Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Left-handed knitting
 Some hints
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2012 :  6:35:51 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last night at knitting group there were some ladies sitting near us and we included them in the knattering part of the knit and knatter session. One lady said she is right handed and her daughter who is left handed wants to learn to knit. They were talking about ways to teach her. None of us thought of the internet (doh!) but I suggested sitting down in front of a mirror and letting the daughter watch her in the mirror. What do the "lefties" here think? Would that work? I notice someone did mention it in a post in this section but only very briefly.
I ended up reading all the posts in this section. About 40 + years ago, a lefty told me how she follows patterns written for right handed knitters but no-one seems to have mentioned this method. She said she just knits where it says purl and purls where it says knit and everything comes out inside out which is very easily fixed. Would this work?

I knit a hug into every stitch

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  06:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a lefty who has taught several righties to knit. No need to use a mirror, the lady can simply sit facing her daughter and have her copy her actions as if she *were* a mirror! Works great for teacher and for student. My MIL taught me to knit. She was a lefty but knit right handed, and that's the method she used as well.

I knit patterns as written, and they turn out fine - using a chart I just start at the bottom left instead of bottom right. I suppose you could knit the purls and purl the knits but I think that would make a lot of extra work.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

auntlinda
Chatty Knitter

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  2:51:40 PM  Show Profile Send auntlinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mom is left handed and she knits continental - the same way I do and I'm right handed. I don't think continental is as handedness-specific as other methods.

~Linda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?