Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Bulky or Chunky Machines
 What have I done wrong?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2012 :  8:56:47 PM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

I am getting used to the Singer 155 Chunky Knitting Machine, by casting on, knitting a bit, and then casting off, however, I was told by the lady who sold it to me, that since I want to make baby blankets, and I noticed that what she showed me on the machine, curled, that I could always crochet the egdes and that would fix it. I did a small white blanket, using the standard weave only, but even after crocheting the all the four edges of the blanket,it still curls just the same.

What have I done wrong? Or did she not tell me the complete truth? Will the Singer 155 Chunky Machine always curl the blankets on me, even though no mistakes were made?

Please would someone let me know.

Thanks so much,

lavatera

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  09:12:31 AM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you crochet the edge around the baby afghan try using first a single crochet. Do a single in the front of a stitch and the next one do it in the back of the stitch. For the sides where there are no actual stitches you just have to look to see where to put those stitches so they are opposite of each other. I find this helps to balance the piece. Then after you have done the sc around do some other kind of crocheted edging as you choose.

Or you could just do several rows of crochet around the piece. The more you put the more weight you have added so that the piece smooths out. There is also washing helps to relax the piece, and there is the killing of the yarn. Killing the yarn is lightly steaming it to help kill the curl. I find this works well for some yarns but not so well for others, such as acrylic yarns. It will kill the curl but the next time it is washed the curl seems to come back.

Crocheting around the edges will straighten out the curl but I find it takes several rows to do that. There are also some machine knitted edges that will help, the worm, piecrust (one of my favorites if not crocheted), and several others. I also found that many times with acrylic yarns you have to do a couple of rows of worm or piecrust to help stop that curl.

Yes the work will always curl unless you knit garter. Now there are several ways to accomplish this, 1: is to reform the stitches, 2: turn the entire row. To turn the entire row can be done several ways. You can get a garter bar which takes off all the stitches so you can turn the work and put them back on. Another is to use waste yarn and take off all the stitches onto the waste yarn, remove, turn and put back on the needles. Another that is good for smaller projects is the double pointed knitting needle, the longest you can get, your take the stitches off the needles with a double point, turn and put them back on, but this isn't a very good one for large projects.

To answer the question of if this is always going to happen, the answer is yes if you just do plain knitting. In knitting there are only two stitches, the knit and the purl. On the machine every row is knit to the back side, and purl to the front side (the side you see). So the stitches are unbalanced. Look at a piece and you will see teardrop loops interconnected vertically up the piece, this is the knit stitch. Now turn and look at the other side, you will see little bars going horizontally across the piece, this is the purl. This is stockinette fabric (called the stockinette stitch even though it isn't an actual stitch). This type of fabric always curls be it on machines, needles, knitting looms. It is the nature of the fabric. You must counter balance the knits and purls to each side to stop the curl.

Now you have a 155 machine which you can get a ribber for. That ribber does the work of counter balancing for you. The knitting bed will put the knit stitches to the back side, the ribber puts knit stitches to the front side. So that could be another option for you, if you have a ribber or can get one.

Also some stitches, such as tuck stitch will help eliminate the curl. You have a punch card machine so you could use something like the tuck stitch to help stop curling. There are others but you would have to play with the various cards to see what stitches will work for you.

There are lots of various videos on youtube that will help teach you to use your machine, show some of the cast on and cast off methods, there are different ones depending on what you want. Try checking them out.

You do have the perfect combination for working baby afghans this way. The machine can knit the basic body quite fast and you have to crochet skills to add the additional edgings around the afghan. I love to mix and match the two methods. If you haven't already done so check around the internet for some other crochet edgings. Lately I have found some that are simple to do but look awesome, example the block edging. It is done with thread with triple crochets in the example I found, but I changed it to hdc in yarn and it was awesome looking. Another is easy shell narrow edging, or hanging shells edging.

Oh one other edging I have used is the crocheted cross stitch double crochet. I did a couple rows of single crochets as a set up before the crossed stitched but that helped pull that curl out. It looks nice for boys or girls.

Go to Top of Page

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  10:14:52 AM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for all of your information.

Is there a punch card for the garter stitch? As long as it does not curl, I am happy with that.

I have not been able to find a card for that, so am wondering.

Over the years, I have seen a lot of knitted blankets, yes they were done by hand, but they did not curl at all. I know that the yarn was not killed by steam ironing, as they looked very nice.

The lady will not sell me a ribber, as she keeps telling me I do not need one. I bought the knitting machine at the only place that sells them where I live, so cannot just go elsewhere for one. Maybe I am wrong, but I think she does not like the fact that I want to make baby blankets and scarves, and give them to an orphange, so is not as helpful as I hoped.

If there is a punch card for the garter stich, please let me know.

Thanks so much for all your information,

lavatera
Go to Top of Page

Hannaht212
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  01:53:55 AM  Show Profile Send Hannaht212 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lavatera~

We are of the same thought! I inherited zillions of yarn from my ma and bought a knitting machine to make baby blankets for our local thrift shop, who also gives to the needy! AND the edging has been a challenge for me, too. I tend to use a single crochet all around before any larger stitches are used.

Amoonsinger's suggestion to alternate front and back when doing this first row sounds like a real winner for me....I just happen to have five baby blankets needing an edging !! Good luck to you!
HannahT
Go to Top of Page

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  10:23:33 AM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garter stitch can't be done on the machine with a punch card. To do garter stitch work you either need a ribber, a garter carriage, or reform the stitches by hand. This can be done with a garter bar. You use the bar to take off the work and turn it to place it back on the needles. Or you can use waste yarn, or if the work is narrow a double pointed knitting needle.

Go to Top of Page

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  10:17:19 AM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much. I have no idea why she will not sell me a ribber, so I will ask for a garter carriage so I can do the garter stitch.

Thanks again,

lavatera
Go to Top of Page

justinaknits
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  2:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit justinaknits's Homepage Send justinaknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You cannot use a garter carriage with Silver Reed machines, and even if you could, they never made them for bulky machines.

What kind of woman is this that refuses to sell you a ribber for your machine? She sounds like some kind of nut. It is now your machine, and you are free to do with it as you like, and it is your business, not hers, if you want to buy a ribber.
Watch eBay, you can get them on there sometimes. Look for an SR155 ribber. Click on the link below my signature, there is several people from Ca. in the group, and I'm sure someone there can point you toward a ribber for the SK155.

Justina
http://justinaknits.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Singer-Studio360-700knittingmachines/
Go to Top of Page

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  02:53:24 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't understand why they won't sell you a ribber either, I've been to sales they were at and they were willing to sell anything and everything. They don't have any new ones in stock, and have a used one listed for $249 which is overpriced. Look on kijiji and you may find one there or evay canada.
One alternative you have is to reform the stitches and make your own rib stitches on the bottom and up the sides, that will help the curling.
Go to Top of Page

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  10:36:16 PM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am only guessing, but I think the reason she will not sell me a ribber, is because she does not know how to use them herself, so is trying to avoid selling me one, should I then say I will pay for one lesson for her to teach me how to use it. She has told me that it is too complicated for me. sigh

Thank you for all of your help, and I will look for them where you have suggested.

Thankfully in the meantime I can crochet around the edges of the blankets.

lavatera

lavatera
Go to Top of Page

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  02:47:27 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they don't know what they are doing, they shouldn't be giving lessons at all. Look around for a machine knitting group in Toronto, there are some, you would get more help from fellow knitters than where you are going. I hope you aren't paying too much for those lessons because from what it sounds like you aren't learning anything that you should be. Also check the Yahoo groups, they have machine knitting groups for specific machines.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe