Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Provisional Cast On
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

corig
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  12:43:57 PM  Show Profile Send corig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was is such a hurry to start an adorable baby hoodie, that I missed the instruction for casting on a provisional cast on! I'm over half way done with it -- do I pull it apart? Pick up the stitches from the right side, hood, left side then just pick up the bottom stitches? Help!

Cori

Janettoo
Warming Up

65 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  7:56:53 PM  Show Profile Send Janettoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You get to do whatever you want!

If you are using a relatively thin yarn, picking up stitches from your cast-on won't make an uncomfortable ridge. You could turn this into a "design feature" by doing your pick-up so that the cast-on line is on the outside. Overcast it with contrasting yarn! Go wild! If you are using a thicker yarn, you might want to unpick your cast-on.

Janet in TN
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  05:48:09 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say pick up and leave the cast on for anything thinner than worsted. Worsted and thicker I'd try to unpick the cast on, I hope you aren't using a bulky mohair yarn ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by