Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 I'll confess... I rearrange yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2012 :  6:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you ever go to a yarn store and notice that all the skeins are neatly arranged by type and color except for *one* skein that was taken aside by a knitter and put back on top but not with its buddies? Well... I usually put him back with his buddies because I don't want it to be lonely and because I'm obsessive-compulsive. I also move needles back to the right shelf if I see that they are with the wrong size needles.

I wonder if salespeople notice that I do that and if so, if it bothers them. I'll need an intervention if I start refolding clothes at a department store...

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  12:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is so funny. I do the same thing in the grocery store. If the shelf is faced off perfectly and I buy a can or two I re-face so it still looks nice!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  05:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do the same thing. I re-shelve books at the library too--and yes, I put them in the right place. I volunteered in a library for years as a kid, and I remember how impossible it was to keep the stacks neat.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  05:45:24 AM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too! Looks like we have a sisterhood here!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  06:24:25 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to do that with greeting cards but not with anything else that I remember. I think sales people should like "sorter shoppers". It saves them the trouble.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  07:15:30 AM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do the same thing. I worked in retail for many years so I was always having to put things back in their right place. I haven't worked in a store since 1986 but the habit never stopped.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

277 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  07:18:12 AM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll replace things in bookstores if they are really misplaced-knitting in the children's section, for instance. Like Lanea, I worked in a library one summer and remember "reading" the shelves, also known as putting books back in order.

During my high school years, the small town greeting card/knick-knack store had a chessboard incorrectly set up in the window. Since I learned to play chess as a know-it-all teenager, I insisted on going into the shop and letting them know that the board was set up incorrectly and offering to fix it for them. For some reason, the shop attendants did not take me up on my generous offer.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  8:29:58 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are all too funny! And my sisters in another life. I think.

Have you ever read a library book with a misspelled word and written in the correction? I have. Some call this "anal", but I prefer words like "tidy" and "precise". We have a restaurant in town that has a dessert named after Katharine Hepburn, but her name has been misspelled (Katherine) since they opened...maybe 20 years ago! I finally pointed it out to them, thinking I'd given them enough time to fix it on their own. They weren't at all appreciative of my help. Go figure.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

sharecropper
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  02:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit sharecropper's Homepage Send sharecropper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also straighten shelves in all kinds of stores, but I also leave one skein slightly askew to draw attention to the yarn. Of course, I worked in a yarn store for several years, and we spent hours and hours keeping the shelves straight and the colors together. I even do this kind of straightening in thrift shops. Sometimes I will tell them if something they have priced very low is worth much more...even when I'm the one buying it.

sharecropper
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  03:36:06 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once upon a time, you could earn a dollar for every misspelled word you reported to a publisher. Provided you were the first to bring it to their attention. They made a note of all these corrections ready for the next printing. There were some people who would buy a new book just released and read it through and notify the typos and make a tidy sum.
I have a pet hatred for spelling mistakes in advertising. I am always thinking that there should be a day each year when school kids are allowed to go round and fine people for spelling mistakes in their advertising, menus etc. That would encourage kids to learn spelling and also encourage businesses and others to watch their spelling.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
58 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  04:15:57 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tidy up, in yarn stores and, far more often (because I'm there more often) in our Guild library. And I straighten pictures on other people's walls. Typos in library books I try to treat with a modicum of respect; I put the correction in in pencil, in the margin.
Go to Top of Page

jenesei@comcast.net
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  05:18:20 AM  Show Profile Send jenesei@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too put wayward skeins back in place, and do the same with greeting cards. But my most frequent straightening is with paint chips. It is so annoying when the well-planned color sequence in the array of chips is interrupted by colors out of order!
Go to Top of Page

scottishknitter
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  05:58:30 AM  Show Profile Send scottishknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also straighten up in Wal-marts, bookstores, yarn shops, grocery stores, etc. etc. And I love to re-arrange and organize my stash at home. It drives my beloved crazy...even though he is a Virgo, he says that I go too far sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

cwhitman6@yahoo.com

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  07:25:40 AM  Show Profile Send cwhitman6@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I surreptitiously smell the yarn, even though I know it's probably not very nice to bury my nose in yarn I might or might not buy. I love the smell of minimally-processed wool and of dyes set with vinegar. I know a few other people who do this, too. And I work at a yarn store!
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  08:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I admit that I'm a "tidier", too, and I'll even own up to having judgmental thoughts about "inconsiderate" people who leave things that don't belong to them in disarray. Now, if I only learned how to channel this energy onto myself regarding things I do own, I might have a somewhat clean house!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

simple knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  10:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Send simple knitter a Yahoo! Message Send simple knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only have a habit of putting yarn where it goes. When I am in the grocery store, or any other store, I go by my step-father's rule: Someone else is getting paid to do that. So in all actuality leaving things for the employees to fix is creating job security, therefore stabalizing the economy... It's a weird way to look at it, but it's true.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  11:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillstreetmama
Have you ever read a library book with a misspelled word and written in the correction? I have.

Jan, this is exactly what I do when I read on my ipad. So far, I've been downloading Google books that are in the public domain, and a lot of them are full of errors because of how they were scanned. I want to know who to report my corrections to!

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

CAJill
New Pal

29 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  12:49:15 PM  Show Profile Send CAJill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have worked in both yarn stores and needlework stores in the past. When I am in yarn or craft stores now I also straighten things up. I sort the yarn, especially if I need to see if there are enough skeins for my project. I sort the perle cotton and floss in the needlework sections. But what I ALWAYS sort out are the books. It drives me crazy that people can't put the books and leaflets back where they found them.

Jill in CA
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  11:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do this, too! It always bugs me when people are too lazy to put something back where they found it in a store...

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  2:39:50 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lanea, if you find where to report misspellings in Kindle books, let me know. I sometimes wonder if anyone proofreads them at all. Though I won't mention the title, I once read a book that could have won a prize for the most grammatical, spelling and general English errors. The winner was when they heard the "whaling of the ambulance siren".

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Gibson Girl
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  09:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gibson Girl's Homepage Send Gibson Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gosh, I'd like to invite you all to my home for a few days!!! I'm so right brained nothing is in its right place!I'm also a painter and now and then I need to stop working just to put things away in their proper place in my studio...so I can find the darn things. My yarn closet would be a daunting project for one of you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?