Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Re: Journey to Iceland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drmel94
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  05:30:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit drmel94's Homepage Send drmel94 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Hespa does have a web presence on Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/Hespa) where she sells kits of her yarn with a basic triangular shawl pattern. She also has a Facebook page, but that one's pretty much all in Icelandic.

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time, Clara, though I had no doubts that you would really love it there. See you in a few weeks!

"Hatred does not end by hatred; hatred ends by love. This is the eternal law." - Buddha

Anya
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  05:36:57 AM  Show Profile Send Anya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please, PLEASE, tell me you are repeating this tour next year!!! The tour I did of Iceland was called the South Viking Challenge, and it was all physical activity. I adored every minute of it, but I want to see this side of Iceland, too--woolies and goats and textile museums!!!
Go to Top of Page

MeezieGirl
Seriously Hooked

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  06:09:12 AM  Show Profile Send MeezieGirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara
Are you trying to kill us all off from envy????
I'm beside myself with the desire to go along with you, next time.

Dee

You can take the girl out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the girl.
(MeezieMom on Ravelry)

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  06:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh goodness! I didn't know about her Etsy presence - I'll update the story today.

And Anya, Ragga and I do have some thoughts about a new adventure. It really is a charmed place.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

jan.hamby@gmail.com
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  06:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit jan.hamby@gmail.com's Homepage Send jan.hamby@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loved, loved, loved the review...I traveled to Iceland a number of times on business, but ALAS, before I returned to knitting. I did buy some Lopi for my sister and admired a herd or two while driving about, but I really missed out on the real fiber story of the island.

I agree with Anya above, DO PLEASE repeat this tour. I would love to join in!!

Jan
twinsetjan at http://twinset.us
Go to Top of Page

tmarie
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  07:53:26 AM  Show Profile Send tmarie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a wonderful trip. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
Go to Top of Page

Kathi
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  07:57:06 AM  Show Profile Send Kathi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was utterly fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing that with armchair travelers like me. Someday.....
Go to Top of Page

Purrs918
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  07:57:27 AM  Show Profile Send Purrs918 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am SO glad that you have something in the works for another trip. I can only hope that I'll be able to attend!

b.

God created the cat so that man might caress the tiger.
Go to Top of Page

spinningkat
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  08:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit spinningkat's Homepage Send spinningkat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was the most beautiful piece you have ever done. I raise shetland sheep and love the viking traditional fiber arts and you brought us all along with you. Thank you for the experience. Now I must go out and kiss my sheep.

Kat
Check out news at Scarlet Fleece: www.scarletfleece.com
Go to Top of Page

krispe
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  08:17:28 AM  Show Profile Send krispe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooooooh, I am so envious of your trip! I've been to Iceland twice briefly on way to Stockholm and would love to return, particularly on an knitting/sheep adventure like you had. Please say it'll be repeated!
Go to Top of Page

kmmorrison78
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  08:58:01 AM  Show Profile Send kmmorrison78 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could have been there! I am saving right now for the next one next year.
Go to Top of Page

BooksAngel
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  11:45:05 AM  Show Profile Send BooksAngel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, one of your best.

Angel
Go to Top of Page

LauMay
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  12:28:05 PM  Show Profile Send LauMay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. Wow. So. Great. I also echo, "Are you trying to kill us all off from envy????"
Go to Top of Page

tangneyc
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  5:00:21 PM  Show Profile Send tangneyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But what about the communal nude bathing????? I can't be the only one waiting to hear about that!

Cindy
Fuzzythinker on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

annacecilia@harbornet.com

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  6:54:09 PM  Show Profile Send annacecilia@harbornet.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stayed in a hostel in Rekyavik on my way to Europe for the first time in the 1970's and found the country fascinating and beautiful in its own way. I also managed to weigh down my backpack with a bunch of lopi wool, some of which I still have in my stash. I remember loving all the sweaters but only bought a lovely pair of white mittens with small line of gold pattern on them, affordable and they didn't take up too much room in my backpack!
Go to Top of Page

Bennettdeb
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  7:46:33 PM  Show Profile Send Bennettdeb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! I felt as if I was there along with you! Thank you!

Deb
Go to Top of Page

anetteknits
New Pal

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  03:20:45 AM  Show Profile Send anetteknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a really lovely trip! I spent only 24 hours in Iceland due to an emergency landing on the way to New York, but I made the best of a stressful situation by going to the Handknitting Association of Iceland to stock up on lopi...now I'd love to see the country and experience this fascinating landscape in a wool-laced glow. Another trip next year?!
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

680 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  05:38:10 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hum, retirement is coming up, so maybe a trip like this could be in the cards for next year.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  3:41:51 PM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Clara, the pictures and stories are amazing. It did feel as if we were right there with you. So glad it was all you expected it to be and more. With all the knitters who would like to go, you'll have to make it an annual event!
Go to Top of Page

Rwats2
Chatty Knitter

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  12:41:42 PM  Show Profile Send Rwats2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One question... Have the plans been arranged for next year? I can have a suitcase and carry on packed in 10 mins flat. Pleas let me know when we leave
Go to Top of Page

cutlermac
New Pal

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2012 :  09:15:21 AM  Show Profile Send cutlermac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I visited Iceland in Aug 2012, but didn't get to see the countryside. Lots of knitterly stuff to see and feel.

The Handknitting Assoc store was nearby my lodging so we visited frequently. Once the clerks realized we could really knit, they went way out of way for us.

Even a short enroute stopover is worth doing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe