Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Mango Moon TDF
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  8:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, I've reviewed a novelty yarn. Remember back in June, oh so long ago, when I said that TNNA was ripe with novelty yarns? Well this is what I mean. It's not your traditional squeaky synthetic yarn -- it's mostly wool and silk with just enough nylon for two rows of binder thread.

Shall we?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  9:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This yarn reminds me of some of the novelty yarns at Avril (Habu) made out of wool. I could see it used for knitted flowers/brooches, hair accessories, and bracelets.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  03:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the "squeaky synthetic" part of novelty yarn that's always made me cringe, so I'm glad to read that yarn companies are moving away from that. The world could do with a little less fun fur and Homespun, and a lot more wool and silk! I like Minh's suggestions for how to use TDF, too.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

peggymchoe
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  05:28:06 AM  Show Profile Send peggymchoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My answer to 'shall we?' is something between 'no' and 'hell no' but as usual the review was interesting, even amusing. It sounds as though to knit the yarn you were making exaggerated knitting motions the way a mime might. It's an improvement over the synthetic stuff but superbulky yarn tends to make my hands and arms hurt.
Go to Top of Page

gma
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  06:18:43 AM  Show Profile Send gma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have made a slew of these "novelty" scarves as gifts -- people are some impressed. The 30-33 yard range makes one scarf; some of them tend to grow/stretch.

I find that crocheting them goes much much faster and produces a slight swirl to the finished product; crochet about 5 -7 stitches; turn. The making up goes so much faster -- about 45 minutes/scarf.

Never made one for me, they have all been presents.

But at one of my LYS, they sell, but secretly hate, the stuff. But people come asking for it. At least it is not fun fur!
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  07:17:08 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, did you goof somewhere with the stats on the yarn? If not, the answer for me is *absolutely not*!!! $30 for 33 yards? Even as an occasional add in, it's way too expensive. Why can't we just concentrate on well dyed, well spun, well produced yarns and forget the frou-frou silliness?

Thank goodness I'm a member of the SABLE club! I can shop my stash till the day I die and still not have to use novelty yarns.

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  07:17:47 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't care, I love novelty yarns! There's nothing better than eyelash or glittery yarn for a little girl's poncho or jumper, if she likes dressing up, that is. Felting experiments including some synthetic novelty yarn, like a garnish on a felted slipper, is fun, and I love all kinds of textured and boucle natural yarns, and one reason is the contrasting trim I love on all kinds of clothing and accessories. I do like Homespun, too, I'm afraid, despite its squeakiness, for its cheap and quick work-up into prayer shawls that no one has to worry about washing or drying.

It doesn't seem that this one would make a scarf within my gift budget, but the flowers, hair accessories, and hat and mitten cuff ideas are really appealling.

Live, Laugh, Love, Learn
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  08:01:15 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find I agree with churchlady - there is a place for every type of yarn. I spin, mostly wool, but some alpace, angora, mohair and silk included here and there, so do love the natural fibers. But when you add something quirky into a felted item, well, you never know what you will get. Usually something fun and/or unusual.

And, some people will not or cannot wear natural fibers next to the skin, so scarves and such in acrylics work. As for the yarn shop that sells, but hates, novelty yarns, I would be willing to bet they don't hate the income from such products.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?