Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 The Great American Aran Afghan...anyone??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  12:11:23 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wish I could find a copy of the patterns. Unfortunately, I don't have the Knitters magazines and I can't find a copy for sale (well, at a reasonable price, anyway....Amazon has some copies for $190!). I'll have to check the library next time we go. I like the idea of framing the blocks and hanging them on the wall. Have fun ladies...I'll join you if I can get my hands on the patterns.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  12:56:06 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a start on my Georgia Vincent 2nd time around block today. As far as my GV block No. 1, it came out nice, but I'm sure I'll prefer No. 2 since that's why I'm reknitting this block. I will still block the first one and will most likely make a gift out of it...a soft little blanket for my cat Penelope to cuddle with. :)

Bobbi

quote:
Originally posted by Shalee

First, GAAA means Great American Aran Afghan. Still working on the Georgia Burns. I keep getting my cable directions mixed up. I've been so tired I haven't been able to think straight! Finally got a good nights sleep Tuesday night and that helped. I'm only up through row 25, but at least it is all correct now. I put a life line in last night so I'd know it was good to that point. Got 5 hours of good sleep last night (Wednsday night), and have to go be at the hospital at 8:00 am for a cat scan this morning. I am NOT a morning person! I'm lucky to be able to get to bed before 2:00 am. Then I toss and turn.

I felt so great yesterday I actually got a pair socks done on my CSM and one tube sock plus all but the toe on the 2nd tube sock! Today I plan on buying more of the tube sock yarn. It is Bernat's Baby Softee and soooo soft! After I get home I'm going to finish the toe and kitchner the tube socks closed; that pair is a gift. I want a pair for myself, that is why I'm buying another ball of that yarn! CSM = circular sock machine. I went to a Christmas Day dinner and all 6 of the other people there asked for socks! I have one pair to go, then I need to kitchner all those toes closed; then I can wash and block them so I can deliver them! Cards tonight, so I'll probably take the tube socks with me to kitchner while I just sit, if I am the 1st one out!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

EDITED TO ADD: The doctor's office forgot to give me the contrast stuff to drink! Rescheduled for 10:00 tomorrow! Oh well, at least I'm up and ready to knit!

"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."
Go to Top of Page

LoriFisher1962
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  7:50:26 PM  Show Profile Send LoriFisher1962 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi.

I finally got the ok email to begin posting. As Sharon said, my yarn is still on order....ugggg. Realistically, I think it will be towards the end of the month, before I receive it. No worries...always have stuff on the needles.

Looking forward to getting to know you all, and knitting the gaaa.
Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  9:27:46 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AZBLUE,

I got my copy of The Great American Aran Afghan at my favorite yarn shop in Concord, NH. I am pretty sure it was $12.95 and there were more copies of the book there. If you order online, I don't believe they charge anything for shipping. If you're really wanting the book, maybe go to their website and send them an email telling them you'd like to order a copy. www.elegantewe.com

Bobbi

quote:
Originally posted by azblueskies

Wish I could find a copy of the patterns. Unfortunately, I don't have the Knitters magazines and I can't find a copy for sale (well, at a reasonable price, anyway....Amazon has some copies for $190!). I'll have to check the library next time we go. I like the idea of framing the blocks and hanging them on the wall. Have fun ladies...I'll join you if I can get my hands on the patterns.

azblue
So much to learn, so little time.

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  11:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like tomorrow will be a good day for knitting in our area. I'm about one hour south of Erie, PA and they were actually being featured on The Weather Channel tonight! My area isn't getting much snow, ut it is cold out there! Only 10* right now, 1:20 am, with a high expected of 5*. Now tell me, it is now Tuesday and 10* but the high will be 5* ------ I guess that is after the sun comes up! The low will be 2*, supposedly. They are announcing that I-90 is closed into NY and Ohio. Reminds me of Rock Springs, Wyoming when we lived there. Darned near the whole state would be closed frequently during the winter.

Still working on my 2nd square.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  01:26:03 AM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to knitting tomorrow too. Cold and snow here as well in the foothills of the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

My computer was down for a few days after I had to unplug everything and move my desk to make way for a huge armoire to come into the house. The armoire is great and has room in it for all my knitting books and yarn, etc. etc. But try to plug in all those wires and cables correctly again...O.M.G.!! Finally called tech support at my ISP, and just like magic the fellow got me through it all in about 20 minutes.

Have a visitor in a warm corner of my kitchen for the time being. One of my older hens was not letting one of the younger hens eat, and she is extremely thin...not that that was readily apparent due to all the feathers...but when I picked her up yesterday, she was all bones and not much to her. First thing fed her, second thing gave her a nice bath since she is going to be inside for a while. Bathing her soooooooo much easier than giving the cat a bath!! :) She's a Buff Orpington and really just the sweetest little creature. I am not going to put her back with the others until she is doing much better and has gained ground.

Started Dagmara Berztiss pattern, page 48, this evening. My copy of The Great North American Afghan arrived in the mail, and lots of beautiful blocks there I am looking forward to. Hope you are well - take good care!

Bobbi

quote:

Looks like tomorrow will be a good day for knitting in our area. I'm about one hour south of Erie, PA and they were actually being featured on The Weather Channel tonight! My area isn't getting much snow, ut it is cold out there! Only 10* right now, 1:20 am, with a high expected of 5*. Now tell me, it is now Tuesday and 10* but the high will be 5* ------ I guess that is after the sun comes up! The low will be 2*, supposedly. They are announcing that I-90 is closed into NY and Ohio. Reminds me of Rock Springs, Wyoming when we lived there. Darned near the whole state would be closed frequently during the winter.

Still working on my 2nd square.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  07:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a nice pattern. So, three is going to be your total? I told Lori to choose what square she wanted to start with and I'd follow along with her choice..

It is just after 9:00 and 7 degrees out. I don't want to be up, but the blankety blankety phone rang. Going back to bed! The one day I was looking forward to, so I could sleep in and the s!#/\ doctors office calls for a follow up appointment next Monday. At least that will be at 3:00 in the afternoon!

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  07:18:23 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bobbi. Just emailed them.

azblue
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  08:12:44 AM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon,

This will be the 3rd block. I did not knit another Georgia Vincent block yet, but in time I definitely will. Although my DEC2's not the way she intended, the block is still nice - and while I probably won't frame it, it is too nice (and too much work!:) to gift to Penelope, so maybe I will use it as a dust cover for the laser printer right here on my desk where I can see it and where it won't be ruinned by that cat kneading that they never seem to grow out of.

It is 15-degrees here this morning, and we are supposed to get the snow...I assume the same storm after it passes by your area. But back to the blocks...

As I make these, I just know I will not be able to stop at three blocks :) as I really love having the work to pick up.

Bobbi

quote:

That is a nice pattern. So, three is going to be your total? I told Lori to choose what square she wanted to start with and I'd follow along with her choice..

It is just after 9:00 and 7 degrees out. I don't want to be up, but the blankety blankety phone rang. Going back to bed! The one day I was looking forward to, so I could sleep in and the s!#/\ doctors office calls for a follow up appointment next Monday. At least that will be at 3:00 in the afternoon!

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  2:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just called my LYS in Waterford and asked Marge, the owner, to send me some yarn! I ordered one bag (10 balls) of Plymouth Encore in the snow white, not the stark white. I'm starting over! I decided that the hand wash Cascade 220 was not a good choice, in the long run. My DS will be the recipient of the afghan, after I am gone, and I just know he would throw it in the washing machine! I'm not going to proceed with the square I'm currently working on. I'll start it over when the new yarn gets here. I would have gone up there but the wind is playing havoc with driving, north of here.

It is 8 1/2 degrees here now. When it snows the tiny flecks of snow are dry, as far as I can tell. I not about to even stick my nose out the door to find out!

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  7:50:30 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharon,

Well I am using a man-made fiber because I want to frame them and am not real keen on moths chewing holes in them...and this way they will leave them alone. They knit up and block nicely and show the knitting really well which is what I was after.

I am already knitting little 12 st test blocks for some of the stitches in my block that I am not real familiar with.

I hope you get to sleep in tomorrow morning. Cold tonight... 5-degrees and headed downward. Stay warm.

Bobbi

quote:

I just called my LYS in Waterford and asked Marge, the owner, to send me some yarn! OI ordered one bag (10 balls) of Plymouth Encore in the snow white, not the stark white. I'm starting over! I decided that the hand wash Cascade 220 was not a good choice, in the long run. My DS will be the recipient of the afghan, after I am gone, and I just know he would throw it in the washing machine! I'm not going to proceed with the square I'm currently working on. I'll start it over when the new yarn gets here. I would have gone up there but the wind is playing havoc with driving, north of here.

It is 8 1/2 degrees here now. When it snows the tiny flecks of snow are dry, as far as I can tell. I not about to even stick my nose out the door to find out!

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  7:57:00 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AZ, You're very welcome. It's a sweet little shop...hope you get the book!! :)

Bobbi

quote:

Thanks, Bobbi. Just emailed them.

azblue

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:14:10 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have it, Bobbi, but postage would be too expensive. If I decide to make the blocks, I think I'll just create my own. Between all my knitting books and the internet, I think I have enough reference material. Thanks again.

azblue
Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  07:45:40 AM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry - I was really under the impression that they shipped for free, but apparently not. I would like to design one or two blocks of my own too when I have the time...I bet that will be so enjoyable! Have fun!!:)

Bobbi

quote:

They have it, Bobbi, but postage would be too expensive. If I decide to make the blocks, I think I'll just create my own. Between all my knitting books and the internet, I think I have enough reference material. Thanks again.

azblue

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  11:48:11 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost half done with the Dagmara block...it is coming out really nice, but those M1L (purl) are real killers!! Thankfully there aren't too many of them! :)

Bobbi

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2013 :  07:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I received my new yarn on Thursday (1/24) and immediately started over on the Hanna Burns square. I got 12 rows done, but that was all. Friday was kitchnering day for socks and miscellaneous things, so no hand knitting. Today will be more kitchnering which means the square will wait until tonight or tomorrow.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2013 :  10:54:53 AM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharon, So glad you are back, armed with your new supply of yarn and block already back in progress on needles. Have missed you. I am still around the half way point on Dagmara's "Latvian Moon Cross" block and don't expect to have it finished for another 5 days or so as I am also doing an early spring cleaning here in my study.

Bobbi

quote:

I received my new yarn on Thursday (1/24) and immediately started over on the Hanna Burns square. I got 12 rows done, but that was all. Friday was kitchnering day for socks and miscellaneous things, so no hand knitting. Today will be more kitchnering which means the square will wait until tonight or tomorrow.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2013 :  10:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, yes, I've been around. Kitchnered socks Friday, no hand knitting. Today I kitchnered more socks and knitted rows 13 - 28 on my square. Almost 1/2 way now, but my energy/drive just quit on me! I still have 5 more socks to kitchner, so that will be something I work on again tomorrow, along with the square.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2013 :  11:22:51 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a little past the halfway point on the Dagmara square...it's coming out nice. You must be a real pro at kitchnering toes of socks! No matter how many socks I knit, I always have to get out a book when I'm ready to kitchner!! lol

quote:

Hi, yes, I've been around. Kitchnered socks Friday, no hand knitting. Today I kitchnered more socks and knitted rows 13 - 28 on my square. Almost 1/2 way now, but my energy/drive just quit on me! I still have 5 more socks to kitchner, so that will be something I work on again tomorrow, along with the square.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  3:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who says I don't use a cheat sheet to start my kitchner session! LOL

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?