Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Almost finished but will have to frog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  07:38:22 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am knitting something for my daughter for her birthday which is today,
I cast off but there were a couple of threads sticking up on top of the cast off row. I thought they were spliced so instead of just stitching them in I thought I would do the right thing and tink the last 20 stitches and fix the splice.
The yarn is dreadful. It is so limp that it falls apart. So far the hole has gone down three inches and is about 6 inches wide. Every time I try to pick up a stitch, others just fall undone. Not only that, it is not a clean undone. Little fibres get caught everywhere, my hands are rough and the fibres are getting caught on them, the needles constantly fall out of the yarn and clang on the floor. I gave up using a circular because the yarn kept getting caught on the joins.
I will try to pick up stitches and redo the collar but it may seriously have to be completely frogged because picking up stitches is almost a total impossibility. Sad about her birthday pressie.

I knit a hug into every stitch

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  08:47:31 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry. What yarn is it?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  5:37:53 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a shame. all that work....
judy
Go to Top of Page

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  9:10:34 PM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grand-moogi, I am so sorry. Isn't there any other way to finish it?
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  9:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My heart aches for you. That's a sad reason to frog.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Relliurad
New Pal

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  05:49:29 AM  Show Profile Send Relliurad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's all good! We managed to pick up the stitches and Moogi is knitting away again.
I am so amazed that she managed to do this without me realising she was knitting something for me. SHe's a sneaky one! But she has done an amazing job and it's all so beautiful. I can't wait to wear it.

Daughter of the infamous Grand-Moogi
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  7:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW!!!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  04:42:16 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  09:51:13 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hooray! Yes, with the nickname Moogi I suspected she had some sneaky/resourceful characteristics. Glad you two were able to pull this out of the fire!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  12:53:53 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I so wanted to give it to her for her birthday but I really needed her help. Part of it is eyesight. Seeing the little wisps of yarn, even with glasses was becoming difficult. I knew I could not do it without help and she is the one who is the best helper so I ended up showing her on the morning of her birthday. She thought it was beautiful and was very sympathetic. She managed to pick up a whole line about six inches down from the cast off and I am now knitting again. The stitch count is a bit off but there are so many increases and decreases in the shaping that I would be amazed if I had got it all right. I am going to have to fudge it but it will never be noticeable because of the yarn which is Moda Vera Lucente 87% nylon and 13% polyester. The thing I am knitting is the shrug from Knitting Plus by Lisa Shroyer.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  10:05:22 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, yeah, that shrug does have some intense shaping.

I looked up the book on Ravelry, it has some really pretty patterns. I like the Passyunk and the the Haviland. Thanks for sharing the name, and good luck finishing up!! I hope we hear when you successfully bind off.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  7:37:13 PM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats Grand-moogi, I hoped you would find a way!
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  3:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have given up :)! Grand-moogi, you deserve that name indeed!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe