Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Hooray, it's finished!
 Recommendations for blocking silk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Patshere
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  07:12:34 AM  Show Profile Send Patshere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally finished no spider web fichu (Victorian Lace Today) in 100% silk and am ready to block. I know it will "grow" in the process, and am wondering if anyone has some tips for blocking this type of fabric,.

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  9:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a sweater that needs to be washed, and I've been thinking that the best way to do it is to buy some tulle, lay the piece flat on top of the tulle (well, mine is a cardigan, so not quite), roll it up snugly and then put it in a laundry bag or something to help it stay snug, then put it in the drink. Hopefully this would all survive spin-drying in the washer! Then lay the mass on a towel or drying rack and unroll it.

It sounds good, anyway.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

mrsredmst
New Pal

38 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  04:38:49 AM  Show Profile Send mrsredmst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm doing my first silk shawl so I'm interested in how to block this too. I heard that silk doesn't grow as much as other fabrics?
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  06:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
silk grows. It truly does.

You could always finish it off with a hot iron, which tends to give it an even higher gloss.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

576 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  06:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't give silk any more special treatment than any other fiber.

I give it a long sudsy bath so the warm water can truly penetrate the fiber. Roll it in a towel to blot. String it onto wires and pin the bejeebus out of it. It will have quite a bit of give, so I always go into it with measurements of what I want the finished size to be and pin out accordingly. What you achieve in length you will lose in width and vice-versa - so keep the ruler handy.

You needn't worry about harming it or breaking it. It has a lot of tensile strength. Let it dry at LEAST 48 hours. And as Purlewe so wisely notes, if you want it to really shine, a hot iron will do that for you.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  08:03:39 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Won't a hot iron burn or scorch?

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2356 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  10:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Owl is correct, just keep the hot iron moving over the fabric of the lace and it will be fine. Also, it should be a hot DRY iron, no steam for this process.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  6:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For all my shawls I soak them repeatedly using the colander of a salad spinner until water is clear (no dirt or dye). Then I spin the water out in the spinner. Then stretch and pin until taught on my guest bed. For 100% silk I iron it once it's dry before unpinning to bring out the shine, hot, dry and fast is the key (there may be a joke in there somewhere ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature? Who needs a signature?
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  05:24:47 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never ever thought of using my rarely used salad spinner for this!

Jayme, you are a genious!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  5:13:30 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the salad spinner method

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe