Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 Can anyone help me?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  8:36:23 PM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For whatever reason, my DH can use our Singer 155 Chunky knitting machine, but I am having trouble.

The tension, etc is the same as it is the same machine, but when I use it, either the yarn gets stuck in the carriage and the wheels, or the yarn loops on one side, or the yarn gets stuck in the gate pegs, or I loose a few stitches.

I even tried to finish the scarf he had started only to loose a few stitches, and have some yarn go on the gate pegs, and the carriage also got stuck. sigh

What am I doing wrong?

Can anyone help me?

lavatera

chiral
Warming Up

Australia
68 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  3:32:23 PM  Show Profile Send chiral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not easy without seeing what you're doing. Here are a few tips which might help:

* Don't knit too fast. This can cause the yarn to twist and catch

*Make sure you take the carriage at least 2 inches past the end of the knitting at the end of every row

* Sometimes the air can be too dry (heating?), causing static in the yarn and machine. Put a bowl of water somewhere in the room to re-humidify the air (where you won't knock it over).

*Sometimes an extra weight can make a lot of difference

* Is the yarn fluffy? You might have to rewind it over a block of paraffin wax to temporarily squash the fibers flat. It will fluff up again with a wash and a light brushing.

Your problem could be one of these or none, but I hope something helps.

Steve
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiral1/
Go to Top of Page

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  10:18:24 AM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, yes my DH also mentioned last night that my going too fast (which I do) could be the problem. I have been going fast hoping to avoid the problem. I did go and went much much slower on the knitting machine to cast on, but every time I tried it, the yarn looped on the right side, on the first stitch, and the last time, the yarn was caught around the right grey spoked circle under the carriage, and I ended up with black grease on my hand. I gave up after the third try. I also used the same yarn I used when taking a lesson at the place my DH bought the knitting machine. I do not think it is possible to go slower. I will try the water in the bowls next.

Thank you

lavatera
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  2:16:02 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If nothing else helps, the suggestions made by chiral are excellent, I would take the machine back where you had lessons, and have the instructor watch you use it. He/She may see something wrong with the balance of the machine, or something you don't realize you are doing that could be causing the trouble. All machines are different, even the same brand, and yours may need an adjustment. Or, you may need to change a small thing in your movements. Good Luck and Best Wishes!

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  6:36:06 PM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think you are right. As much as I want to avoid that store now, (when she gave me a lesson, she left me for over an hour, but charged me anyways.) I ended up being there for over three hours. I was so glad to get out that I did not care then. I will be sure that my DH comes this time, when he can take time off work for a couple of hours, so I am not stuck there. She does not do that when he is there. To be honest, I think that they would deny there was a problem, even if there was.

Thankfully I just found out that my sisters boyfriend also sells knitting machines, and I would really like his opinion on this, when he gets the chance.

I do not think machine knitting is supposed to be so frustrating, and for the moment I have gone back to hand crocheting, as it is relaxing.

Thank you so much for your patience.

lavatera
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.