Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Front longer than back...help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  10:08:50 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on a size 2 sweater for my grandson...bottom up in pieces. The front has a motif and ended up being about 2 inches longer than the back which was solid. The width matches but the front is about 2 inches longer. I'm using Woolease (has to be machine washable/dryable) but I used some heather in the motif which I'm sure is what caused the difference in length (but would have thought it would have affected the width, too). I used a provisional cast on for both front and back so I'd be able to add length if needed. Should I just add some more rows to the back until it matches the length of the front? I'm at the point where I'm working on the armholes and both front and back are worked in plain yarn up to the neck (ended with the motif a couple rows back). I haven't blocked it yet but can't imagine I can make up 2 inches. Should have used two heathers or two regular colors but I didn't. If all else fails, can start over...thank goodness it's a small sweater! Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  1:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IF I'm picturing this right, for a toddler, I'd probably just make the back longer. Could you add a 2-inch wide solid stripe across the back in the same color and area as the design in the front, or would that look good?

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  3:43:48 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gaaahhhhh....I posted just before we took off this morning (before actually counting the rows on the knitted pieces). Just got home and counted and must not have added the extra rows to the bottom back like I did to the front. Red-faced but feeling a whole lot better about it. Next time I'll double check before posting! Thanks, Donna.

azblue
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1803 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  7:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My answer would be to knit the body in one piece to eliminate this issue. A phony seam afterwards would do a good job of stabilizing the fabric. But you've knitted this already. Aaaaargh! Just tuck that idea away for next time.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  03:48:52 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Azblue, Glad you solved the mystery. Well it is easy enough to add a couple of inches knitting downwards. No need to pull anything undone except for the basque although you could graft it on if you really do not want to reknit it.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  07:27:07 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I could have knit it in the round, believe me, I would have. But it has an elephant on the front and it was easier working the colors back and forth on straight knit. I am going to pick up stitches and work the sleeves in the round, though, because I don't like a seam around the armholes. The sweater is turning out cuter than the dickens but it's probably going to be entirely too big for him. Better that than too little, though. Maybe his big sister can break it in for him.

azblue
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  08:30:47 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is why I knit the back and front at the same time, also both sleeves at same time. Does not have to be in the round. Cast on front then cast on back using a diff ball of yarn and start knitting. That way they are always same length. Good luck with
the fix.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.