Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Sick of it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  05:27:26 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My daughter recently finished a tunic that she has been working on for quite a while. Although she is glad to have it finished and it is quite nice, she says that by the time she finished it she was sick of it. Has that happened to anyone else?

I knit a hug into every stitch

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  07:08:26 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've knitted things and later decided I didn't like them and probably would never wear them. But that's the great thing about knitting...you just tear it out and make something else! Even if you don't like the color, you can always over dye it.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  07:43:34 AM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has not happened with something I have knit for myself (yet), but 2 gifts that I was making seemed to go on for so long that I was very happy to see them done and gone. The sweater was one of those projects that I would measure in the morning, knit all day and only add an inch or two at a time. I thought it would never get done. Then, when you think you cannot knit the 20 more rows you estimate are left, you have an inch too many. The shawl was just an extra wide scarf and even though the repeat was 18 rows, I think I was dreaming the chart in my sleep. I hope, since she doesn't have to knit on it now, she can see the that it was worth her hard work. I'll bet it is lovely.
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

761 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  04:19:56 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm knitting an afghan now each panel has taken me a month to finish, it has six panels. I started this thinking I would gift this,now I'm thinking anything that takes me this long to finish I should keep. I had to put it down and make other things just so I wouldn't get tired of it. Donna
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  04:47:36 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally abide by my rule that I can't start a new project until I have finished what I am working on.(Note; that doesn't stop me from buying yarn and/or patterns.) One has to have a plan...

However, I was working on a sock that was really challenging and went on forever and I really got sick of knitting it. When the first was done I put it aside and knit a cowl from my queue as I just couldn't bear to start the next.

when I went back to the second sock, I was much happier and content with the second sock.

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  04:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get sick of knitting boring things, but not necessarily sick of the item. I always have at least 3 things going at once, so I just move to something else. Right now, I'm knitting a baby sweater from a Morehouse Farm's pattern. It's just the right amount of color changes and pattern to keep me engaged. I might just finish it without picking up something else!

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

191 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  04:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too generally prefer to finish one thing before starting another. But lately there have been so many things that inspire me (thanks Pinterest!) that I have all these ideas and want to try them all! While I'm a knitter at heart, I also crochet, do three kinds of felting, and have become enchanted with upcycling t-shirts. So if I get bored with something, I leave it a while and go on to another project, usually in another medium or technique. When I get back to the original item, I have fresh eyes on it and can either pick up where I left off - or scrap the whole thing and start over!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/scarfitupwilmington
Go to Top of Page

KnittingBuddha
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  04:55:15 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingBuddha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just finished knitting a mitered square afghan which is a wedding gift -- they have been married I believe about two years now. I made the mistake of deciding to make an afghan like another I'd made for myself, which they saw and loved. Even though I varied it somewhat, I quickly realized that I must never make the same thing twice again. I was bored bored bored, and I kicked myself quite a bit while also trying to knit love, light and happiness into the thing. It is one step from completion. I am putting a cotton backing on it. Then, it's done!

I've also learned I need to make things with as much variety of stitch or color or difficulty as possible to keep myself interested.
Go to Top of Page

Sloknitr
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  05:00:35 AM  Show Profile Send Sloknitr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit a shawl that I couldnt wait to get rid of! My yarn choice was not the best for me and was kind of boring to look at. The pattern was a mystery KAL and was so schizophrenic. None of the sections gave me any pleasure at all. If not for the fact that it was a KAL, I probably would have abandoned it. By the time it was finished I could hardly bear to look at it. I sent it to me cousin in a far away state and hope I never have to look at it again!
Go to Top of Page

weeza
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  06:59:29 AM  Show Profile Send weeza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that this is the best reason to have several projects going at once: the lace that demands attention, the quick to finish whatever, the slow and easy, the mindless "while I'm at the movies" piece, etc. Rotating keeps the boredom away and, obviously, allows the freedom to be seduced by new yarn without guilt.

Weeza
Go to Top of Page

Eaglewolf
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  07:08:08 AM  Show Profile Send Eaglewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This happens frequently when I knit for my husband which I generally have decided to only do once a year. He is has a very long waist and I need to knit about 30 inches of body not to mention sleeves. I have the same mantra though that I have to finish one project before moving on to another. Fortunately this years sweater is blocking as I write this.
Go to Top of Page

njzube@aol.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  07:14:38 AM  Show Profile Send njzube@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes! Many times! Usually I'm so sick of the color I can't wait to give it away. I made a beautiful Jacob's Ladder sweater in pink, and by the time it was done, all I could think of was Pepto Bismol, even though it was a beautiful color when I bought it. If someone knows I am making a gift for them, it takes the pleasure out of it for me, and then it becomes a chore to finish.
Go to Top of Page

tamdoll@comcast.net
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  09:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit tamdoll@comcast.net's Homepage Send tamdoll@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad I'm not the only one. In the 80's, I started a bright blue, fuzzy, sparkly sweater - was so proud how I figured out how to knit it all the round with minimal fuss for sleeves, etc... then I got sick of it. Got married. Moved. When I recovered it out of a packing box, I was sick of the color and the sparkles - all of it. So I finished it up quick and then quickly dropped it in a Goodwill bin. Someone out there has a handknit sweater that was never worn!

http://tamdoll.blogspot.com
http://www.tamdoll.etsy.com
http://www.ravelry.com/people/tamdoll
Go to Top of Page

LoplollyBlue
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  10:44:31 AM  Show Profile Send LoplollyBlue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently renamed a shawlette I was making from SummerNightSky to Patience. It wasn't that it was boring so much but as my first shawl, I redid it again and again and again and again... (And yes, I did use life lines) until finally, towards the end when I felt I simply COULD NOT undo it again, I took it into my LYS and a patron there showed me how to carry stitches up through the lace. Yay her (I don't remember her name but I do remember her skill!)

And guess where the acronym UFO comes from. A lot of folks just get bored doing knitting. It's process vs. product.. or maybe both together is what a knitter needs.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  11:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grandmoogi, perhaps your daughter just needs to put the sweater away for a season before bringing it out to wear. Years ago, when I sewed all the time, I remember hating a dress by the time I made three of them for mother-daughter outfits!

Although I do knit baby blankets, I usually dislike doing so because they are so boring; I'm always thrilled to have the thing completed. Personally, I can't imagine working on only one project at a time. In addition to a larger, often complicated item that is knit only at home, I almost always have a sock on the needles for my portable project that is grabbed along with my purse when heading out the door. And I like a mindless project (dishcloth, hand towel, that dreaded baby blanket) for watching TV to keep my hands out of the peanuts.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  03:08:06 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my! This is bringing back the horror of the darn Flower Basket Shawl. See it on Ravelry. I cast on and ripped out about 18 times. It was my first lace project and so far the only one. I am not good with stitch charts. I got so sick of it that if I had too many stitches I just decreased; if too few I increased. It was a test to see if I could knit lace so I never had a recipient in mind. I just wanted it to be DONE. I was sick of the pattern, the yarn and the gorgeous green color.

When I finally finished it I gave it to a very sick friend. As I was washing and blocking it, I must have said a Novena to get rid of the bad juju! God bless her -she loved it and wore it until she passed away several months later.

I stil suffer from "lace PTSD"!
Go to Top of Page

Daylily
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  1:20:33 PM  Show Profile Send Daylily a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently knitting a feather and fan baby blanket and I am so sick of it. I keep making mistakes and have to frog back to correct the mistake. I only have about 5 more inches to do on it and then I can cast off. I have to get it finished soon since it is a gift for the neighbor across the street from me. The wife is having twin girls in late June.I already have one blanket finished in the same pattern and same yarn .

Daylily, another one tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  04:05:22 AM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely, Grand-moogi! A couple of years ago, I knit hats for a couple of young friends of mine. These were winter hats that were so long you could use them for scarves. It took me so long to finish, I haven't wanted to knit any more of them!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
Go to Top of Page

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  08:03:45 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhere in my WIP's basket is a hat I have put off finishing. I wouldn't take any time at all, I just don't want to do it. I also have yarn for 3 more hats!

Last January, I started a feather and fan afghan for my daughter's April birthday. Then I got busy knitting prayer shawls. Every so often, I'd take out the afghan and add a few rows. Her birthday came and went. Now I'm trying to finish it in time for Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1237 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  1:05:31 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you've hit on a common theme, Grand-Moogi. I started my first sweater last February; I put it down around May and haven't touched it since. I'm thinking that since the cold(er) weather is coming now, I might get inspired to finish. I just need to add the arms, that's all!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.