Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 What type of yarn to use??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AdkKate
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  5:31:41 PM  Show Profile Send AdkKate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A dear friend who lives in Florida sent me a picture of a throw that she would like me to make for her. It is a very simple striped design with a fringe on the ends. She would like it to be soft and cuddly but not too warm. Now I am an Adirondack Mountain gal who knits for warmth. I have no idea what is the best fiber to use for a Florida throw. She is willing to buy whatever I want to use. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for you assistance :)

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  5:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I'd go acrylic. A nice one will hold up.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  5:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Organic cotton would be my choice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  6:42:16 PM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a bamboo cotton blend?
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

576 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  07:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go with a cotton/wool blend like Green Mountain Spinnery's Cotton Comfort. The wool lends the cotton some elasticity and over time, it gets as comfy as a broken-in sweatshirt without growing too much.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

LisaSanCrom
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  7:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit LisaSanCrom's Homepage Send LisaSanCrom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in NE FL and Blue Sky Alpaca Organic Cotton is my go-to snuggly yarn.

SERENITY IS NOT FREEDOM FROM THE STORM, BUT PEACE AMID THE STORM
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  8:06:19 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think an all-cotton throw would end up being crazy heavy. I vote for a cotton blend, such as those mentioned here. I also like Berroco Comfort. I've made a throw out of that and was very happy with the results. It washes perfectly, didn't bleed, feels nice, and comes in lots of weights and colors.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

vgshea@comcast.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  11:25:59 PM  Show Profile Send vgshea@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plymouth Encore is a nice and inexpensive wool-acrylic blend that's available in lots of colors. Plymouth Jelli Beenz is fun if you like crazy-bright colors. I knitted a baby blanket in it once and I was really happy with how it came out.
Go to Top of Page

jvmalcolm@yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  11:48:54 PM  Show Profile Send jvmalcolm@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can go with fairly large needles for the yarn used. We do have cool nights.
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  12:09:10 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go for a wool/cotton blend, or maybe alpaca/bamboo.
Go to Top of Page

bluelustrecat
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  04:07:33 AM  Show Profile Send bluelustrecat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in SC and think a sock weight would be perfect...although perhaps the wrong gauge for a blanket. It gets cold here in January and February and I have the lightest weight of down comforter for those months. My second choice would be a cotton wool blend. I would be tempted to use Madelinetosh Merino Light but it's very expensive.
Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  04:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do love the bamboo blends.......and cotton is nice too. I live in the ADKS too - southern part. Where in the Dacks are you, Kate?

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

dyepot
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  05:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit dyepot's Homepage  Send dyepot a Yahoo! Message Send dyepot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would opt for Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece and 80/20 cotton/wool blend. Very reasonably priced, great yardage and knits up beautifully and comes in nice assortment of colors and has great stitch definition. What more could you ask for?

www.dyepot.com
Go to Top of Page

jlpanecki
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  05:28:00 AM  Show Profile Send jlpanecki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like a lot of other members here, I would go with a cotton-wool blend. Pick something soft and light - Florida has cool nights. I have family in Florida, and they do use their furnace in the winter. An afghan to curl up in in the evening while relaxing sounds plausible even in tropical areas.

Janet
Go to Top of Page

sharecropper
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  06:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit sharecropper's Homepage Send sharecropper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I crocheted an afghan of Plymouth Encore, and it's very heavy and unusable here in Central Florida. I think a wool/cotton or a wool/bamboo blend using large needles would be best for our weather the last few years.

sharecropper
Go to Top of Page

LauraSue
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  06:08:05 AM  Show Profile Send LauraSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll add my vote to Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. It's a beautiful yarn that holds up over time. The colors are beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

amyelna
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  06:11:07 AM  Show Profile Send amyelna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just recently knit with Kollage's riveting, made from recycled jeans. I made myself a tank top that knit up nicely and is machine washable. I think this could be a unique option.

amyelna
Go to Top of Page

jhunt48
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  06:27:41 AM  Show Profile Send jhunt48 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lion Brand Cotton Ease would work very well for her.
Go to Top of Page

era253
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  07:09:27 AM  Show Profile Send era253 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would seriously consider Berroco Comfort. It is light and not too warm. It's a very, very soft Acrylic and doesn't have that plasticy feel that a lot of acrylics do, comes in every color imaginable, and three different weights. As an added bonus it's machine washable. I've made a comforter for friends in a colder climate and it wasn't warm enough. However, I've made baby blankets out of it and the babies always love it.
Go to Top of Page

kmd52@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 10/11/2012 :  07:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit kmd52@yahoo.com's Homepage Send kmd52@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. I own a yarn shop and we have been pleased with it. And I also find that I can throw it into the washing machine and dryer.
Go to Top of Page

imalulu
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  08:18:24 AM  Show Profile Send imalulu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kate, I am in the northern ADKs, Saranac Lake. I agree with those that have recommended Berroco Comfort. I have knit two pairs of socks out of Berroco Comfort Sock yarn and love the feel. It washes and dries (in dryer) very nicely. I spend a lot of time in Florida in the winter and these are my go to socks, there, when I need them, over my wool ones.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?