Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Blocking Tiles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kak
New Pal

Ireland
15 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2012 :  3:39:58 PM  Show Profile Send Kak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for bringing this up again but I've been away from the site for a while and missed the blocking Board dicussion so hope someone out there can helpme with following query
I was thinking of ordering the Blocking Tiles advertised on this site, anyone used them ??

Kak

Kak

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  07:33:51 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you be more specific about which tiles you are talking about? I'd guess many of us don't know offhand which tiles are advertised here, and there may be more than one.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Kak
New Pal

Ireland
15 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  1:15:03 PM  Show Profile Send Kak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.knittersreview.com/goto.asp?goto=kblock Hope you will be able to view it on this site, Thanks robinstephanie

Kak
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  08:30:34 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the link. I haven't used these mats, although I remember reading Clara's review and being intrigued.

quote:
Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  09:59:10 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got mine from this company: http://www.softtiles.com/
Service was excellent and I'm very happy with them. Buy as many or as few as you think you need. I had cheaper ones from Toys 'R Us, and these are much better. The 5/8" thickness is good. I ordered a box of 25, and if anything, I'd order more.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Kak
New Pal

Ireland
15 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  3:17:19 PM  Show Profile Send Kak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks I think I'll go for them I'll wait for Knit & Stitch Show on in Dublin next weeksend it would save postage if some stand had them. Thanks for your help.

Kak
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  06:29:30 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm intrigued by these too. I'd really like something new to block on--I've been doing it on my cardboard sewing board and it doesn't work very well. The board is always trying to accordion closed. Thank you, Anderknit and Kak.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  12:29:29 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These look very similar to the ones I picked up at Target on sale. They were in the sporting goods section - I think they were intended to be used under exercise equipment to protect floors but they work beautifully for blocking.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

Kak
New Pal

Ireland
15 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  04:25:05 AM  Show Profile Send Kak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help no Blocking Boardsat Knit & Stitch I've decided to go for the Nursary Tiles they will work out cheaper only thing is they will have no grid lines so i'll have to think of way around that

happy knitting

Kak
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  2:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For gridlines, go to a fabric store and find a piece of gingham fabric with 1" x 1" squares; get a couple yards of it cut. Lay it on the mat underneath what you are pinning down. Instant grid lines. ;)

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

mjhknits
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  08:25:47 AM  Show Profile Send mjhknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a cardboard folding board meant for cutting out fabric. I cover it with a large sheet of clear plastic that I got cut to the right size at a fabric store. The board doesn't try to fold up, the plastic keeps it from warping due to the wet yarn lying on it, and the gridlines are very useful. mjhknits
Go to Top of Page

ibcreative
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  10:56:12 AM  Show Profile Send ibcreative a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anderknit

Service was excellent and I'm very happy with them. Buy as many or as few as you think you need. I had cheaper ones from Toys 'R Us, and these are much better. The 5/8" thickness is good. I ordered a box of 25, and if anything, I'd order more.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "

Go to Top of Page

ibcreative
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  11:02:00 AM  Show Profile Send ibcreative a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ooops - I forgot how to post. Question - which size tiles did you purchase - the 2x2 or 1x1? thanks

quote:
Originally posted by anderknit

Go to Top of Page

Daylily
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  5:03:09 PM  Show Profile Send Daylily a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered my blocking tiles from Knit Picks I also bought the blocking wires too.

Daylily, another one tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

ibcreative
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  09:05:55 AM  Show Profile Send ibcreative a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Knit Pick ones look good and with free shipping it's the best price I've found. Is one set enough?
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  5:16:08 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1 x 1 seems to me easier to work with - that's what I got.

Go to Top of Page

gururamdas
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  1:39:37 PM  Show Profile Send gururamdas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From a tip on Ravelry (I think) purchased a set of 6 anti-fatigue interlocking mats, ea 2x 2 feet.
$10 at Pep Boys.
Havent opened package yet cuz the cat loves declawing on my kitchen mats. So for now, they are stored in front of the wash machine in the garage. Feel great when doing laundry!
Susie in Phx
Go to Top of Page

ClimberKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2012 :  2:01:42 PM  Show Profile Send ClimberKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a set at Lowes in the flooring department. Meant for use in kids' playrooms, I think. Then some blocking wires from KnitPicks. Everything goes neatly under the bed in the spare beadroom
Go to Top of Page

Kak
New Pal

Ireland
15 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2012 :  06:25:49 AM  Show Profile Send Kak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all you've been a great help

Kak
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.