Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting emergencies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  5:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last weekend I experienced my first knitting emergency (don't worry, it was not the type of emergency where you sit on a DPN you left on the couch and end up in the ER!).

DH and I planned a trip to Maine for the Labor Day weekend so I figured that between the drive time (at least 7 hours each way), the meals, and the evenings staring at the ocean I would get some quality knitting time: I packed a baby blanket that I need to finish for a coworker. Once I found myself in the car on Friday afternoon, I realized I had left the blanket in progress, pattern, and needles in my desk at work and that the two other skeins I had with me were kind of useless. We were way past the point of going back to work or home to get one of my projects and it occurred to me that most stores would be closed for the holiday weekend. Sniff sniff...

DH calmed me down by saying that we were going to stop at one of my favorite yarn stores (Purl Diva in Brunswick) on our way. He may have driven a bit above the speed limit to make sure we made it before the closing time. Once there the lovely Ellen helped me choose yarn, pattern, and needles for a new project in record time and I went on my merry way with something to keep me occupied during the long weekend.

So, what was your last knitting emergency?

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  6:35:17 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Minh! I just knew you would solve such an emergency by finding a LYS! That is one shop on my list to visit (I live 30 mi. south).
I think my last knitting emergency was when one of my dogs chewed-up one of my bamboo needles on a project, Oh, and then there was the time she chewed through the cable on one of my Addi's. That is why I have multiples of the needles (dp and circ) that I use most often or think I will use.
judy
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  7:20:16 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have a really nice husband, who enables so beautifully, it is lovely to see!

I am so glad you had a yarn store on your way to go to!

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

llmcguire
Warming Up

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  9:27:39 PM  Show Profile Send llmcguire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel your pain. A few weeks ago I started a pair of socks for a Green Mountain Spinnery KAL. DD had a weekend long basketball tourney at Assumption College, about 1 hour away, that would be the perfect opportunity to get some serious knitting done. Saturday, I cast-on and got about 3 inches completed of the sock; I was excited. :) On Sunday, DH decides to come along AND he's driving, that means more knitting, yay. Going to the tourney on Sunday, I'm working away on the sock and it is just looking big. I'm using US1 (per pattern) and tend to be a tight-ish knitter, and yet these socks are huge! The more I worked on the socks the more frustrated I was getting about the size. Did I have smaller size needles with me, no. I offered to give these socks to DD, but quite frankly, she's 16 and not that 'knit-worthy' at the moment. I even thought of "shrinking" just a little bit in the dryer, but is there such thing, really-- "Shrinking just a little bit"? Not with my luck. In a blink of an eye, I had a pile of squiggly yarn... then I realized that I had no other knitting with me. I was a knitter without a project at a (long) sporting event. DD and DH are not as thoughtful as Minh's DH. We didn't go to a LYS for a quick fix. My anxiety was so high. I suffered the entire day. I feel particularly bad for the referees. Knitting keeps me quiet(er) at games.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  04:18:20 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right now all you knitters out there! There is a moral to these stories. It is this -
ALWAYS bring several projects when you go ANYWHERE.
You are far less likely to be left without anything to knit if you make sure you always bring a few projects.
Thankyou to all who have shown us the light.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

582 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  09:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Grand-Moogi on this one. This recent trip shows why I won't leave home without two projects packed in a carry-on.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  10:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had this happen. I'm at work with 3 projects in my bag and my sketch/chart/idea book and pencil, and of course some extra yarn and needles in case I want to swatch part of a pattern.

The closest I've fourteen was when I went away for a retrench and stayed for over a week. I cast off my last project as it was getting dark 30 minutes from home.

Poor Minh has learned the hard way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  2:08:26 PM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My recent knitting emergency was a true emergency. I received a phone call that my SIL had been in a motorcycle accident and was being med flighted to a trauma center about 30 miles away. I grabbed my knitting bag on the way out-it was a mindless project that I knew would help pass the time during what I was sure would be a long night.

We got to the hospital and I settled down to wait for news with my knitting...only to realize I'd left the pattern on the coffee table. We were there for 12 very long hours and I had nothing to keep my hands busy. My SIL is ok, and I learned a very important lession; always put your pattern back in the bag with the project when you set it down lol.

Linda

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  07:29:36 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hee hee That reminded me. I got stuck somewhere without the pattern once and I ended up calling my husband and he had to read it out to me. It was quite a challenge but he is now proud of the fact that he knows about K meaning knit and P meaning purl and tog is together etc. I got him to read out a few lines and then when I had finished that bit I called him again and he read out the next bit. He became quite good at it. He even knows what steeking is and he does not like it. He says it is too stressful for him when he knows we are steeking. We are not to tell him 'til it is done.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  11:16:14 AM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Moogie, that is so funny! Your husband certainly has much more patience than mine.

Linda

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  04:44:00 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall leaving a pattern in the seat pocket on a plan, and having to call my DH, have him find the original and read it out to me. But Minh's story has me wondering if my Iphone or car navigation can find knitting stores for me, just in case? anyone asked Siri?

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
88 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  7:42:00 PM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone makes fun of me when I show up with 4 or 5 "in progress" projects. But after reading all these posts, I'll continue to fill my backpack. I also have a dog who likes bamboo DPN's, my Clover size 8's have one needle shorter than the rest. It did show me that my DH can match the points pretty good with the tools from his workbench.
Go to Top of Page

orangeduchess
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  03:35:28 AM  Show Profile Send orangeduchess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I traveled in Europe for three weeks this summer. I carried sufficient yarn with me to work on my cape, I had extra cable for my tunesian extend-a-needles because I knew I wouldn't be able to find any there and the cables had come out of the needles before. I also had an extra copy of the pattern squirreled away in my suitcase in case I lost the pattern that I carried in my handbag. And then I did most of the driving during the first week and so I hadn't a lot of time to crochet but then we boarded the train and after that we had my mother as chauffeur. BUT I somehow must have lost the needle on the train and couldn't continue crocheting for the next two weeks in spite of turning the car inside out several time in the hopes of finding it there after all, ransacking the hotel room (maybe it had rolled under the sofa, but no such luck? and stopping at every yarn stop but being proven right that German craft stores do not carry tunesian needles of the diameter that I needed (much less ones that I could have attached my cables, too). My advice: Pack plenty of extra yarn, copies of the pattern AND ADDITIONAL TOOLS. LOL.
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
61 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  04:34:35 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About a year ago I was going on a long trip to a country show with a girlfriend. We travelled in her car, and I tossed my knitting - a lace shawl - in before I climbed in. Unfortunately the knitting landed on the car floor and my foot landed on the knitting, snapping one wooden end of my KnitPicks needle. So I couldn't knit for the whole hour-and-a-half it took us to get there. But there was still a bit of the needle left, so on arrival I sought out the woodworker's stall and borrowed tools and sandpaper from him. A rather-too-short needle is a GREAT deal more useful than no needle, and I knitted happily all the way home. Though I did go to the knitting shop as soon as possible afterwards to buy a new set of tips!
Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  05:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every year when we go on vacation, I take at least 3 totes of yarn with at least 4 different patterns. My husband mutters a lot when he realizes most of his clothes have been left home to make room for the totes. And to make matters worse, I ALWAYS carry on a tote with a project. This past summer, I was "commanded" to bring only 2 projects - one packed, one SMALL carry on (no extra stuff - just the project). I agreed since I have never really needed 4 projects. (But what IF....) Imagine my horror when I was at the airport working on a sweater for my new grandbaby and I discovered that I needed to start working on sleeves in the round and I was missing a DPN??????? I looked at the clock - 2 hours before the next flight and NO KNITTING????????? I brought a book, but it just wasn't the same. I knew that if I had packed my usual 4 projects, all my DPN would have been included (in my carry on)......live and learn..... Next year he'll be back to the diminished wardrobe and I'll have a larger carryon.

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

carolyn2001
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  05:10:21 AM  Show Profile Send carolyn2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last week we were on a cruise to from NY to Bermuda. When we got there, we took a taxi tour of the island. In the process of sitting in a tiny car my Knit Picks fixed circ broke .... It was magic looping my ohhhh comfort knitting (Desert Vista self striping yarn and basic vanilla sock). I had another project on the ship but I will never feel that I've overpack knitting projects and tools again. I will always travel with extra project and needles, etc. First world prob, but so important!!!! Especially since Hurricane Leslie caused extra days at sea than in port so I would have gone bonkers without a knitting project.....really!
Go to Top of Page

era253
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  07:44:36 AM  Show Profile Send era253 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last January we were driving to Florida from Chicago for a very long vacation. I brought only one project in the car to work on, a baby sweater for my niece's not yet born child. I couldn't believe how quickly I finished it. What was I thinking? I prevailed upon my dear husband to stop at a LYS in Nashville to ease my growing panic. When we got there, the shop was gone! Obviously they had moved or closed and the internet did not keep up with this new development. We called the number and fortunately found they kept it and moved only 3 miles away. When we got there I entered and announced to the woman behind the counter that I had a knitting emergency, and we were on our way to Florida. I LOVE other knitters. She totally understood and helped me put together another project. That one was finished by the time we were settled into our rented condo in Ft. Myers. Before we left, I visited a shop on Sanibel Island...the ONLY LYS left in the entire area, to get a return home project that lasted me the whole way. While online stores are wonderful for getting a wide range of yarns at a lower price, what would we do without our LYS's? It would be awful.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  08:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minh

Last weekend I experienced my first knitting emergency (don't worry, it was not the type of emergency where you sit on a DPN you left on the couch and end up in the ER!).

DH and I planned a trip to Maine for the Labor Day weekend so I figured that between the drive time (at least 7 hours each way), the meals, and the evenings staring at the ocean I would get some quality knitting time: I packed a baby blanket that I need to finish for a coworker. Once I found myself in the car on Friday afternoon, I realized I had left the blanket in progress, pattern, and needles in my desk at work and that the two other skeins I had with me were kind of useless. We were way past the point of going back to work or home to get one of my projects and it occurred to me that most stores would be closed for the holiday weekend. Sniff sniff...

DH calmed me down by saying that we were going to stop at one of my favorite yarn stores (Purl Diva in Brunswick) on our way. He may have driven a bit above the speed limit to make sure we made it before the closing time. Once there the lovely Ellen helped me choose yarn, pattern, and needles for a new project in record time and I went on my merry way with something to keep me occupied during the long weekend.

So, what was your last knitting emergency?

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com

minh dear, my beloved adopted niece, always keep an emergency sock under the seat- replace the yarn yearly.... but always keep sock yarn and dps

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with goat, sheep, ducks & chickens!
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  09:05:51 AM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emmyc

I recall leaving a pattern in the seat pocket on a plan, and having to call my DH, have him find the original and read it out to me. But Minh's story has me wondering if my Iphone or car navigation can find knitting stores for me, just in case? anyone asked Siri?

emmyc
winchester ma

If you have an iPhone, that's where you're in luck! You'll never want for your patterns again! You can call up the Ravelry app and look in your library. Download your pattern, and take screen shots of the page you need. I work so often directly from my phone now (it started with an ink shortage in our printer, and an "away-from-home-without-my-pattern" incident) that I rarely print out my patterns anymore... maybe a complicated lace chart, but that's about it!

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  09:07:47 AM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emmyc

emmyc
winchester ma

Forgot to mention my Yarnphone app! Using your phone's GPS, it will locate all the yarn shops near your location!

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

CrystalCactus
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  12:45:08 AM  Show Profile Send CrystalCactus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Returning to the U.S. from a trip to Ireland, I had my entire new set of Knitpicks interchangeabe circular needles confiscated at the Dublin airport! I protested in vain that I had knitted all the way over the Atlantic from the USA, but apparently the rules were different for going back. (no signs were posted to let you know) The young lady who grabbed my needles didn't even know what they were, even with my current project in the bag. She took so long checking with various people that there wasn't enough time to get the needles into my checked baggage. My family and I barely made the flight, and I had a black cloud hanging over me all the way home. So don't assume you'll be allowed to use your needles on every flight!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?