Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 The Great American Aran Afghan...anyone??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  9:15:44 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm usually happily knitting socks - just something about a beautifully turned heel and perfect gusset that I love....and I've never felt the need for mutual knitting support before and until this afghan. Some of the blocks look so challenging that I don't know if I can do this all alone...or maybe it's something about misery liking company, LOL. If no takers, I think I'll spend my winter knitting time making slipper socks instead, the old-fashioned kind with the leather or suede soles. Love these and could use another couple of pair anyway.. :))

Bobbi

"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  10:17:45 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This does look like fun. I looked up "Great AMerican Afghan" on Ravelry and there's so much to look at. Look's like there are several types of Great American Afghan, too. I'm going to spend some time this morning perusing, with my coffee in hand. What a nice morning!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  1:09:30 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Robinsteph,

Yes, a few different types - the one I am making is TGAAran Afghan. I only have between a half hour and hour to knit each evening, so I will only be shooting for one block a month. I know my first block is really time intensive, and I have to block off around the row I am working on so my eyes aren't always all over the pattern page. No mindless knitting with this project - which can be a good thing or bad, depending on how you want to look at it. Really need to pay attention to the row you are working on because knitting backwards is never a fun thing to do and especially when it's multiple cables and P3tog's, etc., that's involved. This afghan is an ambitious project, and I wouldn't even attempt it if I hadn't been a knitter most of my life. :)

Bobbi

quote:
Originally posted by robinstephanie

This does look like fun. I looked up "Great AMerican Afghan" on Ravelry and there's so much to look at. Look's like there are several types of Great American Afghan, too. I'm going to spend some time this morning perusing, with my coffee in hand. What a nice morning!

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  2:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, Bobbi. I have a couple of hanks of Cascade 220 Peruvian Highland Wool in white that would work and I have the pattern booklet! This is just the incentive I need to start, and hopefully finish, this afghan.

Do you plan on starting with the first pattern listed, by Judy Sumner?

When do you want to start?

You realize that your (our) sock production will really drop! I plan on this project being my take-along and just sit project. I still will have to have time to knit socks!

Sharon

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  3:44:20 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon!

I already started...BUT, I'm only up to row 17 on my FIRST block! I started with the block on page 46 by Ada Fenick.

It actually would be good to start with the same block if you are willing since, if we run into any trouble with the pattern, we'll be able to consult with each other and help each other trouble-shoot.

Let me know when you get started! Am SOOOOO HAPPY to have a couple of knitting buddies here re this project!!! :))

Bobbi

quote:
Originally posted by Shalee

OK, Bobbi. I have a couple of hanks of Cascade 220 Peruvian Highland Wool in white that would work and I have the pattern booklet! This is just the incentive I need to start, and hopefully finish, this afghan.

Do you plan on starting with the first pattern listed, by Judy Sumner?

When do you want to start?

You realize that your (our) sock production will really drop! I plan on this project being my take-along and just sit project. I still will have to have time to knit socks!

Sharon

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  11:37:01 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So glad you two have found one another. Happy knitting and remember to keep us in the loop.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  12:32:29 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's so great! I hope we get to hear about it from time to time.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  5:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came across another gal, on Ravelry, that wants to join in! Her name is Lori. Her yarn is on order, so it will be awhile before she can start.

I got up through line 13 today, at our yarn club get together. Now my thumb is sore, so I'm going to take it slow. I don't want the surgery again, for a swollen tendon! Guess I'll slide over to the CSM and crank out a sock!

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  8:52:31 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon,

Wow, great!! :) What block did you start with - is it the same one I am working on?

Bobbi

quote:

I came across another gal, on Ravelry, that wants to join in! Her name is Lori. Her yarn is on order, so it will be awhile before she can start.

I got up through line 13 today, at our yarn club get together. Now my thumb is sore, so I'm going to take it slow. I don't want the surgery again, for a swollen tendon! Guess I'll slide over to the CSM and crank out a sock!

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  8:56:27 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grandmoogi and Robinsteph,

Thanks and will do!! Wow, Sharon is already up to row 13...she is going to blast right past me, I am sure! Going to go work on it right now for a while so I have a bit of progress to report. Right now I am only up to the bottom of the tree and need to make some progress!

Bobbi

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2013 :  7:54:51 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished the first block a few days ago and just blocked it this evening...I did the tree block first. Now I am working on the circularly knit block by Georgia Vincent. After I knit three blocks, I'll have to move along to another (non-knit) project and will pick up with the blocks again next fall or winter.

quote:
Originally posted by BobbiSocks

Grandmoogi and Robinsteph,

Thanks and will do!! Wow, Sharon is already up to row 13...she is going to blast right past me, I am sure! Going to go work on it right now for a while so I have a bit of progress to report. Right now I am only up to the bottom of the tree and need to make some progress!

Bobbi

Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  12:13:15 PM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started the afghan about a year ago and have made 8 blocks. I've been consumed by other projects but do want to get back to it. I'm using Plymouth Encore in a cream/light tan - a little darker than what is suggested so it won't show the dirt as much. It takes almost a full skein to make one block and I'm not using the extra yarn. That way there are no ends on the blocks other than the beginning and the end.

A friend of mine finished it last summer but still hasn't sewn the blocks together. She had a very good suggestion -- she knit several of her blocks in just a seed stitch. I think she did it partly to get it done but she said it makes the blocks with patterns pop more. I may just do that.

Here's a website with some helpful hints: http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cinnaminn_s/gaaa1.html

One of the most helpful things on the site is a spreadsheet you can download to keep track of your blocks. It also tells you the difficulty of each block, how many popcorns, and other info that I can think of right now.

I'll check back and let you know if I've made any other blocks. Have fun - I think its a gorgeous afghan.

Pam in the Colorado mountains
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  6:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm back. Between the afghan, socks and buying yarn on line I've been busy! LOL

The first block is done, but I haven't blocked it yet. Started my 2nd square and finally am getting the rhythm of the pattern. As Bobbi said, the first block was the "tree" by Ada Fenick, on pages 46 and 47. Once I got used to the graph I really flew on this square. My 2nd square is the one by Hanna Burns on pages 32 and 33. I really like the spiral genome representation. I'm getting better at following the patterns on this one. I'm not used to cables moving on the wrong side, so that frustrated me at first. I really should have enlarged pattern B, but now I'm use to it. The pattern by Geogia Vincent, that Bobbi is doing, is done in the round and sure is beautiful, that might be my 3rd square. That graph really looks easy.

I was looking at some of the other American Afghans and saw the Great North American Afghan that was done by a Ravelry member named Runsmoothe from Bethesda, MD. I just loved the blues she used on her afghan. So, of course, I had to order that booklet! I might incorporate some of the GNAA squares in my GAAA.

Lucybug, I liked your excel sheet for a record sheet on your GAAA.

Now back to my knitting.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  8:36:44 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pam,

What an abundance of helpful info I found when I went to take a look at your spreadsheet...wow!!

I'm going to be framing my blocks, and if I ever decide to turn them into an afghan, there they all still are! Narrow black frames in an almost all white room...I think they'll be absolutely and heart-stoppingly stunning displayed thus.

I've been knitting, but I really should look around these forums more as it seems there's a wealth of information to wander through!!

Bobbi

quote:
Originally posted by lucybug

I started the afghan about a year ago and have made 8 blocks. I've been consumed by other projects but do want to get back to it. I'm using Plymouth Encore in a cream/light tan - a little darker than what is suggested so it won't show the dirt as much. It takes almost a full skein to make one block and I'm not using the extra yarn. That way there are no ends on the blocks other than the beginning and the end.

A friend of mine finished it last summer but still hasn't sewn the blocks together. She had a very good suggestion -- she knit several of her blocks in just a seed stitch. I think she did it partly to get it done but she said it makes the blocks with patterns pop more. I may just do that.

Here's a website with some helpful hints: http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cinnaminn_s/gaaa1.html

One of the most helpful things on the site is a spreadsheet you can download to keep track of your blocks. It also tells you the difficulty of each block, how many popcorns, and other info that I can think of right now.

I'll check back and let you know if I've made any other blocks. Have fun - I think its a gorgeous afghan.

Pam in the Colorado mountains

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  8:49:18 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharon,

I've blocked the first Tree of Life block and it looks wonderful! Did you see the unblocked pic on my FB page?

Tonight I'm on row 20 of the Georgia Vincent block...I just love how speed is picked up on this block the closer you get to the center! Okay, I haven't finished the block yet, and knock on wood, but I have found nothing particularly hard about this block at all. (Okay, now that I said that, just watch me run into a bunch of trouble when I reach the center, LOL!) This block knits up nicely square right from the get-go, and sooooooo beautiful. I can't imagine going to bed tonight until I have it finished. I am thinking about doing the Latvian cross block next: page 48.

Bobbi

quote:

I'm back. Between the afghan, socks and buying yarn on line I've been busy! LOL

The first block is done, but I haven't blocked it yet. Started my 2nd square and finally am getting the rhythm of the pattern. As Bobbi said, the first block was the "tree" by Ada Fenick, on pages 46 and 47. Once I got used to the graph I really flew on this square. My 2nd square is the one by Hanna Burns on pages 32 and 33. I really like the spiral genome representation. I'm getting better at following the patterns on this one. I'm not used to cables moving on the wrong side, so that frustrated me at first. I really should have enlarged pattern B, but now I'm use to it. The pattern by Geogia Vincent, that Bobbi is doing, is done in the round and sure is beautiful, that might be my 3rd square. That graph really looks easy.

I was looking at some of the other American Afghans and saw the Great North American Afghan that was done by a Ravelry member named Runsmoothe from Bethesda, MD. I just loved the blues she used on her afghan. So, of course, I had to order that booklet! I might incorporate some of the GNAA squares in my GAAA.

Lucybug, I liked your excel sheet for a record sheet on your GAAA.

Now back to my knitting.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  10:58:54 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm hung up, LOL! :) Not really a biggie, but can anyone who has already made the Georgia Vincent block tell me what DEC 2 they used here for the rows beginning with row 26?

Thanks!!
Bobbi

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  11:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went into Ravelry and did a pattern search on: Georgia Vincent GAAA The result was I could pull up her square and then change the view, of her square, to 400%. The resulting stitch, you are questioning looks like she has done a ssk on the 1st two stitches, then transfered that stitch back to the LH needle and slipped the un-knit 3rd stitch over the resulting ssk stitch. Then just move that stitch to the RH needle. That does duplicate the way the stitches sit when the decrease is done. When you look at the wrong side of the knitting you see the center stitch goes straight up. On the right side both of your side stitches lean toward the center, with the left stitch on top. That is what she wanted, not the center stitch going up like a stem on the right side, which you would get if you did a double central decrease. Hope this helps.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  9:56:54 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharon,

I still don't know how to navigate around Ravelry , but I wish I had found this post sooner today! Left on my own - or so I thought, I did slip 2 tog, k1, pass the 2 sl sts over for the DEC2. It looks pretty good, and I'm just about finished with the block, so I'm going to leave it be. I would like to knit this block again, next time using a smaller size needle rather than the size 8 the pattern calls for...I think maybe a size 6. Also my next time I will do those wrap sts a little tighter than I originally did, and I might even do 5 wraps instead of 4.

Thank you for finding this in Ravelry! Is there any way you can direct me to where you found this info on the block...I don't know how to find it. For instance, what is GAAA? Maybe you could post (or pm or email) a link?

Have you started the Georgia Vincent block yet?

quote:

I went into Ravelry and did a pattern search on: Georgia Vincent GAAA The result was I could pull up her square and then change the view, of her square, to 400%. The resulting stitch, you are questioning looks like she has done a ssk on the 1st two stitches, then transfered that stitch back to the LH needle and slipped the un-knit 3rd stitch over the resulting ssk stitch. Then just move that stitch to the RH needle. That does duplicate the way the stitches sit when the decrease is done. When you look at the wrong side of the knitting you see the center stitch goes straight up. On the right side both of your side stitches lean toward the center, with the left stitch on top. That is what she wanted, not the center stitch going up like a stem on the right side, which you would get if you did a double central decrease. Hope this helps.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  11:10:10 PM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well good grief, the DEC 2 is right there in the book, LOL... Sl 1 knitwise, k1, psso, sl st from RH needle to LH needle, pass 2nd st on LH needle over first, sl st to RH needle.

