Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Family / personal / health issues
 When you get older you get Dry skin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  12:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On my last visit to my dermatologist I mentioned to his wife/nurse that lately my skin has been very sensitive and if an edge of clothing rubbed me I would itch like crazy. She gave me a small sample tube of CeraVe moisturizing cream and told me to use it twice a day until my next visit and told me to use it anyplace on my body that itches! She told me she didn't know why it worked but that it would work for me. She was totally right! She mentioned that it is hard to find but that the pharmacy near them did stock it.

When I got home I looked at my hands and wow, they were dry and lousy looking. I immediately used just a drop or two on the backs of my hands. My hands are now looking and feeling soft as a baby's you know what! They do not have a lotion feel, no residue to get on my knitting as it all absorbed in.

I bought the applicator, by CeraVe, so I could reach the spots on my back, that have been driving me nuts! (Previously I had been eyeing my back scrubber as an applicator for regular lotion but felt I'd be wasting a lot of lotion, using that.) The applicatator was not inexpensive, 24.50, but worth every penny. Because the little tube wouldn't be enough I bought the 16 oz jar for 16.99 at the pharmacy. So, yes I spent 41.49, but it has been the best purchase I've made in ages! I can get at the spots on my back, that used to itch!

All my life I have worked with paper, fabric and yarn. All of which would dry out my skin. Finally I don't have a dry skin problem.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  02:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's true that older skin feels dry. It gets thinner, and that might make the dryness feel even worse. I'm glad you've found help with the Cerave, it gets constant raves on the MakeUpAlley.com bulletin boards.

As for me, older skin has brought eczema. Whine, whine, whine! The doctor says to avoid very hot showers and wool. WOOL?

susi

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  09:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some years ago I knitted a sweater using Beaverslide dry goods wool and my hands were truly pampered. Their wool contains still quite some lanolin and that made my hands super-soft. That was my first experience with wool still containing a bit of lanolin, it is worth a project with that kind of wool every now and then to keep hands supple.....

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2395 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  12:35:49 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw your post, Shalee, and picked up a jar of the CeraVe cream...it's everything you said it was! I had the same lousy-looking hands but they've improved noticeably. (I even brought some in to keep at my desk at work.) Thank you for the tip!

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

397 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  2:17:30 PM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have dry skin due to autoimmune problems and tried CeraVe after reading your post. It's wonderful. Now I'm trying to find the applicator. It sounds very useful.
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

397 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  11:45:36 AM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shalee, can you give my some more information about the applicator. I have itchy spots on my back and it sounds like the perfect solution. I've tried a couple of local pharmacies, checked Amazon, and even looked at the company website. No luck. Any additional information would be very welcome. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2756 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  7:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I swear by Melaleuca's Renew lotion. It's expensive, but lasts for-ev-er!!!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2012 :  04:12:05 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up some CeraVe at Walmart, and will give it a try. I also ordered a lotion applicator from Amazon. I want to be able to put lotion on my back without asking for help!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2012 :  06:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jan, that is interesting to find out your Walmart carries it! Wow, I just went to Amazon and the applicator I got is there, and $10.00 cheaper! The Easy Reach bendable lotion applicator is the one that cost me 24.50 at the pharmacy and it is only 14.95 on Amazon!

Thank you so much for letting everyone know the lotion is available at your Walmart and the wand through Amazon!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2012 :  07:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm back with more info. I just noticed, on the Walmart page, an ad for the CeraVe at: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/cerave-moisturizing-cream-ceramides-dual-2-2-oz-cream

They show that they have the 2 oz tubes available! That is what the doctor's wife gave me. Granted, 2 of them to the box for 10.31 is a bit much, but great for travel. I am glad I found this as I wanted some to give as gifts. I'll just open the box and then I'll have 2 gifts to give!

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2395 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2012 :  07:16:51 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CeraVe is available at Target, too, for the same price as at Walmart.

azblue
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2012 :  5:39:02 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if I can get this in Oz? I will have to have a look. Who makes it and what are the ingredients? Sometimes they sell the same thing in another country but under a different name.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  12:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to my Dermatologist the company that used to make it was purchased by a new company that was really only interested in the drug portion of the business. They are making the CeraVe but not really advertising it and no longer issuing the doctors samples. I remember noticing that the ingredients are listed on line in the ad. Here is the link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/CeraVe-Moisturizing-Cream-16oz/13903362#Ingredients

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  09:43:42 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading those ingredients, I'll stick with my L'Occitane 100% Shea butter. I've been using it on my hands and feet for years now and absolutely love how they feel. My heels used to split and crack so badly when we first turned on the heat that they'd actually pop open and bleed! Shea butter and a pair of cotton socks at night and by morning they are smooth and plumped. No more bloody sheets!

The hand cream (20% shea butter) has some of the same ingredients as the CeraVe. What I love about it is that you don't become "addicted" to it. That is: you can use it just when you need it...not all the time because your hands get so dried out from using it that you *have* to use it. I've had several hand lotions cause that problem for me!
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2395 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  12:41:28 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you go to the CeraVe website, you can download a coupon for $1 off. I think it's good until the end of the year. Sometime ago, I had read that for dry skin you should look for cream/lotion containing hyaluronic acid (HA). Maybe that's one of the reasons CeraVe works so well. I guess HA is found naturally in skin tissue and it helps skin stay "young and healthy" because it provides "continuous moisture to the skin by binding up to 1000 times its weight in water". Evidently as we age, our bodies don't produce as much of it. I'll slather on anything that helps get rid of the cross-hatch design on the back of my hands.

Now, has anyone found something for the hanging, wrinkly skin that appears when you raise your arms above your head? Sometimes I raise em just cause it's fascinating to watch the loose skin appear like magic! (I live a very dull life).

azblue
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  3:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh azblue, that is so funny because my arms and hands will get like that. Loads of wrinkles. I've finally figured out, with mine, it is dehydration. Yup. So I can tell when I haven't been drinking enough water. Now, as to the "wings" I have in my upper arms, I haven't figured out how to get rid of them!

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2756 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  4:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duct tape.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2395 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  07:21:38 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was never much of a drinker (water, that is) until we moved to AZ. Now I always have a bottle w/me. I can tell that I need to increase my intake when I see the skin under my eyes start to get wrinkly. It's amazing.

I've heard of tape behind the ears to draw up the skin on the face, purlthis, but never thought of duct tape for the arms. It comes in different colors so could even coordinate with our outfits and neon would protect us in the dark. I think you're on to something, purlthis.

azblue
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  08:18:35 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just gave my DH a quick run down on this topic and read out Purlthis's answer. He is sitting there chuckling away.
It would take quite a lot of duct tape for me.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Warokz
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  11:46:36 PM  Show Profile Send Warokz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by azblueskies

CeraVe is available at Target, too, for the same price as at Walmart.

So, I did not find it at Target, I have to check again
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2395 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  08:00:00 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I found it at one Target but not another one, Warokz. I really had to search for it as I recall. I don't think it was where I thought it would be. Walmart had it, too, though.

azblue
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth