Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Knitting with seed beads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RedAby
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  09:46:03 AM  Show Profile Send RedAby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I just watched several youtube videos on how to knit with beads and I need some explanation. Is there a reason why you would use the dental floss or crochet technique instead of simply stringing the beads onto your working yarn? The only reason I could see is that it's less wear and tear on your yarn. The floss or crochet method seem very fiddly to me.

My project calls for adding 450 #6/0 beads using a strong fingering weight wool/silk blend.

Thanks

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  11:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the super floss method. I do find sliding all of those beads over the yarn the yarn does get fuzzy. And it's easier to fix a mistake or tink back if needed.

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  4:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several years ago I bought a kit for a very, very small little bag. I had to thread the beads on the crochet cotton first! Since then I've done some reading on this very subject. I think the best way is to "Is there a reason why you would use the dental floss or crochet technique instead of simply stringing the beads onto your working yarn?" Beads can and do occasionally break. This can be a real problem if you are working a pattern with more than one color bead. Also, even if every or every other stitch involves a bead you still could run into problems if you don't have enough beads strung on your working yarn/crochet cotton.

I vote for the individual insertion of each bead, not stringing.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  4:46:27 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The advantage of stringing beads on your yarn is that your project becomes portable. If you are using the method of individually inserted a bead onto a stitch, it is much less so. Having said that, I do agree that pre-stringing does add stress to your yarn. As usual, it's a trade-off. Pre-stringing on some projects (like Odessa) were fine, maybe because it uses a slightly heavier (DK) yarn. When I've used beads on lace weight yarn, I've always done it individually with a tiny crochet hook.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

RedAby
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  8:47:32 PM  Show Profile Send RedAby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arghhhhhh. I was afraid of that. Bead stringing sounded too good to be true.
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  07:18:05 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, the bead does sit a little differently on the knitting with the two different techniques. I can't remember exactly the difference since it has been quite a while since I took a class on this, but you could do a little swatch with each technique to see which suits your project. If it doesn't make a difference, then I would also choose to add beads individually for all the same reasons mentioned.

When I took my class, we used a short piece of very thin wire, maybe 2-3 inches or so, folded in half, to insert the bead instead of a crochet hook. The wire can go through smaller bead holes more easily.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  3:41:00 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you pre-string the beads, they sit on one "leg" of the knitted stitch, and you need to be sure that when you slide them onto the stitch, you do it consistently and don't let them end up on the back (wrong side) of the knitting. When you add them as you go, you slide them over both legs. I'm not sure that ultimately it is noticeable on the finished project, but there you have it.

The folded wire technique is really good, if you can find a piece of wire when you need it!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Gibson Girl
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  1:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gibson Girl's Homepage Send Gibson Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use beads quite a bit and find string them on fine yarn a good solution. Also the best thing to use for adding the beads to yarn is the little gizzmo used for getting dental floss into tight spaces between teeth.. It's made of fishing line type stuff in the shape of a loop with a tail. Put the yarn in the loop and string the bead on the tail - pulling them through. It's small and fits nicely in my tool bag.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

698 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  08:02:35 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a very useful and inexpensive beading tool at www.she-knits.com
Also on Etsy.

The store owner has a youtube video showing exactly how to use her tool, and she was most pleasant to deal with.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  12:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that beading tool. Cross between superfloss and crochet hook. Thanks for sharing the link

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by