Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Yarn Shop!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  2:14:39 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, knitters! I sure wish I had a yarn shop or a craft store near my house! Then I could over-indulge in my yarn/knitting addiction!
An endless supply of money would help too!lol

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  2:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no LYS near me (nearest one is at least 90 minutes away through big-city traffic, which no yarn is worth, IMO), but fortunately/unfortunately, I have THE INTERNET with a world of yarn waiting to be delivered right to my doorstep. Sigh, I'm afraid it's all too easy for me to overindulge.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  3:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 2 not so local yarn stores, both 50 minutes away, rural driving. I love to go to both but it can be a budget breaker! Last month $90.00 + for sock yarn at one and this month $60.00 so far at the other one. Then there are goodies available on line. Right now I've got my eye on a WooLee Winder, made by Robert Lee, for my spinning wheel and a single Yarn Buddy from Sun Valley Fibers just because I want one. I think Mr. Lee will get my money the latter part of this month, I've already got the order form printed! I'm waiting for Sun Vally Fibers to put up more Yarn Buddies, to choose from, before I order from them.

My mail man is so cute, he rings my door bell when he delivers a package! He knows it is either knitting related or books!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  6:56:27 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You go, girls! You fortunate individuals you!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  06:34:43 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
My mail man is so cute, he rings my door bell when he delivers a package! He knows it is either knitting related or books!

And they look at you with such a knowing look!

We are in a new house and we are trying to establish a garden. I have bought plants on line and I even bought 765 bulbs on line.
Our mail delivery person is a lady and she kinda looks at me as if I have a fetish. Well I guess I do in a way.
Plants PLANTS PLANTS Give me more plants.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  8:30:02 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep at that garden, Grand-moogi! Are u going to plant vegetables?

crafty1mjw

Keep on knitting!
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  10:41:37 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, yeah, vegetables. I miss having a vegetable garden. Or any garden at all for that matter. What are you planting, Grand-Moogie? What kinds of bulbs?

And Crafty, be careful what you wish for! I live in San Francisco and we have three and a half yarn stores (one is in the back of a stationary store, and is super-small) and at least two places where I can pick up fiber to spin. It's dangerous! I don't have a longer-than-my-own-lifespan stash yet, but that is only due to my extreme wariness and denial. (Both self-denial, and denial of yarn lust. "You don't love that yarn. No, you don't. Stop sniffing it.) (:

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  03:45:22 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes we have a vege garden. That is my daughter's domain. So far I think se has brown and red onions, leeks, various lettuces, one cauliflower, some brussels sprouts and some bok choy. She also has two lemon trees. She will be getting lots more planted soon. It is mid winter here.
Bulbs include lots of tulips, daffodils, snowflakes, muscari, ranunculi, Babianas. Jonquils, Nerines, Baby Gladioli and Freesias. I also planted 320 pansies (seedlings) amongst them and four flowering trees/shrubs. We have since added Agapanthas - about 30, 7 Cordylines and we have about three Proteas to plant. Then we have about 1000 square metres to be turned into an Australian Native bush garden. It is very exciting.
This is why breaking my feet means I get more knitting done. I cannot garden with broken bones in my feet.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  04:04:45 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel very lucky that a lovely yarn store called Another Yarn opened last year right in my town center. Teresa, the owner has had great classes( I got to spend most of a day learning Estonian lace with Nancy Bush) and beautiful yarns. Thursday nights are social knitting, and there's plenty of room to sit and knit when you've got some time to kill.

It's a dream store and I've promised myself to do my absolute best to buy my knitting needs here. It also makes it really easy now for my family to figure out what to get me for birthdays!

However, Robinstephs warning is to be heeded!. Last Thursday we went through new Bergere de France books. I don't think I'm going to be able to restrain myself!!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  1:30:43 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Emmyc, I'm jealous!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  10:33:55 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grand-Moogi, your garden sounds incredible. It will be so incredibly colorful when those flowers bloom. I love the springtime flowers, the tulips, the jonquils and daffodils. I especially like grape hyacinth. They're teeny-tiny, and don't last long, but unlike many other bulbs--which I don't find to have a scent--grape hyacinths have a wonderful scent. Hope you foot bones are healing quickly so you can get the heck off the porch and into the dirt.

Emmy, your dream store sounds great. With all those knitting stores around here, only one has a social knitting time, and it is the store that is furthest away from me. I keep thinking I'll make it, and maybe I will, one of these days.

Rosie's Yarn Cellar in Philly has a great knitting night on Wednesdays. When i was in Philly last March I went to check it out and those knitters just welcomed me in. Course, it didn't hurt that I dropped Purlewe's name! (Who I met for the first time, and who was also pretty great.)

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

agnesgooch
Gabber Extraordinaire

573 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  03:50:44 AM  Show Profile Send agnesgooch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a yarn shop about 3 miles from me, a short bus ride, and Hobby Lobby even closer (don't like as much). The yarn shop has a huge selection of yarn in a very small space and very little is labeled with prices, which is very frustrating at times.
I have another LYS about 1800 miles away in Portland, Ore. The owner is very efficient about shipping. A couple of weeks ago I ordered on a Friday evening, at 8:00. I immediately received the order confirmation email and then 20 minutes later another email telling me the order had shipped. By Monday, the yarn was in my hands and I loved it so much I ordered more. That second order arrived in my mailbox that Wednesday. Very impressive!
Anyway, the name of this amazing yarn shop is Angelika's Yarn Store (www.yarn-store.com). I have no affiliation, but I would appreciate if all of you here would visit and buy the remaining Lorna's Laces Shepherd Bulky before I am tempted to buy more. I've ordered 3 times from there in the past few weeks. Every time I receive an order from her, I have to go back to the site and see what other colors are still there. The stuff normally sells for $19.00, but select colors are for sale at $11.49.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  04:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the few advantages of city/ suburb living. I'd give up my 3 closish lys and even more if I want to drive 20 minutes for a bit more privacy and feeling safe letting my kids run around in the yard without me being out with them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  4:37:29 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My LYS is a half mile walk, one bus, light rail, transfer, slight walk from the station. And I don't mind the ride as I have my nose in a book the whole way (and I may well be knitting besides).

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe