Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Has anyone been....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rwats2
Chatty Knitter

USA
241 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  09:45:06 AM  Show Profile Send Rwats2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone been on any recent plane trips? Just curious to hear if there are any more stories about airport security.

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  11:07:01 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just flew to Philly and back, and Denver and back, with no problems, not even a lifted eyebrow. I had both wood and metal needles in my handbag. I've heard flying with needles domestically is no problem; flying internationally is another deal.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1932 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  11:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I flew to Canada and then within Canada recently. I had no problems with my needles. I did have a problem with my louet wheel wrench I had in my knitting toolbox. They let me thru, but each time it came up on xray they were confused to what it was. I didn't think about it being in there!

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  12:07:58 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I flew a couple days ago..no problems. I always elect for a patdown and they didn't even do that...just let all of us walk right through with no scans of any kind. Well, except for our bags, of course.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  6:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seattle and back to DC in march without any issues and lots of needles, 2 young kids and a stroller. No issues at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature? Who needs a signature?
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  12:48:17 PM  Show Profile Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fly almost weekly and always with at least one project in my carry-on. Have not had a single issue at security. A few seat mates have looked with curiosity or perhaps a bit of alarm at my Addi Lace Turbo or Signature Stiletto points, but that's about it. Gray hair may help!
Go to Top of Page

Patshere
Chatty Knitter

176 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  06:05:32 AM  Show Profile Send Patshere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paris round trip earlier this month...I took a fingerless glove project with DPNs as carryon both ways with no issues.
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
912 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  08:08:40 AM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mshark, noticed that you're a newbie! Welcome to the KF! Looking forward to reading your posts here in the forums! Glad you joined us & hope you decide to stay!

crfatymjw

Keep on knitting!
The more, the merrier!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter in each hand!
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  08:47:24 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's great to hear from the folks who've traveled internationally lately.. A few years ago I had heard it was really hard to carry knitting on international. Do people get the sense that is changing/loosening up?

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  09:09:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been steadily carrying on knitting needles internationally ever since 9/11, and the only times I was ever asked about it was in Canada in the old days before they changed the rules there. I know that Mexico is an issue, always has been and still is, but that's not a place I go to. I've been to every continent except Antarctica in the past 10 years, always carrying knitting needles with no issues. Sometimes if you ask you'll be told no, regardless of the actual rules. The people answering the phone or at the desk for an airline can be unaware of the actual rules and will just give an answer that is really their opinion. I did generally take bamboo or wood dpns in the first few years, but later I realized that there wouldn't be a problem so switched to whatever needles I happened to use in a project.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  3:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also a welcome to Miriam. I hope you are not sweltering and have power.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe