Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Mid-Gauge Machines
 6.5 versus 7 mm gauge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceilknit
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  9:10:28 PM  Show Profile Send Ceilknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am new here. I've had the USM for a year (have loved and hated it) and am ready for a 2nd better machine. The MK standard gauge is way too tiny for my eyes. I knit mostly sport and a little heavier yarns. And I do like hand manipulating stitches, not interested in electronic (not yet anyway).

I've checked out LK150 and used LK140, and recently a Brother KX350. It seems that tension dial (rather than keyplates) could make the difference between 6.5 and 7 insignificant.

Opinions re 6.5 versus 7 mm would be appreciated.

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  03:40:23 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi: It would be very hard to see the difference between the 6.5 & 7mm machines. the difference is in the spacing of the needles, but use the same yarns and results are identical. I've had both machines and would recommend them highly.
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  10:32:19 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a 7mm machine and believe me, it is much easier to get tools for the 6.5mm machine, I think.

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...I'm fairly certain that, given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

Go to Top of Page

Ceilknit
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  8:43:01 PM  Show Profile Send Ceilknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bernie and Shirley. It is good to understand that the results can be identical. Shirley's point about tools led me to see that the 350 was/is the only 7 mm. Prices really vary on eBay and on yahoo (for sale KM) sites so a 350 would have to include tools.

Luckily I have bond and hand knit projects to finish as I search for another machine. Thanks again
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe