Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Hooray, it's finished!
 Knitting my stash!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  4:02:39 PM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My goal is to at least make a dent in my stash and UFOs. I finally finished a slip-stitch afghan in between knitting 10 pink hats for a snowshoe walk for breast cancer. I also made a Broncos sweater for my husband -- using an old logo -- then decided I wanted a sweater for myself with the new logo. I dug into my stash and figured out how to make a graph of the logo and using an old pattern for a plain sweater made that one too (I have about an inch left of the turtleneck collar.) My other stash project is a cardigan - the boyfriend sweater from Interweave -- I think it was the fall issue this year. I had the yarn and another pattern in a tub and realized it has been there so long that the sweater is out of date. I only have one sleeve and button band to go. I plan on knitting at least 2 other sweaters from my stash before looking for something new, but we'll see. I need to keep my LYS in business, right?

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  5:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, you have been busy!

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2012 :  6:49:14 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good girl. I have nothing much on the needles at present except for bed socks for this book I am writing. I am using up stash for those.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2012 :  10:19:46 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lucy, you are an inspiration! I am going to knit down my stash this winter...I have a LOT of singles and two-skeins. Since October 1st of this year, I have completed 14 hats, 10 dishcloths and five scarves. I have 3 more hats near completion. It sounds like quite a lot, but I keep finding more yarn. I could make over 100 dishcloths with the cotton I have on hand, and God only knows how many hats. I have so many WIPs that many of them I'm just frogging and starting over. The yarn has a better chance of being knit up if I just rewind and start over.

I keep thinking of the term someone here used: SABLE - stash accumulated beyond life expectancy. It gives me pause, and is an incentive to use my stash.

(Do not think for a minute that I am so strong that I'm not still buying. The LYS is important, and must be patronized...just at a much slower rate than I'm knitting!)

Jan
Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2012 :  10:49:35 AM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True confessions - my LYS has moved and they had a grand-reopening this weekend. I had 2 skeins leftover from my Bronco sweater so I traded it in -- and bought 6 additional skeins for a new project. I'll never see the bottom of my stash at this rate.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  04:00:12 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will certainly never see the end of my stash either. However, my stash comprises my mother's (who died in October 1978), mine and my daughter's. I think the "end of the stash" will be my daughter's problem.

Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  09:09:49 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2011, I set a goal to knit ten miles of yarn from my stash. And I did it! Although it was a lot more than I thought it would be!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  10:11:51 AM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I've never thought of yarn in terms of miles. Scary thought - but congratulations!
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2012 :  11:29:40 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep saying I'm not going to buy any yarn until I put a dent in my stash. It hasn't work for me. I gave a lot to my niece who now knits. Only it was a good reason to buy new on sale. Congratulation! I wish it was me. Donna
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2012 :  8:09:24 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the last 2 yrs I have been knitting out of stash and
I am getting to the point I might need to go to the lys.
What I have left is a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I am pleased with my self.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  03:11:51 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditzy Girl, you are truly amazing. You deserve to be pleased with yourself.

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  08:52:55 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Grand-moogi , right back attcha! Have a great
day. I am almost finished with my last red sparkle hat
that I am knitting for a friend. I wore mine yesterday
for Thanksgiving.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  09:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aargh!#%&** I am so envious!! I keep telling myself that I will buy no more yarn until I use up half my stash, but I can't seem to do it. I'm knitting and knitting, and the stash still grows and now my inbox is full of Cyber Monday sale notices ...

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  7:34:10 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe, we could teach knitting, and provide all the yarn for the students! Of course, I would have to choose what yarn I would give up. They could all make scarves, and then I'd teach them dishcloths and they could make MANY.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  8:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's great to use the stash, isn't it? Of course, my LYS is a little unhappy that I'm not buying anything.....

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  8:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was doing really good, using up all my sock yarn. Then I bought a CSM (circular sock machine). My local yarn store, where we have a group that meets twice a month, loves me! I've had to increase my yarn budget for 2013! I must admit, though, that I still have a lot of other heavier weight yarn in my huge stash. As a result I've got the hand knitting I can rely on for my take-along projects. I can't stand to have idle hands.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  07:32:06 AM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an update on my stash knitting....not so good. I did however finally finish a sweater I've been working on since last fall. It's a Morehouse Farms pattern -- a cowl neck in a double-moss stitch. The stitch makes a beautiful fabric but I used some gray yarn I bought from a friend as kind of a favor. It's very nice yarn -- Brown Sheep -- but I'm not crazy about the color. Wish I had this same sweater in a pale pink or other pastel. It was my knitting-in-the-car project even after it got a bit unwieldy because I wanted to finish it. Just have to weave in the ends tonight.

However, in the mean time I've done quite a bit of shopping so I am back in the way too much stash category. We went out of town this weekend and I found a great store and bought some yarn for an Aran sweater. Almost bought it in a teal then realized I have yarn in a similar color for another Aran pattern at home so bought plum instead. I think I'll start the teal sweater next. Also have some lovely yarn and a pattern for a sweater for my husband that I can't wait to knit. And that's just the tip of the stash that I can see!!

Pam in the Colorado mountains
Go to Top of Page

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  7:39:54 PM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lucybug, thanks for the update. I am also trying to knit from stash as my husband retired earlier this year. BUT, our daughter had a new baby and we were out of the country, so of course, I had to buy new yarn. Also, my cousin is coming for a visit soon and we always go yarn shopping. Stash knitting is sooooo hard. I'll keep trying, but I can't make any promises I can't keep.
Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  1:06:50 PM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's so hard for me to not buy yarn! I went into my LYS not too long ago for needles and told the owner NO YARN! So what did she do, she led me around the shop showing me all the new yarns!! Rat! I did resist that time but have quite a bit since.

Pam in the Colorado mountains
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?