to knit at the same time. Donna
Go to Top of Page

liz ruork
New Pal

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  05:53:50 AM  Show Profile Send liz ruork a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hihi
have never participated in this forum before but i loved the idea of sharing the contents of my knitting bags lol

1. just finished,
but looking for 1 last pearl button in my large but very disorganized button collection..
bella cardigan from essentially feminine knits in manos' serena - alpaca/ cotton- great pattern

2. my own design for a short sleeve turtleneck t-shirt requested by my niece for her 18th birthday (last week)... my rescue dog has tried to destroy this particular project 4 times since he got here a month ago lol.... first time i am using the contiguous sleeve method ... using colourmart cashmere twisted up to a fingering weight... i am 3/4 through

3. ando cardigan from brooklyn tweed... a project for me... and so unlikely ever to be completed... in holst garn supersoft in marlin.... what a wonderful shetland wool and not expensive... i love a yarn where you take it off the needles , leave it on a shelf and come back weeks later and the stitches are all in tact .... 2/3 complete

4. 20 colourways of holst garn supersoft in alluring and adventurous colours destined to become the perfect modern fair isle pullover.... in my dreams.... holst sells 25 gram balls and i will use the rest of the marlin from project 3

5. sportweight black cashmere from colourmart sleeps and dreams of becoming a beautiful replacement for the perfect turtleneck sweater that deserted me years ago (measurements precisely taken and carefully preserved for the day that the great work can begin)

lizruork
Go to Top of Page

era253
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  07:37:48 AM  Show Profile Send era253 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Startitis and Finishboinkis descriptions. I have both. I have a purple afghan that I use as a "no need to pay attention" project, which has gotten too big to carry around. Also, I have a Carole Sunday designed sweater for my sister which I have frogged completely once and am about 3/4 of the way through. If anyone has ever knit a SundayKnits design you know how much attention this requires. This project has become my sister's "sometime in my lifetime" present. I also have the beginnings of a baby blanket for stepson and DIL who are expecting in early September. We are in the process of packing for our move from Chicago burbs to Florida while I'm trying to fit in all this finishing. Oy.
Go to Top of Page

Gibson Girl
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  07:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gibson Girl's Homepage Send Gibson Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely on a finish roll! Why I don't finish as soon as I complete the knitting absolutely eludes me because as I've recently found out it doesn't take much time- and then you get to WEAR it!!! Anyway I just about have completed everything in all those assorted bags in the "knitting closet" The only thing remaining is a swirl coat in stash yarn remnants...shades of white. No matter how much time I give it, it never seems to get finished. Think its because the rows are so long you don't feel your getting anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  09:28:30 AM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello! I haven't been on the forums for a while. In my knitting bag I have a teapot cozy from a book called Knitting 24/7 (how I wish I could knit 24/7!), and a pair of striped mittens practically done - just need to weave in the ends. The teapot is made from lavender wool yarn I got at Joann's long ago. I just never found the right project for it until now. The striped mittens are Ann Budd's generic mitten pattern and using oddballs of yarn. They are mostly in blues and purples, but with a narrow red stripe across the knuckles for a little extra pop of color. I'm happy with how they turned out.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

ElendilPickle
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  09:33:11 AM  Show Profile Send ElendilPickle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my bag are an Up on the Roof cardigan, the start of a Lizzy sock, and my In Dreams shawl. It's been close to a year since I last worked on the shawl - I suppose I should get back to it. :-)
Go to Top of Page

ella
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  10:43:02 AM  Show Profile Send ella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Projects in my bag include Cat Bordhi's Anemone hat in Jojoland Rhythm superwash, a Jane Austin scarf using two yarns: Trekking sock yarn and Kid Silk Haze, swatches of double knitting for a class on same, cotton velour wash mits and superwash wool baby booties for charity.

I hope to finish the hat and scarf ASAP, concentrate on learning double knitting and spend the summer knitting with cottons. Stash digging re-discovered a couple of skeins of Louet linen yarn. Any pattern suggestions for cool summer linen knitting?
Go to Top of Page

Collier
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  11:09:50 AM  Show Profile Send Collier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A great topic after a long winter...which seems to be hanging on here in N. Iowa. My knitting bag has my first Color Affection in spring colors; which was started after completing the Cornerstone Blanket. The blanket was a great winter project-kept me warm as I finished the assembly. I also have the second sock for a pair of top-down socks and a pair of toe-up socks. And the last remaining rows of a Before/After scarf that will need beads in the bind off-so that was isn't picked up very often at the moment. I am already cautiously looking around the knitting room for the next project to start.

Susan14-I too have the Knitting 24/7 book-How's that cozy pattern?

Claudia
Go to Top of Page

anotherbev
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  9:30:21 PM  Show Profile Send anotherbev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
, I have two knitting bags I am making the "Frilly Scarf by Tove B" (has a twin leaf pattern, and I am leaving off the ruffle) out of Lion Brand Superwash Merino Cashmere. I am making "Seed Stitch Sweater", from Debby Ware's "Too Cute: Cotton Knits for Toddlers." I am using Tahki Cotton Classic.I have a ruffly scarf on the needles, made from "Sashay," and finally, I am making Caron's "Knit it Tonight Cowl," except that I am using Homespun. I've also got "Crazy Ball" for soks, and some hand-dyed "Baby camel down mulberry silk merino wool that will become a delicate, lacey narrow scarf for me. Makes me tired now.
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1684 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  6:14:18 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Lisa Knits cable-front vest in a gray Encore Worsted about 2/3 done, have a List Knits scarf about 1/2 done, a pair of socks in Berocco Comfort sock and an Ann Noorling baby sweater in Plymouth Dreambaby DK. Am reluctant to start anything else right now as I'm soon to have rotator cuff surgery on my dominant arm.......wont be able to knit for several weeks! Maybe I'll get to that other never ending knitting issue....sorting through my knitting books, magazines, patterns, stash, needles etc, etc etc!!
judy
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  8:26:59 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a knitting bag for every UFO that I own! There is a poncho (I know, what possessed me?) that I started during the cold winter nights a year and a half ago. There is a darling pink sweater for my DGD Fiona in a 6 month size....but she's 18 months old now. There are 3 different pairs of socks (yes, in 3 different bags) that will probably be rewound and knitted on my CSM, which I bought after they were all started. And then there's the hats.....only two knitting bags with hats, and I actually DO finish those. I have one that I carry to work, and work on during my lunch, and another that I work on at home. Oftentimes there is a third one that goes in the car, so I can keep busy on roadtrips, but lately I just take cotton on the road, and make dishcloths.

This sounds like I don't FINISH much, but I've actually make over 80 hats since November 1st. That's when I finished all my special orders and took a vow to never take another special order as long as I live. These hats will be sold at the farmer's market (along with the pink sweater that will fit no one in my family) this summer.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.