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  05:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, GAAA means Great American Aran Afghan. Still working on the Georgia Burns. I keep getting my cable directions mixed up. I've been so tired I haven't been able to think straight! Finally got a good nights sleep Tuesday night and that helped. I'm only up through row 25, but at least it is all correct now. I put a life line in last night so I'd know it was good to that point. Got 5 hours of good sleep last night (Wednsday night), and have to go be at the hospital at 8:00 am for a cat scan this morning. I am NOT a morning person! I'm lucky to be able to get to bed before 2:00 am. Then I toss and turn.

I felt so great yesterday I actually got a pair socks done on my CSM and one tube sock plus all but the toe on the 2nd tube sock! Today I plan on buying more of the tube sock yarn. It is Bernat's Baby Softee and soooo soft! After I get home I'm going to finish the toe and kitchner the tube socks closed; that pair is a gift. I want a pair for myself, that is why I'm buying another ball of that yarn! CSM = circular sock machine. I went to a Christmas Day dinner and all 6 of the other people there asked for socks! I have one pair to go, then I need to kitchner all those toes closed; then I can wash and block them so I can deliver them! Cards tonight, so I'll probably take the tube socks with me to kitchner while I just sit, if I am the 1st one out!

Sharon in NW PA

EDITED TO ADD: The doctor's office forgot to give me the contrast stuff to drink! Rescheduled for 10:00 tomorrow! Oh well, at least I'm up and ready to knit!

Go to Top of Page

BobbiSocks
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  08:59:13 AM  Show Profile Send BobbiSocks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharon,

At least you have a more reasonable 10am time for tomorrow! I avoid early morning appointments with a passion. Have you tried a bedtime routine such as a warm bath, sipping Sleepytime tea, The Healing Garden ZZZtherapy mist called Sleep Well? If all else fails with me and I must be up at some ungodly hour, I have a prescription for sonata 10mg - very gentle and not habit forming, and this will do the trick. I also read in bed, right now I am reading Mapping Human History by Steve Olson, and while it is very interesting, trying to follow all his talk about mitochrondrial DNA is usually enough to put me out, LOL :)

I finished up the Georgia Vincent block last night and am going to do this block again while all is fresh in my mind and do correct DEC 2 this time around. Funny that I hunted and hunted for that, and yet did not find...and right there in front of me! :)

GAAA - okay, makes perfect sense - thank you! :)

Well I hope all works out well tomorrow!!! Every good wish to you!!

quote:

First, GAAA means Great American Aran Afghan. Still working on the Georgia Burns. I keep getting my cable directions mixed up. I've been so tired I haven't been able to think straight! Finally got a good nights sleep Tuesday night and that helped. I'm only up through row 25, but at least it is all correct now. I put a life line in last night so I'd know it was good to that point. Got 5 hours of good sleep last night (Wednsday night), and have to go be at the hospital at 8:00 am for a cat scan this morning. I am NOT a morning person! I'm lucky to be able to get to bed before 2:00 am. Then I toss and turn.

I felt so great yesterday I actually got a pair socks done on my CSM and one tube sock plus all but the toe on the 2nd tube sock! Today I plan on buying more of the tube sock yarn. It is Bernat's Baby Softee and soooo soft! After I get home I'm going to finish the toe and kitchner the tube socks closed; that pair is a gift. I want a pair for myself, that is why I'm buying another ball of that yarn! CSM = circular sock machine. I went to a Christmas Day dinner and all 6 of the other people there asked for socks! I have one pair to go, then I need to kitchner all those toes closed; then I can wash and block them so I can deliver them! Cards tonight, so I'll probably take the tube socks with me to kitchner while I just sit, if I am the 1st one out!

Sharon in NW PA

EDITED TO ADD: The doctor's office forgot to give me the contrast stuff to drink! Rescheduled for 10:00 tomorrow! Oh well, at least I'm up and ready to knit!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.