Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Knitting with 100% cotton
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  11:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am well aware that the fabric alone will produce stretch, and no memory to spring back. I'm prepared for that, but here are some other questions:

How much draw-in does ribbing (k2p2 and/or k1p1) give over stockinette stitch?

Would seed stitch be a better hipband and plackets choice on a cardigan?

If seed-st plackets, would it be better to knit them on separately? Or will it work out to include them in the body knitting?

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  3:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Each yarn is different you would have to swatch to get the answers you want I think. I know it's not the answer you are looking for but it's the truth, sorry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page

Janettoo
Warming Up

59 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  9:19:45 PM  Show Profile Send Janettoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard of people knitting ribbing on cotton with twisted stitches.

It all depends on the effect you want.

Janet in TN
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  8:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently swatched the yarn, being sure to wash it, too, and it came out to gauge. There is SOME vertical stretch, so I will likely shorten in that direction to make sure the completed project doesn't sag on the wearer.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Gibson Girl
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  11:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gibson Girl's Homepage Send Gibson Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit a LOT in cotton living in Arizona. I prefer seed stitch for banding because I simply don't like the "cupping" that ribbing does. I like a knitted garment to hang straight. I will say that ribbing will not be as tight as it is with wool. Jaymeknits is right..............swatch.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  12:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm doing seed stitch. Somehow it seems better for the edge than ribbing. Haven't had time to work on the project, though. Practicing for concerts.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe