Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Shawls, Scarves, Ponchos
 looking for pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

weavingway
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  10:06:35 AM  Show Profile Send weavingway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently went to an open air museum in Norway. The guide had on a beautiful shawl, plainly knit. regular triangle in back with gusset. In front the right hand point went around waist to the left, left hand point went around the waist to the right, both ends coming back to front and tying. I believe this is a faroese type shawl. I can only seem to find them in lace and not long enough ends to go around waist and tie in front. As she walked and talked the shawl never needed adjusting, stayed in place.I would appreciate any pattern help. Thanks

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  11:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of faroese-style shawls out there; many have been prettified with lace and cables along the way. If you are looking for the most basic of basics, then Fenna by Myrna A.I. Stahman from the 2000 book Stahman's Shawls & Scarves is probably your best bet. (Check your library or LYS.) Online, you can also find:
Utilitarian Faroese Shawl by Melissa Hahn
Leftovers Faroese Shawl by Rachael Switalski

One is free, the other is paid - I don't know either designer to vouch for their pattern-writing, but if you are on ravelry, both patts are available there.

HTH!

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  5:07:13 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that there was an article on such shawls, and a project, in a "Piecework" magazine sometime in the past decade.. (How's that for a specific time frame?)
Piecework is an Interweave Magazine, I think their first, and if you don't know it, be sure to get acquainted! I love it, and have copies from the beginning.

Anyway, sorry I am so vague, but the shawl is more prolific than just Faroese, I just wanted to say.... Good luck with your search!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  7:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I purchased a book that is all Faroese shawls from Schoolhouse Press. It is a translation by Marilyn Van Keppel, Faroese Knitting Patterns - Knited Shawls - with translation. The hard bound book has great pictures of women wearing the shawls and very good charts, but of course is written in Faroese. It came with a separate book, done in quality paper, that is the translation. I have my receipt dated 6/24/03 for $44.50.

I can't recommend anything else, having purchased this book. The variety of shawls, all like you described, is amazing. I don't know if the book is still available, but it would be worth your time to find out.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Edited to add: ISBN: 0-942018-12-5 (for the translation booklette)

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  7:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just checked Amazon and they have just the translation booklette available and it is $64.00 used. The two book set shows unavailable. Powells books had nothing available and only listed the booklette.

I didn't realize how much this book set would be worth! So sorry to get your hopes up for something that is not available!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  8:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked out NutmegOwl's links and found that the Leftovers Faroese Shawl by Rachael Switalski is what you want and it is a free download. The directions are like the ones in the book I have. Also, as you can see, it will be more than big enough to go around and tie in front.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  10:03:32 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The leftovers shawl is beautiful. Thanks for mentioning the pattern, Nutmeg Owl. I, too, would love a shawl that is pretty AND stays in place.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

weavingway
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  09:03:35 AM  Show Profile Send weavingway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much. I do belong to Ravelry and I looked up both of the shawls mentioned by Nutmeg Owl. I think Leftovers Faroese Shawl by Rachael Switalski will be the one although the other looks like a warm utilitarian shawl also. It is so great to have this place to go for knitting help, its like comfort food. Thank you
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  2:17:39 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found this one on Tavelry, too:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sarah-11

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe