Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Culling the stash
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

19vesperstreet
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  6:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit 19vesperstreet's Homepage Send 19vesperstreet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I read something here that was stash related. Clara advised giving away the yarns you just don't love anymore. Anyone want to help me find that post? I know she said something about making a pile of the just ok yarns and then another of yarns that you know you won't ever knit with now that you know about the "good" stuff. Thanks in advance, Erin in Boston

erin mcdonald

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

286 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  03:56:30 AM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the article Clara wrote about slow stashing is the one you're referring to.

http://knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/profile/090101_a.asp
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  11:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I've done is to give yarn I no longer want to friends. I had one friend come over and I lined up all the skeins I didn't want on the bed and let him pick out what he'd like...he's between jobs right now, so he was thrilled to get freebies and I freed up my yarn storage!

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2608 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  12:26:30 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am doing that with my college-aged daughter. I have realized two things too late: (1) It takes a lot less time to buy yarn than to knit yarn, and (2) I have reached SABLE (stash accumulation beyond life expectancy). So when my daughter is home from college, i let her stash-dive and pick what she wants, as long as she casts on right away. No sense in just moving the stash from one closet to another.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Zoomom
New Pal

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  06:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Zoomom's Homepage Send Zoomom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave away all my acrylics yarns and ones that I didn't like any more (now that I am big into natural wools, alpaca and such) to my Mom's knitting group. It was forced de-stashing as I had to give up my closet for a while for a reno, but I think it worked out well in the end. It made room for a big bag of wool to spin, hehehe.

Hand knit socks rock.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  9:09:08 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do as Anderknit does, and let my knitting daughters take things from my stash. SABLE or not, the sock yarn is off limits. All other yarn is up for grabs. I wish one of them would take my Cotton Fleece...I don't really care for it (and all the colors I have are dull).

Jan
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
912 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  10:42:27 AM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not donate some to your local community center or senior center?

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  10:23:42 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave a box of acrylics that I inherited when my husband's cousin died to Goodwill. I kept her needles to remember her by.

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  3:19:17 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just the name makes me shudder -- culling. However I, too, have taken some to the senior center (I'm a proud member) and some to the local church where we have a knit group twice a month.

As long as it's appreciated and used.

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Go to Top of Page

Sharon

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  6:06:17 PM  Show Profile Send Sharon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do people who receive donations of yarn want all wool? The groups I've checked with want washable yarn, such as acrylic.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  07:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not yet too good about culling. I have given away most of the big-box-store synthetic yarn that I began with (as with many other knitters, before I learned about the natural stuff that I now prefer). And wouldn't you know it, now that I did that, a local call for donated knit and crochet items specifies ONLY synthetic yarns!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  6:47:03 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ikkivan - When someone asks for synthetics, I just use Encore. It's mostly acrylic, but has enough wool to satisfy ME, and it gives some life to the yarn.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  11:05:54 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm lucky to have a daughter who knits and is happy to take any unwanted yarn off my hands.
Go to Top of Page

agnesgooch
Gabber Extraordinaire

573 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2013 :  09:47:23 AM  Show Profile Send agnesgooch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My stash is almost to the point of being unmanageable. I'm trying to use up my really small scraps. I have one of those Rubbermaid cabinets (about 2 feet wide X 5.5 feet tall)filled with these small scraps (less than 1/4 of the original ball/skein/hank). I sorted these by color and put in each color in a jumbo (2 gallon) zip-lock bag. In the last month I have made two felted bags out of these scraps. I really liked the results and the fact that my bags of scraps are getting starting to get smaller.

Unfortunately, I really haven't stopped buying yarn, but I get it when it's on sale and then I put it aside until I use up some of the scraps first. My other stash consists of Cascade 220, Paton's Classic Wool, Plymouth Galway and Lorna's Laces Shepherd Bulky. All of this is stored in large zip-lock bags in four of these plastic crates I got at work (they used to hold 24 heads of romaine and fold up for easy storage). My goal is to get this yarn into my rubbermaid cabinet. I won't tell you about the 4 foot-lockers of various yarn I have at this time.

Since people at work know I knit, they are always bringing me yarn from some relative or themselves. I gladly accept because you never know if it will be cashmere or big box store acrylic (it's never been cashmere, sigh!). I give this to my LYS owner because she is always getting requests for people who knit for charity and she can't afford to give away too much of her stock.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?