Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 substituting yarns???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zanadana
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  08:33:10 AM  Show Profile Send zanadana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone please tell me how to substitute a reasonalbly priced
yarn for the suggested yarn, in a pattern that is expensive beyond my means?
Should I go according to gauge: 14 sts and 18 rows = 4"
Would the blend be a concern?
Is there a chart on this subject that you can direct me to?
suggested needle size would stay the same according to gauge?

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  12:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yarndex.com has a feature where you can search by gauge. The width is more important that the rows.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  1:59:33 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must take into consideration the way the substitute yarn "behaves" - is it the same fiber, will it drape the way it's supposed to - these are important to the success of your project.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  3:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you meaning that the suggested yarn is expensive? You need to look at the yardage required, when determining a substitute. Look up your pattern on Ravelry and see what other yarns (if any) have been substituted by others who have made the same pattern; sometimes their comments are extremely helpful.

Also, IF you are not in a terrible hurry to begin your project, you might just wait and keep an eye out for sales! I did this for almost a year for a pattern I've been holding, waiting for one of my preferred yarns (I made a list of about six that would work, all pretty pricey for my budget at the full price) to go on sale ... it happened a couple of months ago on WEBS, half the usual price and for less than I had ever seen it anywhere else. But again, I was not in a hurry.

Good luck.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3460 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  6:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
zanadana -- out of curiosity, could you tell us what the recommended yarn is? Some of us might be able to give you suggestions based on personal experience if you told us what the original fiber content was as well as what kind of projects it is for (sweater, shawl,...)

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

zanadana
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  11:46:51 AM  Show Profile Send zanadana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to thank you ladies for taking the time to reply....much appreciation !!!
The name of the yarn of which I am speaking, is:
"La Lana Forever Random Obverse Blends" ( 60% Romney Wool, 40% yearling mohair ) about 74 yd. each skein.. need 9 skeins about 666 yds. Bulky #5 yarn.
for Tzarina wrap by Norah Gaughan.
Would sure be happy to hear you suggest a more reasonably priced replacement yarn.
Go to Top of Page

zanadana
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  12:26:07 PM  Show Profile Send zanadana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ikkivan i did check with Ravelry as you suggested.

Did find many yarns that had been used on this pattern.
very interesting....thanks for the suggestion
Go to Top of Page

FranW
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  12:45:50 PM  Show Profile Send FranW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi,

Have you looked at Brown Sheep's Lamb's Pride Bulky? I know it's 85% wool and 15% mohair, but it's got good yardage and WEBS has it at $8.30/skein, plus discount.

http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-brown-sheep/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-brown-sheep-lambs-pride-bulky/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=F-M&utm_term=Lamb's%20Pride%20Bulky

Hope this helps.

Fran
Go to Top of Page

zanadana
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  2:04:26 PM  Show Profile Send zanadana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello FranW

thank you for the suggestion, but I looked up the comments and noticed that it sheds quite a bit and pills also.

I will continue to search. thank you for taking the time to answer.
Go to Top of Page

zanadana
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  2:06:19 PM  Show Profile Send zanadana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran, meant to add this is Too bad, as I found that they have
the perfect color, too.
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  11:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can only speak from personal experience, but I have found Lamb's Pride Bulky to be an excellent workhorse yarn, and have never had a problem with it shedding. Pilling perhaps in a high-wear area such as under a sleeve arm, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a wrap or cowl. And I'd imagine the La Lana wool that the pattern calls for would shed much more, given its higher mohair content.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

stitchellen
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  07:43:42 AM  Show Profile Send stitchellen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer wool yarn, and merino wool is the only wool fiber I can tolerate. Thus, I frequently substitute. I look at the number of yards per 50 grams as my criterion for comparison. It has worked for me thus far. I generally use fingering/sock weight or DK/sport weight yarn, never anything heavier than worsted weight - and I have yet to get the gauge for needle size that the skein label or item directions stipulate. I have been knitting nonstop for 72 years. Someone else mentioned WEBS. It is my go-to source for any yarn except the Koigu line. They have very good sales, plus they always have a huge selection of discontinued yarns at great prices. I probably took advantage of the sale price of the same yarn as the other WEBs fan. Louet Gem fingering yarn?
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1919 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  09:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mohair sheds, that is its nature. So something with a 40% content is going to shed much much more than something with 17% content.

That being said.. I've used Lamb's Pride Bulky for MANY things.. never had a problem with it, the projects have been well loved and used for over 10 yrs. None of them have had any major shedding issues. It is a very good workhorse yarn. Another good workhouse is cascade ecowool, which is 100% wool.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

zanadana
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  09:57:54 AM  Show Profile Send zanadana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You ladies are a wealth of information. Thank you for voicing your
many years of knitting experience.

You have been very helpful. I love this site.
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  11:47:28 AM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
zanadana, I've been told that pilling occurs more often with single ply yarn. Perhaps you could substitute a yarn with more ply?

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  12:21:49 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been using Berrocco Vintage for a project which involves making at least 6 scarves. WEBS has many nice colors of this yarn, and very reasonable too. Happy Knitting, Chayah

"Each breath really is a new beginning of the rest of our lives." Jon Kabat-Zinn
Go to Top of Page

zanadana
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  1:14:23 PM  Show Profile Send zanadana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chayah, is Berrocco Vintage a bulky #5 yarn?
A bulky yarn is what I need.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?